Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do with one year old

Options
  • 11-07-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a baby who has just turned one. He's very active but is not walking yet (although he has taken some steps by accident!). I'm looking for places to go with him so we're not both stuck at home all day. The lack of walking means we're in a bit of an awkward phase as he wants to be off running around but hasn't quite figured it out yet. Lots of times he gets frustrated wanting to be off exploring but we're somewhere where it's not safe for him to crawl. If I'm out about walking around he is occupied for a while looking at things.

I did have a good group of mums to meet up with but most of them have gone back to work and the last 2 weeks I've been sitting around the house a lot. I'm going mad! I take him for walks on his trike thing but there's only so many times I can walk around the neighbourhood. I took him to the library this week but that's the only other thing we've done.

All the mother and baby groups start at 10am right when he naps. I'd love one that was in the afternoon but I can't find one. He's terrified of water so hates swimming but I was going to try that later just to see if I can get him over that. Another problem is my husband drives to work so I've no car. I do have access to the Dart and a good bus service and I try to get out and about but all I can think of at this stage is wandering aimlessly around the shops. The pool is a 30 minute walk each way but I was going to try it anyway.

Help! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi wooshy, I could've written your post a year ago when my fella was crawling. I found the panda play cafes in terenure and ballsbridge a lifesaver. They are halls with lots of toys where your LO can walk or crawl around and play in a safe environment and you can relax and have a cuppa. My fella is 19months now and I still bring him and meet friends there. You should google it and have a look.

A lot also depends on what area you're living in. There's a new soft play centre with a baby area in dundrum now aswell. But the maximum age limit is 8 years as opposed to panda which is 5 so I do find it a bit more hectic there than panda.

When my guy was napping at 10.30 am like yours I found it extremely difficult to find a parent toddler group in the afternoon. I decided to try claphandies (which to be honest I found ridiculously overpriced for what it was)... It was a morning class which didnt really suit but it enabled me to make a friend or 2 who now I meet up with every week at a time that suits us. So perhaps try a morning group just once a week as you may find you will meet other parents there and continue a friendship with them allowing to meet on ye'r own terms at times and that suit ye.

I hope you find something.... It can be really lonely being a parent sometimes. It's so important to find others in your shoes to chat to and to find places to bring your LO so ye can both get out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Thanks, I was at a play cafe when he was small (so he couldn't move). I did consider it but I was reluctant to be sitting by myself watching him get trampled on by older kids and having to intervene all the time. I was in the terenrue one before but that's when I had a car. There is one in dun Laoghaire that I was going to try but it's a bit of a walk from the dart so a good trek! I do have one friend off work still but she's been away the last couple of weeks but we're hoping to go to it when she gets back.

I guess going to something one morning a week would be a good idea. Nearly all the play groups have closed for the summer but my local library does have one still on. Hopefully I'll meet someone local there!

I made a lot of friends at my breast feeding group but as I said, most of them have gone back to work now. That was great because we'd all meet in the afternoon which suited us. I just I could find one group in the afternoon.

Woshy wrote: »
    Thanks, I was at a play cafe when he was small (so he couldn't move). I did consider it but I was reluctant to be sitting by myself watching him get trampled on by older kids and having to intervene all the time. I was in the terenrue one before but that's when I had a car. There is one in dun Laoghaire that I was going to try but it's a bit of a walk from the dart so a good trek! I do have one friend off work still but she's been away the last couple of weeks but we're hoping to go to it when she gets back.

I guess going to something one morning a week would be a good idea. Nearly all the play groups have closed for the summer but my local library does have one still on. Hopefully I'll meet someone local there!

I made a lot of friends at my breast feeding group but as I said, most of them have gone back to work now. That was great because we'd all meet in the afternoon which suited us. I just I could find one group in the afternoon.

There's a place in black rock aswell called Buzz Bees. My friend has been there a few times and she liked it. I was only there once and Wasnt that gone on it. I'm not sure where ur located but maybe that would be closer to you?

I know what you mean about the play cafes. When LO was crawling I'd be so worried he was going to get trampled. I was always running over to him. But he loved it. It's so much easier now tho that he's walking I have to say. The panda in ballsbridge is a lot bigger and better than the terenure branch.

The dundrum play area is a mission. I have a 4 month old aswell now and you really need to be able to run after your toddler there which I'm just not able to do when I'm minding my baby aswell.

Which breastfeeding group did you go to? I never went to a bf group... I prob should have as the support would have been great. I'm still exclusively bfing... Sometimes I think it'd be great to be able to get tips ect...

Sligo1 wrote: »
    There's a place in black rock aswell called Buzz Bees. My friend has been there a few times and she liked it. I was only there once and Wasnt that gone on it. I'm not sure where ur located but maybe that would be closer to you?

I know what you mean about the play cafes. When LO was crawling I'd be so worried he was going to get trampled. I was always running over to him. But he loved it. It's so much easier now tho that he's walking I have to say. The panda in ballsbridge is a lot bigger and better than the terenure branch.

The dundrum play area is a mission. I have a 4 month old aswell now and you really need to be able to run after your toddler there which I'm just not able to do when I'm minding my baby aswell.

Which breastfeeding group did you go to? I never went to a bf group... I prob should have as the support would have been great. I'm still exclusively bfing... Sometimes I think it'd be great to be able to get tips ect...

Just my local health centre one. It was great, I made some very good friends - we even went on holidays with one of them recently! I think it depends on the group of women that are going at the same time as you though. I know girls who went to their local one and nobody was very friendly.

I'm in Shankill so the Blackrock play cafe would work too. I'll give them a go. I 'm sure my boy will love them but I'm a little bit concerned about how stressful and lonely it will be for me!

You could put up a thread asking to arrange a meet it make your own group on boards either around your area. You might not get any replies or you may get one or 2. That's how I met my couple friends who I now meet at panda. It must be really tough without a car tho! We are often in ballsbridge which I know is out if your way. But if you are ever going to be in that area you could always join us.

• Advertisement

Aww, thanks that's very sweet of you! It is probably a bit far for me but if I'm that way at all I'll let you know!

tbh, it's more so things to do with him when it's just the two of us. I do have some people to meet up with it's just that we go through some phases when people are away or busy and I start to go a bit mad. I made a big effort for next week and I'm meeting people 3 out of the 5 days.

I took the baba to a play cafe yesterday and he did enjoy it but he needed me to sit next to him and didn't want me to stray far away at all (which isn't like him). I think the older kids running around scared him a bit but he was fascinated with them at the same time. So, I ended up just sitting on a bean bag next to him and it kind of felt like I was just sitting at home! We did go for something to eat together afterwards which is nice.

I"m going again next week with some friends and their babas so hopefully he'll be a bit happier if he has friends he knows that also can't walk playing with him.

He could walk if he chose to - he's taken a few steps by accident and not realised. He can stand by himself for ages but if he wants to move he drops down to his knees and crawls. He was the same with crawling. He could get in the crawling position for ages but then couldn't push himself off and move. He saw some other babies doing it and then he was all go. Maybe the play cafe will help him with the walking?!

That's great uve things organised for the week. That's what I try to do aswell :). My fella get so frustrated (as do I) if he's in the house all day. One thing I can say is that it will get so much easier when he is walking... From a things to do pojnt of view anyway. I use to worry he'd get battered by the older kids when he was crawling. But now he can walk i find I can chill a bit more and enjoy a cuppa. Also when out and about he can now go for a little walk holding my hand. And in a few months time you will probably be able to take him to an outdoor playground with swings and slides... Weather permitting of course. We've started taking our fella on the baby swings the last month and he loves it. He got his first ice cream and all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Swimming. It's 2 euro a swim in my local pool, we go once or twice a week.

Water games. I use a basin with a load of things like plastic tubs with holes in them, ping pong balls, squirtly tubes.

Gardening? My little girl is older, but she has always loved digging in the soil, rolling around in grass/mud, pulling daisies and peas. (That's what she is doing now! chasing her peas around trying to get them off the plants)

Colouring.
    Reading.
    Jigsaws.
    Songs.
    Duplo or wooden blocks.
    Fridge magnets.

Playgrounds are great. I've my 4 month old in the swings while the older girl goes on the slides and stuff.

pwurple wrote: »
    Swimming. It's 2 euro a swim in my local pool, we go once or twice a week.

Water games. I use a basin with a load of things like plastic tubs with holes in them, ping pong balls, squirtly tubes.

Gardening? My little girl is older, but she has always loved digging in the soil, rolling around in grass/mud, pulling daisies and peas. (That's what she is doing now! chasing her peas around trying to get them off the plants)

Colouring.
    Reading.
    Jigsaws.
    Songs.
    Duplo or wooden blocks.
    Fridge magnets.

Playgrounds are great. I've my 4 month old in the swings while the older girl goes on the slides and stuff.

Fair play pwurple!! Ur 4 month old is in playground swings already!? She's flying it! Id be too chicken to put mine in. Are they ye baby swings or hammock swings or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yeah, both baby swing and hammock swing (is that the one like a big sieve?). Loves them altogether, the giggles are mighty. Especially the sieve one, cos all three of us go on it. :D

I hold her on the seesaw as well, and the spring rocking-horse things.

Are there any free indoor play areas around you? There is one in a shopping center near me. Ball pit and foam mats for rolling around in.

This one is a bit extravagent maybe, but I try to bring baby/toddler to a cafe or a lunch place maybe once a month or so, just us. It's to get them used to how to behave there. I know it's a big hassle with high chairs and a buggy or sling plus nappy bag, but it pays off in the long term when they get accustomed to eating in public without tearing the place to pieces.

• Advertisement

Ah that's brilliant Pwurple. There's not a chance my girl would sit in a baby swing yet. I also bring my 2 out for lunch a good bit. My fella eats all round him tho... So I'm not sure if I could say he behaves just yet.... Lol

Advertisement