Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DONADEA 50KM 10th feb 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Neady83 wrote: »
    Just been to the doctor for antibiotics and steroids for a chest infection. I asked him about my chances of running 50km on Saturday and he said "listen to your body" ... that's code for "yes, of course you can run 50km on Saturday" right?

Doctors are overrated, go for it:)

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Just been to the doctor for steroids
    u goin for the win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

u goin for the win

That's what he said ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That's what he said ;)

TUE's IN!

Are the t-shirts pink?

• Advertisement

Are the t-shirts pink?

just ur 1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck to all. Kind of sorry I deferred now that everyone seems to be running it on one leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck to everyone. Its a great event.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Big field. I had wanted to bring the kids out for support, hi 5s and making snowmen. Alas, the rain scuppered that. No snow was the killer, they're not in the mood now. Have a great day!

• Advertisement

Stupid question alert.

What time does the race start? Serious question:D

Stupid question alert.

What time does the race start? Serious question:D

RACE DAY INSTRUCTIONS.READ THEM AND NO STUPID QUESTIONS PLEASE

Race start time ....10:00 am sharp
    Number pick up….Will take place in Donadea Forest from 8:15-9:15. The barrier will be up from 8:10am until 9:00am,after that you are paying a fiver in,Dont be that guy that is late and is holding everyone up…. ENTER THROUGH THE MAIN DONADEA ENTRANCE and go to the carpark. Park in one of the spaces and go directly to registration..Be Early

The course…. 10 x 4.968 km loops with a 0.32km run up to the start line to make it 50km.The course will be marked at every km,but due to the nature of the course(extra run up)the km markers will only take into account the actual loop.BE AWARE THERE IS GOING TO BE ABOUT 200 OF YOU WHO WILL BE LAPPED,MOST OF THE 200 WILL GET LAPPED MULTIPLE TIMES,DO NOT GATHER INTO GROUPS AND TAKE OVER THE PATH.IF YOU HEAR A RUNNER COMING UP BEHIND YOU MOVE ASIDE.REMEMBER THIS IS A RACE,NOT A FUN RUN

.http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118322861

Start line...There is a new start line and finish line,We will be starting at the front of the castle and finishing at the front of the cafe,the route is still the exact same.

Race Briefing.....Race briefing is at 9:40 Sharp. :)

The 5hr cut off…Everyone who has entered knows there is a 5hr cut off.There is a 5hr pacer/sweeper running at 9:38minutes per mile or 6 minutes per km, his and her job is to get you to 40km in 4hrs .FOR anyone MORE THAN 30 minutes behind at this point, you may be asked to leave the course and DNF'd and abused for being slow,if you have compression gear on we will double the abuse.Anyone finishing after 5hrs will not be on the results,no exceptions.The last person i see on the finishing straight at 5:00:00 gets to turn off the clock There is also a 445 pacer and a 4:30 pacer provided.NO IFS,BUTS, MAYBES,COULD OF'S,SHOULD OF'S or SAD STORIES.THE CLOCK GOES OFF WHEN THE LAST PERSON I SEE AT 4:59:59 PASSES OVER THE LINE

First aid….Saint John's Ambulance will be in attendance for the duration of the race (5hrs)

Food/water stations….There will be water provided in bottles and unlimited water in cups and there will be sugary drinks and at the start/ finish area. There will be tables provided for you to put any drinks or food that you bring for yourself.Please remember it is not a picnic,don't bring tonnes of grub and take up half a table,no has died of starvation or dehydration in Donadea yet.bring any of your belongings away from the table when you are finished. I do not offer a lost and found service, anything left on the table after 5+ hrs goes into a bin or if its decent into my running clothes drawer

Timing…Lap timing will be provided by Pop Up Races.As with everything old school the race is run off Gun time.Wear your number on the front of your body,not underneath your coat or wrapped up in a ball in your pocket.Please don't stop at the timing desk and ask Brian what lap you are on ,If you are unsure look at your watch.If that dosen't work ask someone to find out for you and continue on with your lap,if you have done an extra lap,you should of checked earlier,We will try and call out when you are on your last lap.

Directions ….From Dublin take (N4) leave the motor way at junction 8(kilcock), head towards Clane (R407). At approximately 6km, turn right at Baltreacy cross and drive through minor crossroads, continue to next junction (stop sign), turn right and the forest entrance is circa 1km on the left hand side.
    From the west (M4), get off at junction 8 (Kilcock) 1st exit after toll, and follow directions above.
    From the south (M7), take the Naas exit, junction 9. Drive towards Sallins, Clane and follow signs for Kilcock. Entering Clane Main Street, turn left at Topaz garage and drive 6+km, up to Baltreacy cross, turning left and following directions above.
    Please familiarise yourself with the route to Donadea forest park as I won't be taking phone calls looking for directions. The race will start on time.

Environment …..
    The race is run on the leave no trace principal (http://www.leavenotraceireland.org.) There will be bins at the start/finish area and with any Marshalls on duty. Please do not litter the course and please use the bins for any gels, bottles or wrappers that you may use on the course. Do not leave any gels, bottles, any foodstuffs of any kind at the km markers or directional signs. Anyone littering will be disqualified and asked to leave the course as per the environment policy.

Toilets….The Donadea forest Cafe has kindly let us use their services ,please leave them as you found them and if they are in need of attention please inform a Marshall. There will also be four portaloos on the course

There are NO facilities for showering in the forest park ,unless you fancy skinny dippin in the lake, so bring warm dry clothes to get into after the race. There is no post-race refreshments available, please bring something to eat post-race. There is a cafe in the forest for tea's and coffee

MASSAGE There will be limited massage available during and post-race provided by a Hot Burd from Kinseally👩*🌾

Medals ….Will be presented as you finish
    Presentation of winners trophies will take place 15 minutes after 3rd place gets sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best event on the Irish racing calendar, will miss marshaling at it this year. Best of luck Anto and all running.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best event on the Irish racing calendar, will miss marshaling at it this year. Best of luck Anto and all running.

If you see me make yourself known. I have a crispy €20 note with your name on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

If you see me make yourself known. I have a crispy €20 note with your name on it!

Won’t be there B, Anto wouldn’t pay for my flight home to marshal!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

What's the surface gonna be like?
    Does it turn into a mud bath in lap 6?

Ran the 10k there in October and it was fine but we did not do 10 laps...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

echancrure wrote: »
    What's the surface gonna be like?
    Does it turn into a mud bath in lap 6?

Ran the 10k there in October and it was fine but we did not do 10 laps...

The course tends to hold up pretty well. The conditions at lap 10 will be similar enough to lap 1.

Have a look before the start, you'll get a good idea what it's going to be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

It's been too long since I did this race- one of the best on the calendar for sure. maybe next year.

Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Good luck to all doing this. Had intended on doing it this year but wimped out. Will aim for it again next year..

Most definitely a superb event, enjoy every minute of it.....

Well done all, good show.
    DNF for me.

• Advertisement

Well done to all the runners today, ye were all smiling from ear to ear each time ye went around. Some great running done out there.

Great race directing Anto, I'd highly recommend this supporting business, it's fierce entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

A mucky day for sure but it stayed dry for the race. Finished in 3:44:5? on a pretty even pace I think. My Garmin 230 could not cope with all the trees (says I only covered 17 miles overall!) after 15k so I had to the k sign to pace myself: back to the good all days.

Anto says I finished 12th, awaiting official results to confirm.

It's a good event, no messing, the muck probably slows you down but it was fine with ordinary shoes.

Will probably return next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

So where do I vote for race of the year again, loved it.
    “If you can’t do a 5K in 30mins then F off and do an Ironman”....Race briefing
    “Skinny people to the front, fat people to the back”....shuffling to the middle of the pack here laughing
    “Hard luck, you should have trained harder and ran faster”...5:02 finisher

I hope someone has some more, such a great day and now have (3) t-shirts and a hoodie to wear with pride.

diego_b wrote: »
    So where do I vote for race of the year again, loved it.
    “If you can’t do a 5K in 30mins then F off and do an Ironman”....Race briefing
    “Skinny people to the front, fat people to the back”....shuffling to the middle of the pack here laughing
    “Hard luck, you should have trained harder and ran more”...5:02 finisher

I hope someone has some more, such a great day and now have (3) t-shirts and a hoodie to wear with pride.

to poor unfortunate who let rip as he passed us "Oi you, no farting allowed on the course"

"it's 10 laps of 5km, now f**k off" ... also Race briefing :D

I wish I had recorded it, UM, you're a tonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Gary O'Hanlon broke the Irish record he already held, 2:54:39.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Theboyblunder was second in 3.17

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

A great day, 4hr 48 mins for me. The muddy conditions added to the challenge but the rain stopping just before the race started was a big help.

I stayed with the 2 ladies who were the 4hr 45 mins pacers for 8 3/4 laps but then I slowed up a bit to the end. Thanks to the pacers who did a great job!

Overall very happy with my run. I was only 3 mins off my PB from 2013.

3rd Donadea done ('12, '13 & '18) and will be definitely be back to do it again.

Thanks to Anto and everyone who helped yesterday. My favourite race by far!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Bit of a mud pit yesterday but enjoyable nonetheless. If only all race briefings were like that! Bit slower than the last few years but went into it just wanting to finish and maybe sneak under 4:30 if that became possible. Spent the first ~20k with the 4:30 pace group and then got separated a small bit so spent the next 5 laps running by hr (keeping it lowish) and expecting the group to come past me at some stage. Much to my surprise that didn't happen so on the last lap & feeling ok was able to speed up a little & ran that one the fastest of the day. Maybe there's something to this hr pacing thing as normally I'd be like an extra from the Walking Dead at that stage :)

Didn't bother with any water or food during the run as doesn't seem to make much difference (if any) where I'm concerned.

Great running by Gary O'Hanlon, lost track of how many times he lapped me! Nice result from Thomas dipping under the 4h & taking time to say hello on his last lap when he zipped past. Loved the support from the volunteers on the route so big thanks to them & of course to all the people doing the pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Great crack, Anto was even funnier than usual and the course a lot muddier than I can remember, though in my old age memory tends to start becomign unreliable.

Apart from the volunteers I need to say special hanks to Singer for sharing a couple of laps and everyone else who kept up the spirits. Opus looked like he had no more than a couple of miles under his belt he was so comfortable. And thanks to Don for the lift and Karina for the company. (who did I forget? Olwyn for the cakes, who else?)

I was expecting anything between 3:50 and 4 and made it by 3 seconds after a sprint finish :) though I didn't expect it to be quite so tough towards the end, to be honest.

Race report is done as well, if anybody's interested and has a lot of spare time on their hands. http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.ie/2018/02/irish-national-50k-championships-donadea.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Gary O'Hanlon broke the Irish record he already held, 2:54:39.

Catriona Jennings also with a huge National record taking 6 min off the previous record with her 3.24.29 performance

Advertisement