Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil v Netherlands, World Cup 3rd/4th Place Playoff, 9PM 7/12/14

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

I was disappointed with the Brazilian teams game, to call it a performance would be giving Brazil too much credit, but I really wished they scored a goal to give their loyal fans something to cheer about.

RTE 2's commentary and half time "analysis" was even more pathetic, I had to switch to the BBC to watch a professional half time discussion that pointed out the Dutch were offside in the second goal. When will RTE's standards improve?

Was that for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I do. This is the World Cup 3rd place not just any random playoff. The fact that one of the teams was not good this year doesn't diminish it's value.

I could see RTE was putting on some sort of comedy from the bad wigs but I just didn't get it, I tuned in to watch a World Cup football match not some silly skit and expected something more intelligent from a national TV broadcaster.

I do agree mostly. My only sense of acceptance comes from the fact that ITV and BBC provide such boring content in their analysis compared with RTE, fair dues to them. I am NO fan of RTE but their sports panels are 1000 times better than the British way of doing things. So I am giving them a bit of slack in their bizarre decision tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

It's a compromise so as not to make 2 people that have possibly had the **** beaten out of them from having to go at it again.

Indeed, a noble idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

To be honest I'm still laughing over 'Lorenzo'

The single best piece of analysis in the entire world cup :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

David Louise is so lol bad it's frightening.

When you think the poverty 50 million could elevate then this ****ing clown gets sold for it.
    in fact I wouldn't insult a clown comparing one to Louise. Clowns tend to be highly skilled, talented, professionals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I do. This is the World Cup 3rd place not just any random playoff. The fact that one of the teams was not good this year doesn't diminish it's value.

I could see RTE was putting on some sort of comedy from the bad wigs but I just didn't get it, I tuned in to watch a World Cup football match not some silly skit and expected something more intelligent from a national TV broadcaster.
    It's still the most meaningless match of the competition. There's 63 matches for what you want, let them do the funny stuff for this one.
    Piliger wrote: »
    I do agree mostly. My only sense of acceptance comes from the fact that ITV and BBC provide such boring content in their analysis compared with RTE, fair dues to them. I am NO fan of RTE but their sports panels are 1000 times better than the British way of doing things. So I am giving them a bit of slack in their bizarre decision tonight.

It's not bizarre if people like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

delaad wrote: »
    And, in Boxing in the Olympics, there are two of them. Chaw on that for a while, if you will

That because the WHO insisted on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

And you saw it, didn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

The best bit about the 3rd/4th place playoffs are the people who, firstly, take it seriously (neither team want to be there) and, secondly, get annoyed at the fact that RTE make a joke of it. RTE have been pulling the piss out of it for at least the last two championships, so how is this anything new?? It's a stupid game and I would argue the real chancers are the broadcasters are the ones who try to awkwardly force some sort of meaning from it.
    Those digs at the beginning of the show that RTE didn't actually have Alkin and Kerr in Brazil are currently my top non-football highlights of the entire thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

The best bit about the 3rd/4th place playoffs are the people who, firstly, take it seriously (neither team want to be there) and, secondly, get annoyed at the fact that RTE make a joke of it. RTE have been pulling the piss out of it for at least the last two championships, so how is this anything new?? It's a stupid game and I would argue the real chancers are the broadcasters are the ones who try to awkwardly force some sort of meaning from it.
    Those digs at the beginning of the show that RTE didn't actually have Alkin and Kerr in Brazil are currently my top non-football highlights of the entire thing.

Of course it has "meaning". If you want to treat it as a friendly match do so but any friendly match can be analyzed and have meaning. What "meaning" does a match that's played at the end of a group stage when both teams are out have? And at the end of the day what meaning does the final or any football have.

In fact the most curious thing about the 3rd/4th place play off are the people who go out of their way to badmouth it and insist that it has no meaning. The managers are within their rights to complain about it considering the long season and their players are tired. Once they start playing it is an actual football game and they try to play it well though it's not as serious as the other games they've been in.

Also, RTE doesn't "make a joke of it" or pull the piss out of it. They have a chance to give a lot of time to Apres Match and that's what they do. It's meant to be light-hearted, they are not saying it hasn't any meaning like you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Chelsea did good business selling Luiz, not so sure about the Oscar and Mata debate, for me Mata is a much superior player. Oscar has been really poor this tournament, which is kinda surprising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Van Persie gave his medal to a fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

efb wrote: »
    Van Persie gave his medal to a fan

Sure one dive, tackle or comment will overrule that in the season coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Sure one dive, tackle or comment will overrule that in the season coming...

?

auldgranny wrote: »
    ?

He'll be the biggest bastard in the world again according to some people here if he takes a dive or there's a mistimed tackle etc.

In other words, people don't remember the good things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

nuxxx wrote: »
    Chelsea did good business selling Luiz, not so sure about the Oscar and Mata debate, for me Mata is a much superior player. Oscar has been really poor this tournament, which is kinda surprising
    ''Good''? I'd call it outstanding. £40/50m, depending which figure you believe, for a defender that can't do the basics of defending, is a brilliant piece of business by Chelsea. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I think there's a lot more to come from Oscar. He showed what he can do in little cameos but looked marginalized for the most part in Scholari's setup. Way too much emphasis on brawn with big Phil.

Hopefully the next man in can get more out of him.

I think there's a lot more to come from Oscar. He showed what he can do in little cameos but looked marginalized for the most part in Scholari's setup. Way too much emphasis on brawn with big Phil.

Hopefully the next man in can get more out of him.

Oscar was far from their worst player, a lot of people were only too happy to jump on any little mistake he made because he got picked ahead of one of their teams players, even though Oscar is the superior player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Oscar was far from their worst player, a lot of people were only too happy to jump on any little mistake he made because he got picked ahead of one of their teams players, even though Oscar is the superior player.

Thinly veiled swipe tbh.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Thinly veiled swipe tbh.

I didn't think it was veiled at all. It was a clear swipe at the people that lolled and guffawed at any little mistake he made, you would swear he was bumbling his way through games if you just followed the posts of some people here.

Advertisement