Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DONADEA 50KM 10th feb 2018

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Enduro wrote: »
    :)

A sample of one is useful for one thing if nothing else... it shows that you don't need to eat, and anyone who says that you need to be consuming xx calories per hour in a race is just plain wrong.
    I dont eat or drink for long training runs, (though relative to yours, theyre not long) and its fine. But do you think this is something the body needs to be trained to do over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

tang1 wrote: »
    What about the night or evening prior to an event above 50k? I appreciate its different for us all & you been asked this question a million times before, just curious as to what gets you through a race of that magnitude? Obviously fitness plays a huge part.

These days my preference would be for meal something like steak, veg and sweet potato. Nothing out of the ordinary.

But the big factors are training, some degree of natural ability, and a good mental approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

:)

A sample of one is useful for one thing if nothing else... it shows that you don't need to eat, and anyone who says that you need to be consuming xx calories per hour in a race is just plain wrong.

ah go on, for the craic put your info into this one

http://endurancecalculator.com/

I think that calculator may be based on a sample bigger than one so may not be applicable to you!

Oryx wrote: »
    I dont eat or drink for long training runs, (though relative to yours, theyre not long) and its fine. But do you think this is something the body needs to be trained to do over time?

I think it's something that your body will adapt to over time. In the same way as training in general you have to put your body under stress, with the result that it will adapt to deal with that stress, and just like general training it is not an instant process, and is best approached with a good plan underpinned by good science.

The general thinking these days is that it takes about 6 months to get yourself properly fat-adapted (which is what will allow you to run for a long time with little or no food required).

There's far less science about pushing out the boundaries of how often you need to drink, but I haven't seen any reason why this wouldn't be another thing where the body could develop some useful adaption. My own personal experience leads me to believe that this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ah go on, for the craic put your info into this one

http://endurancecalculator.com/

I think that calculator may be based on a sample bigger than one so may not be applicable to you!

That Calculator just told me I had an 'Agressive' Best Marathon performance of 1:42
    Very aggresive target alright :pac:

Edit: when I put my age in it revised my target to 1:57 :(

• Advertisement

For the craic...
    Basic Information
    Estimated Maximal Oxygen Uptake (VO2max) (in mL oxygen per kg body mass per minute): 67
    Total Energy Required to Run a Marathon (in kcal or food calories): 2784

Conservative Best Marathon Performance (Normal Glycogen Levels)
    Time: 2:52:04
    Mile Pace: 6:33
    Kilometer Pace: 4:04
    Carbohydrate Loading Required (kcal): 1460

Aggressive Best Marathon Performance (Maximal Glycogen Levels)
    Time: 1:58:02
    Mile Pace: 4:30
    Kilometer Pace: 2:47
    Carbohydrate Loading Required (kcal): 2644

Target Marathon Performance
    Time: 2:00:00
    Mile Pace: 4:34
    Kilometer Pace: 2:50
    Carbohydrate Loading Required Prerace (kcal): 2575
    Minimal Fueling Required During Race (kcal): 0

Warnings
    None.
    At your high level of aerobic fitness, your best marathon time may be limited by factors other than glycogen storage capacity.

Interpreting Your Calculator Output

Carbohydrate loading should be conducted in the days preceding a race (approximately 12-36 hours beforehand) and should be completed by approximately 12 hours before a race, in order to enable time for glycogen uptake into the muscles. The number of calories of carbohydrate indicated by the calculator for a particular target pace represents the total minimum excess, over and above normal caloric requirements, that should be consumed as carbohydrate (neither fat nor protein can be substituted for carbohydrate in carbohydrate loading) during the loading period. During that loading period, the entire diet should consist primarily of carbohydrates. The form of the carbohydrate is not critically important, though moderate- or high-glycemic-index foods consumed immediately after exercise of the target muscles (the leg muscles in runners) will be most effective in loading those muscles. The Conservative and Aggressive figures refer to the calories of carbohydrate required to sustain the corresponding speeds.

The calculator generates `Conservative' and `Aggressive' estimates. The Conservative time reflects the best time a runner at a given level of aerobic fitness could hope to run without hitting the wall, assuming he or she runs with everyday carbohydrate stores; that is, not having carbohydrate loaded and without fueling during the race. By contrast, the Aggressive time reflects the fastest pace that same runner could theoretically sustain without hitting the wall, assuming the runner is maximally carbohydrate loaded and that his or her performance is limited by the ability to store carbohydrates. The calculator can predict quite fast Aggressive times, especially for runners with high maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max greater than approximately 65 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body mass per minute). Carbohydrate storage is not the main performance-limiting factor in those runners, who are the most aerobically fit, and so those runners should not set their target paces based on the Aggressive predictions; the calculator will generate a corresponding warning message for such runners.

Carbohydrate loading will not guarantee an increase in speed, but it can ensure that a runner will not hit the wall at his or her chosen speed.

So I'm eating a big bowl of pasta tonight, and I'll head off to break the marathon world record tomorrow!

I suspect that site may not be a great source of knowledge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

For the craic...

So I'm eating a big bowl of pasta tonight, and I'll head off to break the marathon world record tomorrow!

Or your a SERIOUS sandbagger, but meno is worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I wouldn't dispute the benifits of phsycological boosts... far from it! I bet Jelly beans would give you the same benifit with a much better taste and a much smaller cost though :)

Hate jelly beans ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

kit3 wrote: »
    Hate jelly beans ;)
    smarties,or if ur old enuf--- werthers origanals

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

For the craic...

We'll agree on that one!

While I believe in fat adaptation I'm not sold on your interpretation of it! I can definitely see it having more of an impact on the further the distance you run. But say for a 24 hour or even multi day event what would your average speeds be? In relative terms I'm guessing a good bit slower than marathon pace. Unless you have a unique human biochemistry, I doubt you could adapt cells sufficiently to replace glycogen in a marathon race and 50k isn't much further than a marathon! That's what my sample of 1 tells me. But each to their own
    These days my preference would be for meal something like steak, veg and sweet potato. Nothing out of the ordinary.

This is the logic I'm trying to get my head around. You mention 24 hour races above and not eating etc during these. Are there any other days out of the year where you forego food?

• Advertisement

ultraman1 wrote: »
    smarties,or if ur old enuf--- werthers origanals

What age do you have to be to eat werthers originals ?

kit3 wrote: »
    What age do you have to be to eat werthers originals ?
    Depends on who owns d teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

Just back from physio thinks I have turfs toe(what the **** is that)
    out for 2 to 3 weeks he said.
    Going to strap the life out of it Friday and be at the start line Saturday morning.

Going to strap the life out of it Friday and be at the start line Saturday morning.

Sprain of the big toe joint says google. Dont wreck your year cos of one race....

Oryx wrote: »
    Sprain of the big toe joint says google. Dont wreck your year cos of one race....
    When it happened running that's what it felt like(a sprain):mad:
    some dose a fecking toe.
    wonder if I can just chop it off:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ah FFS I told you not to get injured, just the other day! Why don't you ever listen to me!

That's bad luck Ray - hope it heals quickly

Ah FFS I told you not to get injured, just the other day! Why don't you ever listen to me!
    A car got pretty close to me sunday and I jump up onto a rocky bank and that's when I felt it happen.
    I should of took the reg as there be a door getting kicked down if I did:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

A car got pretty close to me sunday and I jump up onto a rocky bank and that's when I felt it happen.
    I should of took the reg as there be a door getting kicked down if I did:D

Oh blimey, in that case you're probably lucky you only hurt your toe!
    Car trouble - seems to be the thing at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck to everyone running this this weekend!
    Disappointed not to be in the mix for it but such is my training.
    Am hoping to make it down for an hour or two on Saturday to cheer folk on!

And fair play to Anto, I hear he has even arranged for free beer for all the finishers and supporters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

belcarra wrote: »
    And fair play to Anto, I hear he has even arranged for free beer for all the finishers and supporters!

and a lift home I heard

He has in his bollocccs....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Talking about donadea running club and the big event they're hosting on kfm now.

Looks like it's going to be a perfect day for it, I'm getting a bit envious now...

06:00–12:0003d.png 5°0 mmvindpil.0025.335.pngLight breeze, 3 m/s from north-northwest 12:00–18:0002d.png 7°0 mmvindstille.pngCalm, 0 m/s

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

hi guys how would donadea course best be described as in hilly or mainly flat and is the pathway mainly tarmac or fire road . This is my first time going beyond marathon distance and i am really looking forward to it.....

Flat, fire road

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

PaulieC wrote: »
    Looks like it's going to be a perfect day for it, I'm getting a bit envious now...
    Bandit? ;)

Bandit? ;)

I'm not sure what you're getting at KC, but I'm sure no bandit. I was down to run, but missed too much between DCM and New year to do myself justice. That's what I keep telling myself anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good luck everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. And happy Valentine's. I have a cold, so won't be out in support.

Advertisement