Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DONADEA 50KM 10th feb 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Trampas wrote: »

Some people expect people to drop everything when they come calling as if they're the most important people about. Maybe they should try organise a race and see how they get on

Eh nobody expects anything here. Personally, i was just looking for a little info. I like to analyse, look over photos and read peoples previous experiences about events I enter. That's the only reason why I mentioned the FB group.

I have a lot of respect for anybody who gives up their free time to any race or event. I know quite about the effort involved in organising races etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I'd echo what others have said, it's a special sort of event. Not sure about the facebook page, it still exists for sure.

Not too much info I can offer except that it's ten laps of the forest path in Donadea and the cut-off of five hours is pretty strictly enforced.

I've attached the entry form if it's of use.

wowzer wrote: »
    Eh nobody expects anything here. Personally, i was just looking for a little info. I like to analyse, look over photos and read peoples previous experiences about events I enter. That's the only reason why I mentioned the FB group.

I have a lot of respect for anybody who gives up their free time to any race or event. I know quite about the effort involved in organising races etc..

The Facebook group is still active and had posts from the admin yesterday. Not sure why you would not be accepted. Can you request again?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

The Facebook group is still active and had posts from the admin yesterday. Not sure why you would not be accepted. Can you request again?

If my access request is not being accepted then that's fair enough.

I thought and hoped any previous issues were now water under the bridge and everyone was moving forward.

It is what it is, I won't harp on about it anymore.

wowzer wrote: »
    If my access request is not being accepted then that's fair enough.

I thought and hoped any previous issues were now water under the bridge and everyone was moving forward.

It is what it is, I won't harp on about it anymore.

Maybe some of his little minions on here will put a word in for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Kinda thinking about this for my first ultra.

But to prove you can run it under 5 hours, how do you do that if you haven't run a marathon in 6 years and nothing further than 10k in 6 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Kinda thinking about this for my first ultra.

But to prove you can run it under 5 hours, how do you do that if you haven't run a marathon in 6 years and nothing further than 10k in 6 years?

Everyone i know who has done this has had a qualifying time within the previous 12 months before the event. To get a place you need a sub five hour 50k or a sub 4:10/4:15 marathon (not sure of exact marathon time).

If you havent done anything more than 10k in recent years then you would need to do a marathon to show you are capable of the time cutoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

eve wrote: »
    If you havent done anything more than 10k in recent years then you would need to do a marathon to show you are capable of the time cutoff.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Entry confirmed, looking forward to giving this a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Does anyone know is there a closing date for registration/application to this race?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Ed McGroarty

purelike wrote: »
    Does anyone know is there a closing date for registration/application to this race?

"Whenitsfullitsfull"

If you're planning on entering then the sooner the better Id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

My understanding is that it is filling up quite well. Now is the time to get your entry in. It may get announced when there's just a few spots remaining but as entry is by post and not a website, a person could send in their entry at that point and miss a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

This is very tempting...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Did this for the first time & loved it in 2017. I'm in again for 2018

“Removed by reasonable request”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I suppose you could adjust all paces 16% - so 8:20 becomes 9:40 etc.

But it sound like a question for GOH himself - according to the page he will answer queries regularly.

Murph_D wrote: »

But it sound like a question for GOH himself - according to the page he will answer queries regularly.

Will do thanks, I need to go reread yours and younganne training logs for last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

diego_b wrote: »
    Will do thanks, I need to go reread yours and younganne training logs for last year!

I just did 12-week version of P&D 55, adding a few miles to the long runs and/or adding some back to back Sat/Sun MLR/LR combinations. It seemed to work reasonably well in terms of endurance. Most of the advice I got was that the training shouldn't be much different from regular marathon training, so no need to reinvent wheels etc.

Murph_D wrote: »

My training was marathon training with sessions on Saturdays so running long on tired legs on Sunday. Helped big time when legs got tired during the 50k event, I could keep going at similar pace even though the legs were tired.

I probably put up my planned weekly training at the start of each week and as you know my Coach knows what its all about. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Hey Diego, looks like I'll finally get to catch up with you at a race :) I'm in for Donadea too.

I did some work on adjusted Garys plan to suit a 4:31 50km which should equate to a 3:45 marathon (using McMillan calculator). Ambitious for me but may as well start somewhere.

It worked out for me as:
    Easy pace at 9:20/mi
    Tempo @ 8:25/mi
    LSR @ 9:05 - 9:15/mi
    Race pace @ 8:44
    Marathon pace @ 8:34

That may be way out though, it's just guestimation.

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    Hey Diego, looks like I'll finally get to catch up with you at a race :) I'm in for Donadea too.

I did some work on adjusted Garys plan to suit a 4:31 50km which should equate to a 3:45 marathon (using McMillan calculator). Ambitious for me but may as well start somewhere.

It worked out for me as:
    Easy pace at 9:20/mi
    Tempo @ 8:25/mi
    LSR @ 9:05 - 9:15/mi
    Race pace @ 8:44
    Marathon pace @ 8:34

That may be way out though, it's just guestimation.

Interesting Neady! After getting a little burnt with the pace for trying for 3:40 in Dublin I was being a bit more conservative for the 50K but in truth I would like to have a go at 4:30. I am going on my marathon time of 3:43 from Tralee to still have merit and that I've managed to improve my half marathon time since I have to take Dublin as just a bad plan/prep/day/pace and that if I knuckle down I'd hopefully be back on track. I think MarthaStew paced 4:30s last year and I asked MrStew at the pacers stand at the DCM expo was she doing the same and he didn't know yet but said she'd likely either be pacing or racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hillview123

Are the numbers for the race posted out or is it collect on the day ?

Also is there an area to leave food and drink that can be taken during the race ?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

Also is there an area to leave food and drink that can be taken during the race ?

I've done this a few times, I can't remember how I got my number, possibly registered on the morning and collected T shirt at the same time.

There was a long table opposite the coffee shop and I left my food, jacket etc there.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

collect number on morning of race ,table provided for runners grub(remember its not a picnic) then run 10 laps and head off...

Unfortunately I'm out of this for this year due to a rotated pelvis...hope to be back for 2019.

Good luck to all, hope to be there on the day marshaling/supporting/freezing.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Very quiet here. Is it cancelled or is everyone crapping themselves:D.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

Very quiet here. Is it cancelled or is everyone crapping themselves:D.

well, when my longest run in 2 months is 15miles... i am def crapping myself:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    well, when my longest run in 2 months is 15miles... i am def crapping myself:eek:

Two of us in the same boat so, done feck all long run wise since a marathon in early December.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Trying not to think too much about it but it'll be making me a tetchy so and so all week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Just been to the doctor for antibiotics and steroids for a chest infection. I asked him about my chances of running 50km on Saturday and he said "listen to your body" ... that's code for "yes, of course you can run 50km on Saturday" right?

Advertisement