Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City boundary extension

Options
  • 11-07-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Has there been any update on this recently? If memory serves Minister for the Environment Phil Hogan gave the two local authorities an ultimatum to reach an agreement on a boundary extension by the time of the local elections or he would impose a solution. The election has come and gone and so now too has Phil Hogan who is off to Europe. Where does this leave the city boundary extension debate? I think both authorities should be merged to make the argument irrelevant. Can't see it happening though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I think the LAs being merged would be disastrous for the city. County is far too big for it to be merged without the city losing significant funding.

I would suggest writing to the new minister after the reshuffle to get their view on it.Annexing Glanmire, Blarney, Douglas, Grange and Ballincollig should be a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

In 2012 Big Phil published the Putting People First document, an ironic title given it did away with Town Councils.

However it also said that the City and County Councils in Cork had five years to come up with a new boundary or else the Minister would impose one himself.

The last I heard the City and County Councils were in early talks about it. You can expect a tough negotiation. The county won't want to give up the big Rate Payer and Property Tax bases in areas like Little Island, Ballincollig, Carrigaline or Cork Airport.
    They'll obviously have to give up Douglas, Frankfield and probably Glanmire but I can't see an agreement being easily reached. They might just leave it up to the Minister to decide.

It'll be interesting to hear the views of the new Minister Alan Kelly. He knows Cork well having studied in UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Looks like my memory was hazy. 5 years is an eternity in politics though. Who knows who will be in charge in 3 years time. A kick the can down the road exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

http://www.eveningecho.ie/news/cork-news/2015/01/14/city-boundary-expansion-to-be-decided-by-independent-panel/

Looks like the government is giving up on the two councils ever agreeing on an extension themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

The entire urban area of the city needs to be officially part of the city, its as simple as that. Throw in Glanmire, Ballincollig, Carrigaline, Little Island and you have a population of around quarter of a million. Any businesses, tourists, event planners will be much more likely to bring their time to a city of 250,000 instead of 119,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Interesting intervention by the minister. Evidently he has seen from his time in the role that the two local authorities have no interest in making any progress towards a boundary extension.
    I hope this process leads to a solution. However even at the end of the process when a recommendation is made there is no guarantee it will be implemented. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The most likely outcome of this will be a merger of the two councils similar to Limerick and Waterford.
    A boundary extension would remove the vast majority of the counties rate base and be a financial disaster.
    The political and business clamour of late has been for a merger and I reckon this is exactly what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I live in one of these areas that are really in the city for all intensive purposes, but are County Council areas.

Its annoying really cause for example, the housing estate 50 meters away from us gets its grass cut by the city council at least once a month, whereas in the county council areas the residents must group together to pay for all grass cutting. I see the city council sending around teams to clean up litter etc on the roads and grassy areas, but none of that in county council areas.

To be honest i think its long overdue in many areas to become part of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I think the LAs being merged would be disastrous for the city. County is far too big for it to be merged without the city losing significant funding.

I would suggest writing to the new minister after the reshuffle to get their view on it.Annexing Glanmire, Blarney, Douglas, Grange and Ballincollig should be a priority.

And this is the problem.
    You think it would be disastrous for the City and county to merge as the money would need to be spread out more so the city loses money. Not sure that is tru by the way....same money in total...same area in total.

But you have no issue with taking away the Countys most populous areas and denying them that income while transferring it to the city coffers. That doesn't seem fair either.

Just for full disclosure...I live in Rochestown which is in the county now but would be moving to the city I imagine. I'm not sure what is the right thing to do. They have "experts" for these things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

"It was agreed in 2012 that the boundary of Cork would be extended into the county to create a larger metropolitan city, and then Minister Phil Hogan gave the city and county councils five years to come up with an acceptable plan."

What was he giving them five years for? No wonder nothing ever gets done in this country! Give them five months, and that's generous. Get an independent panel working on it at the same time. If the councils haven't sorted it out in five months then the independent panel decides. Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

shnaek wrote: »
    What was he giving them five years for? No wonder nothing ever gets done in this country! Give them five months, and that's generous. Get an independent panel working on it at the same time. If the councils haven't sorted it out in five months then the independent panel decides. Job done.

I agree with you but as a guess to your Q I'd say because his plan was to be in Europe before the decision had to be made. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Hope this isn't going to be a half measure and only include some city suburbs. Would love something imaginative like a Cork City and Harbour Council stretching around the Harbour (including Carrigaline, Ballincollig, Glanmire, Blarney/Tower, Passage West, Little Island, Glounthaune, Carrigtohill, Midleton, Cobh and Crosshaven) and including all the direct city suburbs (like Douglas, Rochestown, Grange, Donoughmore, parts of Baalyvolane, Riverstown)currently officially in the county. Something like that would mean the population of Cork City and suburbs reaching 300,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭cgcsb

What's even more shocking is that the current City's population is 119,000 and the city and suburban is approx 250,000. How have we got to a situation, from a planning point of view, that outlying suburbs are home to more people than the City it's self. Such a set up is clearly unsustainable, you're setting people up for long commutes. It's almost like a North American City in that respect. Galway has a similar problem, only 75,000 in the City.

The Central area should be, by a long shot, the most densely populated.

cgcsb wrote: »
    What's even more shocking is that the current City's population is 119,000 and the city and suburban is approx 2,500,000. How have we got to a situation, from a planning point of view, that outlying suburbs are home to more people than the City it's self. Such a set up is clearly unsustainable, you're setting people up for long commutes. It's almost like a North American City in that respect. Galway has a similar problem, only 75,000 in the City.

In fairness I'd say the problem in Galway is nowhere near the same scale. They got a boundary extension in the 80's which currently covers all the suburbs with the exception of Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

cgcsb wrote: »
    What's even more shocking is that the current City's population is 119,000 and the city and suburban is approx 2,500,000. How have we got to a situation, from a planning point of view, that outlying suburbs are home to more people than the City it's self. Such a set up is clearly unsustainable, you're setting people up for long commutes. It's almost like a North American City in that respect. Galway has a similar problem, only 75,000 in the City.

I might be wrong but I think Cork is a fair bit off having 2 and a half million in the city and suburbs. :D:D

rebs23 wrote: »
    In fairness I'd say the problem in Galway is nowhere near the same scale. They got a boundary extension in the 80's which currently covers all the suburbs with the exception of Oranmore.

Was Galways boundary not extended in the last decade? I seem to remember reading about how the city boundary includes all the urban area and a load of rural area aswell so its an incorrect reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Galway is nowhere near the same. What we're talking about here is an increase of 250% of the city's official population with a boundary extension. I'm not really sure how we've gotten to this stage. It should have been done a long time ago.

Galway is nowhere near the same. What we're talking about here is an increase of 250% of the city's official population with a boundary extension. I'm not really sure how we've gotten to this stage. It should have been done a long time ago.

Galway has no problem, it currently has a land area nearly the size of Cork and Limerick Cities combined.
    Limerick and Waterford were the other cities with the problem which the government tried to solve by meeging the local authorities and creating Metropolitan districts around the cities. The same thing will happen in Cork.
    I was interested to read that until the formation of the new Limerick Metropolitan district it had a population density of 26/ha, Cork currently has 30/ha.
    Galway has a density of just 14/ha.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ballincollig should definitely be in the city boundary, paying 7.10 for a bus is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Hope this isn't going to be a half measure and only include some city suburbs. Would love something imaginative like a Cork City and Harbour Council stretching around the Harbour (including Carrigaline, Ballincollig, Glanmire, Blarney/Tower, Passage West, Little Island, Glounthaune, Carrigtohill, Midleton, Cobh and Crosshaven) and including all the direct city suburbs (like Douglas, Rochestown, Grange, Donoughmore, parts of Baalyvolane, Riverstown)currently officially in the county. Something like that would mean the population of Cork City and suburbs reaching 300,000.
    Carrigaline, Blarney, Tower, Cobh, etc are all well outside the city environs, Midleton is surely 15 miles to the east. That suggestion is taking the pi$$, with all due respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Galway has no problem, it currently has a land area nearly the size of Cork and Limerick Cities combined.
    Limerick and Waterford were the other cities with the problem which the government tried to solve by meeging the local authorities and creating Metropolitan districts around the cities. The same thing will happen in Cork.
    I was interested to read that until the formation of the new Limerick Metropolitan district it had a population density of 26/ha, Cork currently has 30/ha.
    Galway has a density of just 14/ha.

Actually Waterford didn't have that problem, Its city boundary was also extended in the 80's, And for folk thinking Cork's city and county councils should/will be merged, It wouldn't make any sense as combined it would be 520,000 people which is too large to be efficient. Rural Cork would be creaming off the city.

Anyhow in a rare moment of sense Phil Hogan said Cork was too big to have 1 authority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

grenache wrote: »
    Carrigaline, Blarney, Tower, Cobh, etc are all well outside the city environs, Midleton is surely 15 miles to the east. That suggestion is taking the pi$$, with all due respect.

In an extraordinary stupid move even by Irish standards, Carrigaline got divided alone its river by the new municipal districts !! It originally never had its own UDC/or Town Council even though it has roughly 14'000 people according to census2011, Local democracy and administration paddy style is just wonderful..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

the problem with this though is while the city and county council's fight it out for the area's like douglas, glanmire, ballincollig...etc over the additional revenue they bring,

the people in these area's are reluctant to move to the city boundaries, (or at least they were a few years back)

people seem to think bus fare's are linked to being in the city/county but this isn't the case (donnybrook and grange are in the county but have lower fares than ballincollig for example) so the fare won't go down if ballincollig joins the city council,

what will change while these days isn't as much of a difference as a few years back when it effected grants...etc things will change e.g: social housing, Rates, local election candidates/structures, planning, Estates will become disc parking only, so unless you have a driveway you will have to go through city council for a permit. considering the amount of people i know in donnybrook alone who park "on street" , i can see this being profitable for the city but at the anger and expense of residents.

it's also easier to visit county hall and park there (for free) to get stuff done rather than having to go to city hall not to mention the fact they barely can cope with the current city population so when they have twice the people coming in it will be chaos.

there is a reason people choose to live on the outskirts of the city and travel in there rather than living there. and these area's will see a lot of people again move out to the newer developed county boundaries imo creating more "suburbs" in what is now the green belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ballincollig should definitely be in the city boundary, paying 7.10 for a bus is a joke.

What relationship do you think there is between Bus Eireann fares and local authority boundaries?

The County are unwilling to give up areas like Little Island etc because of the revenue they will lose.
    It was the same situation in Limerick where the county couldn't afford to give up Dooradoyle, Raheen and Castletroy.
    When no agreement could be found a merger was the option the government went with.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Estates will become disc parking only
    There are plenty of areas within the City boundary that are not disc parking controlled, e.g. Ballinlough, Mahon, Blackrock, most of Togher, Mayfield etc. etc...

Disc/permit parking is usually only introduced to help prioritise residents in suburban areas where there are problems due to commuters parking in residential areas, e.g. around UCC and CUH. Of course it is a nice revenue earner on the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

There are plenty of areas within the City boundary that are not disc parking controlled, e.g. Ballinlough, Mahon, Blackrock, most of Togher, Mayfield etc. etc...

Disc/permit parking is usually only introduced to help prioritise residents in suburban areas where there are problems due to commuters parking in residential areas, e.g. around UCC and CUH. Of course it is a nice revenue earner on the side.

and there are problems with people parking in douglas and commuting to town, so much so they introduced an on street parking payment scheme, so if the city council take it over i cannot see them changing it back to free parking, only them making it all disc parking. which they'll extend to where there are also problems with on street parking in estates around douglas due to most households having 3+ cars with room for 1/2 or none,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

hoodwinked wrote: »
    and there are problems with people parking in douglas and commuting to town, so much so they introduced an on street parking payment scheme, so if the city council take it over i cannot see them changing it back to free parking, only them making it all disc parking. which they'll extend to where there are also problems with on street parking in estates around douglas due to most households having 3+ cars with room for 1/2 or none,

Most households in Douglas have 3+ cars?? Get outta here!

grenache wrote: »
    Carrigaline, Blarney and Tower are all within a short distance of the city suburbs. Cobh and Midleton are within 10-15 miles depending on how you measure it. (Radial or by road) whatever way you look at it though they are all part of the urban environment of Cork city and suburbs. Cobh and Midleton have good rail commuter services. Get the train to Cobh or Midleton and it's like a string of urban development to both.
    Hence a suggestion of a new council joining the city itself with the outlying suburban area, a Cork City and Harbour Council so there is an integrated and Coordinated area for future development. Stop pushing development out.
    Cork is pretty unique in Irish terms in terms of the number of towns that ring the city. Effectively they have become suburbs of Cork city itself.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    the problem with this though is while the city and county council's fight it out for the area's like douglas, glanmire, ballincollig...etc over the additional revenue they bring,

the people in these area's are reluctant to move to the city boundaries, (or at least they were a few years back)

people seem to think bus fare's are linked to being in the city/county but this isn't the case (donnybrook and grange are in the county but have lower fares than ballincollig for example) so the fare won't go down if ballincollig joins the city council,

what will change while these days isn't as much of a difference as a few years back when it effected grants...etc things will change e.g: social housing, Rates, local election candidates/structures, planning, Estates will become disc parking only, so unless you have a driveway you will have to go through city council for a permit. considering the amount of people i know in donnybrook alone who park "on street" , i can see this being profitable for the city but at the anger and expense of residents.

it's also easier to visit county hall and park there (for free) to get stuff done rather than having to go to city hall not to mention the fact they barely can cope with the current city population so when they have twice the people coming in it will be chaos.

there is a reason people choose to live on the outskirts of the city and travel in there rather than living there. and these area's will see a lot of people again move out to the newer developed county boundaries imo creating more "suburbs" in what is now the green belt.
    In more recent times there is definitely a move back to the city, hence the higher prices for houses near the city centre.
    The situation of houses being developed in outlying areas is not good planning policy and has lead to all sorts of problems. It was not a choice to move out, there was simply no choice. Just a guess but most Cork people seem to recognise the need for a new Cork city boundary or an amalgamation of the the two councils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

A Merger would kill the city. It would effectively be the County (with its conservative, rural, anti-city perspective) taking over the city. They'd have put the event centre in Milstreet and the Pairc in Mallow. The balance of power would be anti-urban. We need a big urban metro authority of about 250,000 and a strong county of about 250,000.

Limerick and Waterford no longer have City authorities [they have symbolic 'metropolitan districts' with little or no powers]. They were duped and they know it. I wouldn't be following their leads at all. Two cities in real crisis. Cork is 15 years ahead of those two places. It's a proper city and shoudl have ambition to remain one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement