Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil v Netherlands, World Cup 3rd/4th Place Playoff, 9PM 7/12/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

grenache wrote: »
    No but there are in The Olympics.

And the Community Games!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    For more giggles Fifa have given MOTM to Arjen Robben who did feck all during the game,Clasie,Vlaar,De Vrij or Blind should have got it.

Yeah Vlaar and Vrij were more impressive but Robben played part in all 3 goals. So far from feck all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    No pity needed :)

I just don't find this "paddywackery", funny captions, and the same skit over and over to be entertaining that's all.

As a 2 minute slot they occasionally get a few jokes right, but this extended drawn out thing is just painful.
    Go on. Define "paddywackery" for me.

frimpong wrote: »
    The World Cup is a lot bigger than any of those competitions. Third place in the World Cup deserves to be acknowledged.

So the Dutch coach and Brazilian coach are wrong then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they be happy? Finishing third in a World Cup is a fantastic achievement.

That was a sarcastic end to an ongoing discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Go on. Define "paddywackery" for me.

Ooh look we're only wearing boxers behind the desk... hur hur!

.. and then there's this bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

efb wrote: »

Yes they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I think third place play offs are great.

I think they should have 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th place play offs to fill the gaps between the Quarter Finals an the Final when there aren't games on every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

lmao.. the boys sitting in the studio.. haha..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Brilliant

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yes.

In Scolaris case he probably wanted to slink off home after the Germany game because he knew what was going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Lol, brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

OK - wave pen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Haha reading 'Wave pen' off the teleprompter:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

great touch to the play The Ramones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

The two lads there at the end, fair play RTE, that was a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

gas stuff

Skid X wrote: »
    I think third place play offs are great.

I think they should have 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th place play offs to fill the gaps between the Quarter Finals an the Final when there aren't games on every day.

Ireland could play in the 33rd place play off!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

R.I.P. Tommy Ramone , nice touch to finish .

Ooh look we're only wearing boxers behind the desk... hur hur!

.. and then there's this bit!
    Still haven't managed to define "paddywackery" have you? Genuinely looking for a definition of this, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I thought that was f'kin hilarious. :D

Fair play to them.

Nice touch playing out with The Ramones too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Still haven't managed to define "paddywackery" have you? Genuinely looking for a definition of this, by the way.

I think its not taking yourself too seriously, I loved the show tonight, but sure there's always one :)

Tropic Thunder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Forget it..

Some people enjoy 2 grown lads chasing each other around a studio, "funny" captions and watching the same shtick over and over .. some don't

Tropic Thunder just started. That'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Yes.

In Scolaris case he probably wanted to slink off home after the Germany game because he knew what was going to happen.

Also Van Gaal didn't know what his players were going to be like for the match, whether they would show up or not. There was always the chance Brazil would come out firing and sullying the fine run he had (especially with the state of Brazil a few days ago), so he wanted to wash his hands clean of it. He looked pretty happy when the goals went in.

Forget it..
    Thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Apres match was class. Too late now but couldve been an idea to make it an apres match style match thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Tropic Thunder...

Bit like a football match.

Good first half but terrible second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

I was disappointed with the Brazilian teams game, to call it a performance would be giving Brazil too much credit, but I really wished they scored a goal to give their loyal fans something to cheer about.

RTE 2's commentary and half time "analysis" was even more pathetic, I had to switch to the BBC to watch a professional half time discussion that pointed out the Dutch were offside in the second goal. When will RTE's standards improve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I was disappointed with the Brazilian teams game, to call it a performance would be giving Brazil too much credit, but I really wished they scored a goal to give their loyal fans something to cheer about.

RTE 2's commentary and half time "analysis" was even more pathetic, I had to switch to the BBC to watch a professional half time discussion that pointed out the Dutch were offside in the second goal. When will RTE's standards improve?

You can't mix a legit comment with a trolling one-it just doesn't work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It was a fairly meaningless match. There was an "end of term" feel to RTE's coverage, before the serious stuff tomorrow night. They've been taking the piss out of the third/fourth place play off matches for the Euros and World Cup for a while now. Personally, I look forward to it. Tonight was very entertaining. BBC or ITV wouldn't have enough imagination to do something like it. Well done RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Funny that because it was on ITV and not BBC.

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    For more giggles Fifa have given MOTM to Arjen Robben who did feck all during the game,Clasie,Vlaar,De Vrij or Blind should have got it.

Isn't that voted online??

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bit like a football match.

Good first half but terrible second half.

It seems to be trying to hard for me. I'm out.

You're right its not the BBC, it was ITV! :D
    Funny that because it was on ITV and not BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Isn't that voted online??

yep just realised this now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Who gives a crap about whether a goal was offside in a 3rd place playoff? RTEs standards are far, far higher than the dullards they have on ITV, not withstanding the fact that the punditry was literally meant to be a joke today. Not sure where standards are supposed to come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

I was disappointed with the Brazilian teams game, to call it a performance would be giving Brazil too much credit

Their world cup performance overall..........

chicken_web.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I am bewildered as to how you could be disappointed. They were pi$$ poor all the way through the first round, completely inept in their last match they continued at that level, as most people expected.
    There was no analysis on RTE. It was a comedy skit. Most of it was not the best let us say ... but the last bit with the video analysis and diagram and the skit on the younger guy was absolutely priceless.

• Advertisement

frimpong wrote: »
    The World Cup is a lot bigger than any of those competitions. Third place in the World Cup deserves to be acknowledged.
    I agree wholeheartedly. It is always a very important match. 3rd place is an important prize and you could see in the game how very seriously the players took it. 100% commitment.

And even apart from all that it was worth it to see the Brazilians hammered yet again and Luis fulfilling all of Dunphy's 'head banger' assessments of him. Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

McDermotX wrote: »
    Well, they were obviously told to liven the commentary up in line with the choice of panel.
    But Kerr seemed to go overboard, with some quality slurring every now and then.

Obviously don't know for certain, but it ended up like some fella who thinks he knows it all down the pub.

It may have started there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Who gives a crap about whether a goal was offside in a 3rd place playoff? RTEs standards are far, far higher than the dullards they have on ITV, not withstanding the fact that the punditry was literally meant to be a joke today. Not sure where standards are supposed to come into it.

You mean like when Giles is talking about how players need to be "looking for the ball" and not sit back when they go in front, or when Dunphy is talking about how everything used to be better in the glorious old days when they played real football and the cancer destroying football, or when Brady is trying to be funny or generally making a pig's ear of the analysis?

But yeah Martin O' Neill, Thierry Henry, Roy Keane, Gary Lineker etc. what the hell would those dullards know.

n32 wrote: »
    Its fair going by the Apres Match boys to be winging this all night

I'd say they were certainly winging it when "Dunphy" threw the strop about not having Joe Duffy and Derek Mooney in his dressing room.:D

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Somewhere on the island of Ireland, some tourist just in from the pub flicks on the TV in their rented holiday home and is very very very confused.

Which is great!

grenache wrote: »
    No but there are in The Olympics.

And, in Boxing in the Olympics, there are two of them. Chaw on that for a while, if you will

• Advertisement

I do. This is the World Cup 3rd place not just any random playoff. The fact that one of the teams was not good this year doesn't diminish it's value.

I could see RTE was putting on some sort of comedy from the bad wigs but I just didn't get it, I tuned in to watch a World Cup football match not some silly skit and expected something more intelligent from a national TV broadcaster.

Google the meaning of "knick, knack, paddy whack" and you'll get some idea of its original meaning.

delaad wrote: »
    And, in Boxing in the Olympics, there are two of them. Chaw on that for a while, if you will

It's a compromise so as not to make 2 people that have possibly had the **** beaten out of them from having to go at it again.

You mean like when Giles is talking about how players need to be "looking for the ball" and not sit back when they go in front, or when Dunphy is talking about how everything used to be better in the glorious old days when they played real football and the cancer destroying football, or when Brady is trying to be funny or generally making a pig's ear of the analysis?

But yeah Martin O' Neill, Thierry Henry, Roy Keane, Gary Lineker etc. what the hell would those dullards know.

Not as much as Giles or Brady in their little fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Pathetic Brasil found out again. Scolari saying the other day that the 7-1 thrashing by Germany was a one off. Lol, what a hopeless case he is, that's two now. No doubt he will stay on manager. Brasil kicked their way literally into the semi final, and I am not talking about the ball. FIFA paved the way....until the Germans showed them how to play.

• Advertisement
Advertisement