Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DONADEA 50KM 10th feb 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 foreverblue

Best of luck to "ULTRAMAN" and all the gang in Donadea RC on Saturday, who never fail in putting on a top class event! No miles done so will be up to support this year and best of luck to all taking part too! Really strong field this year. Run well and enjoy probably the best race of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

Anyone on here going for a sub 3hr 30 min for the 50k in Donadea?
    If so im looking to run with someone and maybe take the work load for each lap .
    (One person keep the pace on one lap and then change to the other)
    Would defintly help each other as taking the stress away from consintly checking the garmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Hi Ray. Give me a holler at the start. I'm hoping for around the same (best case scenario). Race number 8. Real name: Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

If so im looking to run with someone and maybe take the work load for each lap .
    (One person keep the pace on one lap and then change to the other)
    Would defintly help each other as taking the stress away from consintly checking the garmin.

What's that about 6:45 - I might come along for the spin, not sure I'll make it all the way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Won't be too far off that pace myself. The 3.30 bus looks like it'll be busy!

• Advertisement

Right so be unreal if we had a nice group as we all could take turns on keeping the pace,would make it real handy for us all.
    Ya wont miss me with me big Bald head on me and I never run without me stocking suspenders.
    Gonna be some sprint finish hahaha

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    What's that about 6:45 - I might come along for the spin, not sure I'll make it all the way though.
    Was trying to make it up running the other day think its 6.45 or near to it,maybe we keep it 6.44s all the way or faster:eek:.
    If I can get to marathon distance at that pace I be well inside marathon pb:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Was trying to make it up running the other day think its 6.45 or near to it,maybe we keep it 6.44s all the way or faster:eek:.
    If I can get to marathon distance at that pace I be well inside marathon pb:)

Then a sub 20 last lap for the Glory :P

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Then a sub 20 last lap for the Glory :P
    That be greedie:)
    crazy to think that we be running at a decent clip yet we going to get lapped a few times of the likes off o hanlon etc.:eek:
    Just shows the level some of these lads are at:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

If so im looking to cycle with someone.
    :)

• Advertisement

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Anto thanks for planting the seed with the 3.30.
    Was wondering how that got into the back of me head:)
    Just make sure theres plenty of medics for me.
    If I fall at that speed there could be a sunamy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

quick question :

is it ok to bring a chiller box and leave it at the food/drink stations?

self and a mate are running on sat and were thinking of just working out of the same box with a few bottles, gels etc in it?

do you have to use the tables provided or does it matter?

thanks

r

Rantan wrote: »
    quick question :

is it ok to bring a chiller box and leave it at the food/drink stations?
    self and a mate are running on sat and were thinking of just working out of the same box with a few bottles, gels etc in it?
    Do you have to use the tables provided or does it matter?
    thanks
    r
    as long as there is beer in it.....and as long as it in thé area designated for food and helpers ...there is only drinks station.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

as long as there is beer in it.....and as long as it in thé area designated for food and helpers ...there is only drinks station.

a. can be arranged for helpful race organisers;)
    b. thanks

r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Getting real now :eek:
    Good value in wheelworx Fonthill - marathon race pack reduced from €19.99 to €9.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Enduro

kit3 wrote: »
    Getting real now :eek:
    Good value in wheelworx Fonthill - marathon race pack reduced from €19.99 to €9.99

Even if you paid me 99.99 to take that I still wouldn't go near it in a race. Pure junk.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I got those kits free a few times, and eventually threw them out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Enduro wrote: »
    Even if you paid me 99.99 to take that I still wouldn't go near it in a race. Pure junk.

Matter of interest Endoro, what would you consume/eat running an ultra?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Interestingly I use High 5 so I might pop down there and get some supplies. Thanks.

Each to their own regarding nutrition. I have always used the High 5 gels in races. They have never caused me any issues. I do all my long runs (up to 24 miles) without water/gels etc. but do feel they help when in race effort. This may be physiological but I find it helps so that's enough for me.

ur better off with SIS......:)

• Advertisement

ur better off with SIS......:)

In fairness, I did think of that given the sponsorship but I haven't used them before so was afraid to take the chance !

Oryx wrote: »
    I got those kits free a few times, and eventually threw them out!

To each their own - I also have done training runs up to 20 miles or so with only water but feel I need the boost in races & have used the High 5 gels before for this. Really couldn't be sure if it is physical or psychological (or a bit of both) but I definitely feel a boost & that works for me so I use them :)

In fairness, I did think of that given the sponsorship but I haven't used them before so was afraid to take the chance !
    Dey all the same ...toothpaste and sugar...ur better off with a cheese sambo

Dey all the same ...toothpaste and sugar...ur better off with a cheese sambo

Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to run with my cheese sambos but for now I need all the psychological help I can get and if that's viewed as bad then so be it ................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to run with my cheese sambos but for now I need all the psychological help I can get and if that's viewed as bad then so be it ................................

Last year I went with fun size mars bars and wispas. Taste nicer than gels.

tang1 wrote: »
    Matter of interest Endoro, what would you consume/eat running an ultra?

for a 50km, nothing. When I set my 24 hour PB, once piece of Melon was all I ate (just cause it looked tasty, not cause I thought I needed it!). When I set the Wicklow way record, one jaffa cake, again cause it looked nice, not cause I needed it :))

To each their own - I also have done training runs up to 20 miles or so with only water but feel I need the boost in races & have used the High 5 gels before for this. Really couldn't be sure if it is physical or psychological (or a bit of both) but I definitely feel a boost & that works for me so I use them :)

I wouldn't dispute the benifits of phsycological boosts... far from it! I bet Jelly beans would give you the same benifit with a much better taste and a much smaller cost though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

for a 50km, nothing. When I set my 24 hour PB, once piece of Melon was all I ate (just cause it looked tasty, not cause I thought I needed it!). When I set the Wicklow way record, one jaffa cake, again cause it looked nice, not cause I needed it :))

your sample of 1 has blown me away and convinced me to give up eating full stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

What about the night or evening prior to an event above 50k? I appreciate its different for us all & you been asked this question a million times before, just curious as to what gets you through a race of that magnitude? Obviously fitness plays a huge part.

• Advertisement

your sample of 1 has blown me away and convinced me to give up eating full stop!

A sample of one is useful for one thing if nothing else... it shows that you don't need to eat, and anyone who says that you need to be consuming xx calories per hour in a race is just plain wrong.

Advertisement