Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier league - Is it pants now?

• 11-07-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭

With each year the very best players from the Premiership cherry picked to Spain - Ronaldo, Beckham, Bale, Suarez, -will the Premiership ever bounce back to keeping its best ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

thebaz wrote: »
    With each year the very best players from the Premiership cherry picked to Spain - Ronaldo, Beckham, Bale, Suarez, -will the Premiership ever bounce back to keeping its best ??

Cesc, Costa, Herrera, Sanchez and possibly Di Maria and Luiz all coming from Spain to England this season :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Beckham? First of all you're going back 10 years there, and second he was hardly the best player in the league at the time. Pretty sure the league is doing just fine anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Costa
    Hazard
    Mata
    Herrera
    Van Persie
    De Gea
    Fabregas
    Coutinho
    Courtois
    Kompany
    Aguero
    Silva

Off the top of my head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Thread should be given a better title

But to the point, the Premier League is not, and for years has not been, the top league in Europe.

Infact, there's a valid argument to say it has never been if you take the top 2 or 3 teams out of every league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

I would have to agree, the premier league is probably the 3rd best league at the moment behind La Liga and the Bundesliga, not sure which I would place first. It has been like that for a while.

The top two players in the world at the moment play in Spain and arguably the third best player last season, Suarez is on his way. Before that Bale was the top of the players in the premiership and he has gone. There has been quite a few players to go the other way but they are not world beaters imo. With Suarez leaving the premier league has lost a major touch of class in terms of talent. He was a significant step ahead of everyone else in the league last season really.

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Thread should be given a better title

But to the point, the Premier League is not, and for years has not been, the top league in Europe.

Infact, there's a valid argument to say it has never been if you take the top 2 or 3 teams out of every league.
    Do you realise that there's 18-20 teams in each big league? Not 2? Terrible argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Beckham? First of all you're going back 10 years there, and second he was hardly the best player in the league at the time. Pretty sure the league is doing just fine anyway.

Suarez , Bale and Ronaldo have been probably been the 3 standout players in the Premiership the past few years - and each has left for Spain - put it this way will the day come when the likes of Messi would ever leave Spain in there prime for Man U or Arsenal or city ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I have fallen out of love with the premier league to be honest and it does not hold the same excitement anymore for me personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I have fallen out of love with the premier league to be honest and it does not hold the same excitement anymore for me personally.

If I was a Spurs fan I'd feel the same :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Add Mascherano, Alonso...

The VERY best players will go to Barca, Madrid, possibly now the likes of Bayern and PSG too. The top Premiership teams are left to accept hand-me-downs from those clubs (Sanchez, Cesc, Ozil), and the best of the rest (Costa).

What saves the Premiership as a league is the fact that there's 6 or 7 genuinely competitive teams all of a very high standard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

There's an easy way to find out, and it could be a massive money spinner...

Have a competition once a season where over the course of a weekend every team in the Premier League plays their corresponding team in La Liga (e.g. 1st plays 1st, 2nd plays 2nd, 3rd plays 3rd, etc., etc., all the way down).

3 points for a win, 1 for a draw. See which league comes out on top.

Actually, this is a f***ing awesome idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

If I was a Spurs fan I'd feel the same :p.

I agree 100%, you would feel the same ;)

It goes like this, new manager new players team in transition rinse and repeat. Anyway off topic for the thread.

just to clarify - I didn't put the pants bit in - pants would be the Scottish league - the Premiership is good , just each year it seams the very top players get linked to spain , and usually go .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

As long as SKY keep Hyping it up, they will always think they have the best league in the world

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

uch wrote: »
    As long as SKY keep Hyping it up, they will always think they have the best league in the world

They also have the best cycling team in the world too :D

The premier league should be exciting this season Chelsea should be challenging for top spot and Man Utd will want to break into the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't know how the idea that Barcelona and Real are prepared to spend laughable amounts of money to take the best player from the PL each year makes the PL a pants league. The logical connection here is escaping me.

All that tells us is that there are two obscenely wealthy clubs in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The premier league is rubbish. It has some world class players, no doubt, but there are too many teams playing utterly awful football. When they play against the teams who play good football, they try to kill the game, making it poor to watch in most cases. Then when 2 teams who can play good football come up against each other, it's usually (but not always) a tight affair with both sides nullifying each other, making it poor to watch.

You could count the amount of exciting games with genuinely great football and solid tactical play in the premier league every season on two hands IMO.

As a hype vehicle and occasional spectacle it's alright, but as a league that consistently delivers good football it's nowhere close to where most would attempt to have you believe.

I'd honestly rather watch the MLS than the Premier League these days, at least there even if the football isn't world class, you get teams trying to play, and their lack of strength relative to each other makes for a more enjoyable watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

thebaz wrote: »

Can't believe you didn't mention Luiz!

patmac wrote: »
    Can't believe you didn't mention Luiz!

probably best bit of business Abramovich & Mourinho ever did - talking about over hyped & pants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We are very lucky to have one of the best leagues in the world a 20 euro Ryanair flight away from us.

• Advertisement

Do you realise that there's 18-20 teams in each big league? Not 2? Terrible argument.

What are you talking about? :rolleyes:

I'm talking about looking at the entire league, NOT just the top 2/3 clubs!!

What are you talking about? :rolleyes:

I'm talking about looking at the entire league, NOT just the top 2/3 clubs!!

So what's this all about then?

So what's this all about then?

It's saying if you look at the other 17/18 teams in the PL as against other leagues (i.e. take AWAY the top 2 or 3 - a better way of putting it ), the PL wasn't the top league in Europe even when they were considered to be so - by most!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

It's saying if you look at the other 17/18 teams in the PL as against other leagues (i.e. take AWAY the top 2 or 3 - a better way of putting it ), the PL wasn't the top league in Europe even when they were considered to be so - by most!

In terms of how it is managed, advertised, the quality of grounds, pitches, attendences, how money is shared, how competitive it is, then yes, its the best by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

real madrid and Barcelona always have cheerie picked the best players paying what they need to get them. I dont think it means english clubs cant hold on too there best players i think in fairness they just see the realistic financial nature of selling players for those huge amounts. Bayern would sell any of there players for these kind of sums as well. Sometimes its just the nature of business.

Ronaldo, bale, Suarez is mad money for players and clubs can buy three or four players for that money and Still compete in their leauge and in europe. Real and Barca have hardly dominated the champs leauge now have they?

last ten champs leauges
    spain 4 England 3 Italy 2 and Germany 1

Not exactly running away with it each year. Each leauge has strong sides but i think the premership is stronger going down than other leauges as the clubs have better resourses to spend. Its all opinions the premership is quick paced, Germany is really well supported fantastic atmosphere, spain has some brillant sides and atlethico winning last year was great drama.

This stuff about the PL being more competitive is a myth

Athletico won La Liga with 90 points - Osasuna were 18th with 39

Man City won the PL with 86 - and you only needed 33 points to survive

The evidence doesn't say the PL is more competitive at all to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It has been going downhill ever since Ronaldo left. If it were not for the likes of City and Chelsea (who are ruining football according to some) the league would be very weak in terms of players you would tune into see them play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

No matter who you support once a Pl club has a truly world class player barca or real the two biggest clubs in the world will come and take that player if they feel they need him. They tend to sell to PL clubs on their terms. Even with all the money in the Pl I can't see this change as the only players that maybe won't go are English and there is very rarely a truly world class English player.Europeans and south Americans will all want to end up at these two huge clubs and who can blame them. Don't think it makes the Pl pants it's just the way of the football world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

uch wrote: »

Can't help but link this everytime I see this type of post...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

The Premier League is getting a bad name here as i do thing there is a lot better teams in the League then in Germany and Spain. Like outside the major teams in both places. Can you name any of the teams or any of the players in the teams ?. As i watch and keep up with a lot of football and who wont's to watch a game of Mainz 05 V Augsburg as who the hell are they ?. Like can people name anyone from them teams ?.I think the teams in England are a lot stronger going down the table when you look at Spain and Germany. As to me any top team can lose to any team in England more so to Germany and Spain. Look at the way Munich when the league this year in Germany ? as there was no one else who had a strong team to win it as well. England this year there was 4 teams to nearly the end who could have won the title as liverpool last it on one game and chelsea the same.

I just think the love of german football and Spanish Football comes from the bandwagon of Dortmund and Atlético just because of them doing well. I can say the same in england with all these man city fans i never met a man city fan before they started buying all the players over the last few years. Even look at Utd this year they done crap but i am a UTD fan and i will keep on sticking by them even if they don't win anything for years as i have been a fan since i was 4 years old and i have never changed i am also a fan of juventus due to my father being a boyhood fan of them as he is from Italy.

Like another League that gets a bad name is also the Italian League as there is very few big name footballers and no money in Italy but there is some great games to watch there as the teams are made to make players there as they cant just go buy a player for 10 mil like in England.

As every League gos trow stages like Italy had the best players in the 80s and 90s. Look at the juventus team in the 80s and 90s some of the best footballers in the world played there. But now there not that great but it only takes a team in Italy to win a euro cup to start the crazy buying there again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

People always throw out the "brainwashed by Sky" line when someone says the premier league is the best but then never say what is the best league which at the end of the day probably is the premier league for quality overall and entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

The Premier League is getting a bad name here as i do thing there is a lot better teams in the League then in Germany and Spain. Like outside the major teams in both places. Can you name any of the teams or any of the players in the teams ?. As i watch and keep up with a lot of football and who wont's to watch a game of Mainz 05 V Augsburg as who the hell are they ?. Like can people name anyone from them teams ?.I think the teams in England are a lot stronger going down the table when you look at Spain and Germany. As to me any top team can lose to any team in England more so to Germany and Spain. Look at the way Munich when the league this year in Germany ? as there was no one else who had a strong team to win it as well. England this year there was 4 teams to nearly the end who could have won the title as liverpool last it on one game and chelsea the same.

I just think the love of german football and Spanish Football comes from the bandwagon of Dortmund and Atlético just because of them doing well. I can say the same in england with all these man city fans i never met a man city fan before they started buying all the players over the last few years. Even look at Utd this year they done crap but i am a UTD fan and i will keep on sticking by them even if they don't win anything for years as i have been a fan since i was 4 years old and i have never changed i am also a fan of juventus due to my father being a boyhood fan of them as he is from Italy.

Like another League that gets a bad name is also the Italian League as there is very few big name footballers and no money in Italy but there is some great games to watch there as the teams are made to make players there as they cant just go buy a player for 10 mil like in England.

As every League gos trow stages like Italy had the best players in the 80s and 90s. Look at the juventus team in the 80s and 90s some of the best footballers in the world played there. But now there not that great but it only takes a team in Italy to win a euro cup to start the crazy buying there again

Thats because you're from Ireland. People from Britain and Ireland are surrounded and bombarded with the EPL. That's why you'd have an idea of the players in a Hull v Crystal Palace match. But if you go to Germany or Austria, the average fan over there wouldn't know much about Dave Meyler or Joel Ward. They would know a lot more about Mainz 05 v Augsburg than Hull v Palace.

Your argument seems to be, 'a lower league EPL match is better than a lower league Bundesliga match because I know players at the likes of Hull but not at the likes of Augsburg. It's a fairly ignorant argument if I'm honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

frimpong wrote: »
    Thats because you're from Ireland. People from Britain and Ireland are surrounded and bombarded with the EPL. That's why you'd have an idea of the players in a Hull v Crystal Palace match. But if you go to Germany or Austria, the average fan over there wouldn't know much about Dave Meyler or Joel Ward. They would know a lot more about Mainz 05 v Augsburg than Hull v Palace.

Your argument seems to be, 'a lower league EPL match is better than a lower league Bundesliga match because I know players at the likes of Hull but not at the likes of Augsburg. It's a fairly ignorant argument if I'm honest.

Sorry but i wasn't bombed with english football as i said before i am 1/2 Italian and will also add i have had a Italian box that showed all football from around euro since the days before streaming on the internet.

OF course people from Ireland and the UK with say the EPL is the best as thats what the watch all the time i am sorry to say. Just because you don't like EPL you should not just go moan about it online as everyone has there own views on football as i said in my last post all football gos trow stages in witch one is more watched then the next.

But you forget that Austria also has there own fairly ok football league so why would they watch german lower football over there own ?.

But the lower EPL side would have better players then say a lower Bundesliga team as you have to think the amount of international in the lower sides in the EPL over the Bundesliga teams

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Sorry but i wasn't bombed with english football as i said before i am 1/2 Italian and will also add i have had a Italian box that showed all football from around euro since the days before streaming on the internet.

OF course people from Ireland and the UK with say the EPL is the best as thats what the watch all the time i am sorry to say. Just because you don't like EPL you should not just go moan about it online as everyone has there own views on football as i said in my last post all football gos trow stages in witch one is more watched then the next.

But you forget that Austria also has there own fairly ok football league so why would they watch german lower football over there own ?.

But the lower EPL side would have better players then say a lower Bundesliga team as you have to think the amount of international in the lower sides in the EPL over the Bundesliga teams

Where did I say I don't like the EPL? And where did I moan about the EPL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

You're all crazy, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich are not representative of the standard in their leagues, these clubs can take players from the big Premiership clubs(and anybody else). Nobody else can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Of course people are brainwashed by Sky. If the Premier League was only shown on BBC or ITV, (with the same cash injection Sky has given it over the years), there would be f*ck all hype. Similarly, if Sky showed the FA cup it would be the best domestic cup in the world but because it's given meh coverage by ITV people have a meh attitude towards it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

frimpong wrote: »

Please just ignore his post as I personally know he does not have a clue about football or just sport in general.

In regards to the question that the OP has poised. In Ireland & The UK (without any facts) it seems to be as popular as ever and always gaining. Possibly losing a bit of its sparkle throughout Europe with a few teams cropping up in exciting leagues with a difference.

Saying the league is pants is far ott. (Whoever wrote it)

Advertisement