Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DONADEA 50KM 10th feb 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Entered last week, think it's my 4th or 5th time doing it. Always a good day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Anyone know if the Facebook page is active. It's a closed group, i sent a request for access 5 or 6 days ago still no joy.

Regarding race entry, when you post the form and send the fee, how do you know if you are entered? Is there any form of written confirmation sent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Ed McGroarty

wowzer wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Facebook page is active. It's a closed group, i sent a request for access 5 or 6 days ago still no joy.

Regarding race entry, when you post the form and send the fee, how do you know if you are entered? Is there any form of written confirmation sent?

You'll get a smoke signal I think 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

With it being voted the best race in the world by the august members of boards A/R forum, I'd imagine it's just taking extra long to weed out the knobbers this year. It's not the best race for nothing ya know.

PaulieC wrote: »
    With it being voted the best race in the world by the august members of boards A/R forum, I'd imagine it's just taking extra long to weed out the knobbers this year. It's not the best race for nothing ya know.

Thanks for the wonderfully insightful reply Paulie. Not quite sure I get what you mean by the August members of Boards though. Is there a monthly poll to vote for the best race?

I didn't realise there was a vetting process for entry into a national championship race. Genuinely, I hope I'm not regarded as one of these knobbers you mention and am honored with a golden ticket to enable me to toe the line next February in the world's greatest race, even knobbers deserve a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Will you be running yourself?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Your cheque will be cashed :D

You should also receive an email to confirm you are entered.
    I didn't realise there was a vetting process for entry into a national championship race.

Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic but due to restrictions on numbers and popularity of race there has to be entry guidelines. Supply and demand and all that.

You don't need to be a member of the FB group to enter anyway, so not sure why it matters?

Your cheque will be cashed :D

You should also receive an email to confirm you are entered.

Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic but due to restrictions on numbers and popularity of race there has to be entry guidelines. Supply and demand and all that.

You don't need to be a member of the FB group to enter anyway, so not sure why it matters?

Thanks RQ, I will wait for the email confirmation so. Don't have a cheque book ( who does these days) so I used a postal order. No way of knowing if it has been lodged or cashed.

I would like access to the FB group to keep up to date with things and ask a few questions etc, pretty standard stuff. When you look at the website for the race next year it specifically states see the Donadea 50k Facebook page for more details, why direct someone to Facebook if access is restricted? Not sure why a race would feel the need to restrict access to a FB page in the first place to be honest.

Any chance of getting someone to outline the entry guidelines? From what I can see all you need to do is fill out the form, pay your money and have an expected finish time of less than 5 hours. Am I missing something?

Can't find them on the Facebook page now, but if I remember correctly it was basically just people needing to show they could run sub 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Thanks for the wonderfully insightful reply Paulie. Not quite sure I get what you mean by the August members of Boards though. Is there a monthly poll to vote for the best race?

Orthography.

The difference between helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse...

• Advertisement

Orthography.

The difference between helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse...

Aha I see, please forgive my ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

Thinking of signing up. I'm doing Dublin in October, anyone any good training plans I could use to get set for Donadea after This?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

event wrote: »
    Thinking of signing up. I'm doing Dublin in October, anyone any good training plans I could use to get set for Donadea after This?

50k training is the same as marathon training.
    You can add a couple of miles to the long runs if you want.

Use the fitness gains from Dublin to start the Donadea training cycle at a higher level right from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What date is it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

It is in the title of the tread, Donadea 50k 10/02/2018.

purelike wrote: »
    It is in the title of the tread, Donadea 50k 10/02/2018.

In fairness to Zebra it would be easier to get hold of the third secret of Fatima than to get info on this race. Considering it's the National 50k race the information should be freely available. Shame.

I'm not sure what other information people are looking for other than the date, location and how to enter? The race isn't on until February, what sort of information about the 'National Championships' would people actually expect 6 months before race day? :confused:
    I'm not sure it has even been confirmed as National Champs for 2018 yet anyway, usually that is announced much closer to race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What date is it on?

All the info you need is here

http://www.donadearunningclub.com/Anto50km.html

Thanks for the info RQ and Kit but if I have to explain myself it ain't worth it.
    I suppose you have to run to understand eh.

I was wondering when some kind of edit would occur with this thread.
    Predictable really.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Thanks for the info RQ and Kit but if I have to explain myself it ain't worth it.

You're welcome. Yeah, you're right - you have to run this race to understand it - it's a special one alright.

• Advertisement

Predictable, sure. The thread was merged with the same thread that has been used for this race for the previous 4 years, would imagine that would have been expected? The existing thread provides plenty of info on the race that people who wish to run the race may find useful. Let's leave it at that please, if you have an issue with the edit, feel free to pm the mod team.

kit3 wrote: »
    You're welcome. Yeah, you're right - you have to run this race to understand it - it's a special one alright.

No bother. Might look for an early start.

Linked to a Facebook page with restricted access. Im waiting for my access to be granted for 2 weeks now.

Still need to complete it in less than 5 hours to run this? Not that it will be a problem, just wondering is all...

Linked to a Facebook page with restricted access. Im waiting for my access to be granted for 2 weeks now.

Still need to complete it in less than 5 hours to run this? Not that it will be a problem, just wondering is all...

Yep, I had access but was removed for some strange reason. Looked for access again but no go, strange really.

Yep, I had access but was removed for some strange reason. Looked for access again but no go, strange really.

You can see that access has been granted to several people within the last 2 week. Even as close as Thursday just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Same experience as yourself. Disappointing to hear that there have been people added, presuming that information is correct of course? Had presumed it was just they hadn't added anybody and would do so in due course. Is there some kind of secret knock or something?

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Same experience as yourself. Disappointing to hear that there have been people added, presuming that information is correct of course? Had presumed it was just they hadn't added anybody and would do so in due course. Is there some kind of secret knock or something?

It is correct, if you look at the group on the Facebook app you can see a members list, this displays the name and when they joined. Now I only scrolled a few pages but out of approx 50 names I saw 2 new members with the latest added on Thursday. .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Apologies if it's been done but how can I enter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I know you might find it hard to believe but there's isn't an army of people organising this race. This is someone giving back to the community.

Anyone who have ran the race knows how well organised it is up there as one of the best races around.

Always great craic on the day from runners and supporters. People standing in the cold for hours no matter what the weather is until last person home.

You get a world ranking for your effort.

Some people expect people to drop everything when they come calling as if they're the most important people about. Maybe they should try organise a race and see how they get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

Trampas wrote: »
    I know you might find it hard to believe but there's isn't an army of people organising this race. This is someone giving back to the community.

Anyone who have ran the race knows how well organised it is up there as one of the best races around.

Always great craic on the day from runners and supporters. People standing in the cold for hours no matter what the weather is until last person home.

You get a world ranking for your effort.

Some people expect people to drop everything when they come calling as if they're the most important people about. Maybe they should try organise a race and see how they get on

I agree. I've run Donadea in 2015 & 2016 - 2017 and 2018 don't fit the schedule but I think this is a really well organised, friendly race. The old school entry and "you're in" reply e-mail just add to the charm.

Advertisement