Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil v Netherlands, World Cup 3rd/4th Place Playoff, 9PM 7/12/14

• 11-07-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Opta facts :
    This will be the 12th clash between Brazil and the Netherlands (W3, D5, L3) and the fifth in World Cup finals.

In World Cups, the Dutchmen have won twice, most recently in the 2010 quarter finals (2-1). Brazil managed to win once (1994), plus a penalty shoot-out 1998 (4-2).

For the second time after 1974 and 1978, the Netherlands will finish in the top four in two consecutive World Cups.

The Dutchmen had scored 12 goals in their opening four games but failed to find the net in both the quarter-final and the semi-final, despite both matches going to extra-time.

The Netherlands have lost five of seven penalty shoot-outs in World Cups and European Championships.

Oranje will appear in their second third place game (1998 1-2 loss v Croatia).

Brazil have conceded the most goals in the current World Cup campaign (11). The last time they conceded 11 was in 1938 and they’ve never conceded more than 11.

10 of the Netherlands’ 12 goals in this tournament have come after half-time; the last four have come after the 75th minute.

In the semi-final, the Dutchmen attempted just seven shots (incl blocked) in 120 minutes – in all of their previous World Cup matches since 1966, they had managed at least 10 shots.

While Netherlands had just one shot on target in the semi-final, Brazil had eight in the 7-1 loss versus Germany.

This will be Brazil’s fourth appearance in the third place game, but their first since 1978.

Brazil have won two and lost one of their three previous appearances in the third place match.

Against Germany, Brazil conceded just 11 fouls while conceding 31 against Colombia in the quarter-final.

Only Karim Benzema (15) has had more shots on target than Robin van Persie (10) in this World Cup; but the Dutchman is yet to score in the knockout stages.

The injured Neymar (13) is the only player who created more goalscoring chances for Brazil than Marcelo (10).
    I'd expect that both teams will be changed and the fringe players will get game time.

Going for a Brazil victory in this game anyway to finish the tournament with some pride after that Germany game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

"I think that this match should never be played," said Van Gaal less than an hour after his team's 0-0 tie and subsequent 4-2 loss on penalties. "I have been saying this for the past 10 years.

"We will just have to play the game but it is unfair. We will have one day less to recover and that's not fair play. But the worst thing is, I believe, there is a chance that you lose twice in a row in a tournament in which you've played so marvelously well. You go home as a 'loser' because possibly you've lost the last two matches."

"This game has nothing to do with sports in my opinion," he added. "But I have said this 10 years or 15 years ago and nothing changed. No tournament, no football tournament, especially in the last stage, should you have players playing for third or fourth.

"There is only one prize and one award that counts for anything and that is becoming champion."

Spot on in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Flipside of that, imagine Argentina after 120minutes and penalties now ahve to play a fresh Germany with a days less rest.

I agree with pretty much the rest of it, 3rd/4th place is basically to decise who the 2nd best loser is and I cant imagine anyone really goes for it with much conviction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I watch it as the Apres Match guys take over the live punditry. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tomblyboo

who gives a fcuk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Tomblyboo wrote: »
    who gives a fcuk?

You? :confused:

you've posted about it so I imagine you give a f**k either which way.

• Advertisement

Meaningless match so I'd agree with Van Gaal there tbh.

Even though The Netherlands are a superior side I think Brazil could win this. They'll be trying to restore some pride in front of their fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Useless match, waste of time.
    Still took a bet on Brazil to win this, they have to. They ll be lynched otherwise.

Hope Van Gaal thinks a bit about Feyenoord having to play CL qualifiers soon and will not field any of the Feyenoord players tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Flipside of that, imagine Argentina after 120minutes and penalties now ahve to play a fresh Germany with a days less rest.

I agree with pretty much the rest of it, 3rd/4th place is basically to decise who the 2nd best loser is and I cant imagine anyone really goes for it with much conviction.

A days lest rest yes, but there's a massive prize at the end of it for them if they do as opposed to NL who get a day less rest and sweet F A for winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Players with a true winners mentality should come to the surface now ....

I hope LvG selects Vorm, he is the only one who didn't play in this World cup.

Could be a good match though playing Brazil who need to get a result playing at home

MagicIRL wrote: »
    A days lest rest yes, but there's a massive prize at the end of it for them if they do as opposed to NL who get a day less rest and sweet F A for winning.

2 Million difference between 3th or 4th

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    Hope Van Gaal thinks a bit about Feyenoord having to play CL qualifiers soon and will not field any of the Feyenoord players tomorrow.

Clasie could do with some game time in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Apres Match > van Gaal.

Therefore the match should go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Fred singing his respone to questions about his displays in the world cup so far..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Actually looking forward to this one. After so many cagey knockout games, the shackles should be off for both teams tonight. I expect goals and plenty of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

7-1 Netherlands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

so 1-0 then :)

Like you hope for a goal fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    so 1-0 then :)

Like you hope for a goal fest.

Yeah, I've just put the mockers on it haven't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Hoping Brazil come out to salvage some pride. Van Gaal doesn't seem arsed so expecting a decent two goal win for Brazil over a nonchalant Netherlands B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Hoping Brazil come out to salvage some pride. Van Gaal doesn't seem arsed so expecting a decent two goal win for Brazil over a nonchalant Netherlands B.

think 3rd will mean a hell of a lot more to Brazil than Holland, like you said a chance to salvage some pride .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

As a spectator I like the 3rd/4th place playoff. Often they turn out to be great games, much better to watch than the semi-finals or final itself. If the players protest against it that much, they should be allowed forfeit and go home. It's only "meaningless" in the way all football is "meaningless". Maybe finally the players can play for fun instead of so seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think the Netherlands will come 3rd and Arsenal 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I think Brazil will win this one...I'm expecting a dire match though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

873dae65-0352-4194-b801-e4dba8f178c8_veld_Oranje_5-3-2_Brazilie.jpg

That should read Brazil of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

e223a57e5881cbc91533e3c859ba0754.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not so sure that the Dutch won't care about this one.

Saw a conference with van Gaal earlier saying this is an opportunity to go home undefeated and that has never happened before so they could be up for it.

Still expect Brazil to care about it more though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Think refs will help Brazil end on somewhat of a high.

But if that's the Dutch team, their firepower (imo) outweighs the Brazilian's....

Did Hernanes piss in Scolari's cornflakes or something? He's far better than the likes of Paulinho/Ramires.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Think refs will help Brazil end on somewhat of a high.

There's always one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Wijnaldum is Georginio, Google using his first name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Cant wait for Apres take on this :)

Cant wait for Apres take on this :)

Get ready fro people saying they are great/crap/had their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Forgot the Apres Match lads do the 3rd place playoff, delighted.

Can you imagine some tourist arriving in Ireland for the first time today. Putting the TV on in the hotel room and seeing this.

They would think it's all a bit weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

No other channel in the world can do this, fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

It really is something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Pity Eamonn isn't wearing a dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

this is brilliant!

he is just a mop headed clown Bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

It's a real pity that this Bill will be gone when the real Bill goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Apres Match is total cack. Don't know how anyone finds it funny. Over to ITV...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

This David Luiz compilation is brilliant...

• Advertisement

Bye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Apres Match Peter Collins is a better commentator than real life Peter Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I bet you're fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

"Like a pack of nurses at Coppers"

Gotta love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The Peter Collins impression.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I bet you're fun.

At least your grammar is up to scratch. That's a new one for the Soccer forum.

Good defting there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Didn't think they could keep it funny but this is hilarious

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

At least your grammar is up to scratch. That's a new one for the Soccer forum.
    480px-Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Paul Dempsey impression is eerily accurate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement