Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best colours for pale skin

• 11-07-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think darker colours work better. Emerald green, indigo, dark reds, brown and sometimes black. I don't think pastel shades overly work with irish skin tones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Peach is a disaster with pale skin.
    What colour is your hair and eyes ?

I have pale skin, red hair and pale blue eyes. My favourite colours are strong blues and greens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I wear a lot of blue, navy, green, black , grey and dark red, but can actually get away with mustard kind of yellow and deep oranges too. My no-nos are pretty much any pastel and all pinks! I love pink accessories though, bags, shoes etc. I wouldn't wear white on the bottom much, but like white shirts and tees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

It really depends on a number of factors- whether the skin-tone is cool (pink) or warm (creamy ivory), hair colour and eye colour.

It might be worth looking at one of the Colour Me Beautiful books. They are not infallible but a good place to start. I had one about twenty years ago that included colour swatch charts that were very useful but I'm not sure if the newer versions still do them.

According to CMB I'm a somewhere a 'Soft Summer' and 'Soft Autumn'. I've very pale pink toned skin, grey-green eyes and mousey hair with soft beigey golden blonde highlights. I wear lots of mid-tone purples, aubergine, burgundy, teal, greens and soft warm pinks. Peach looks good on me as long as it is not too pale or deep and orangey. Black tops tend to wash me out unless I wear a coloured necklace with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I'm paler than most foundations allow for (and I'm a pink base as well >.<), dark hair and grey-blue eyes (I believe it's called bright colouring, typically Irish). I avoid pastels, they just wash me out. The one exception to that is very light blue, and even then it wouldn't be a creamy powdery blue; more of a blue-white.

Best sticking for very definite colours. Your specific colouring will determine what they are, but generally anything that's very definitively coloured is a good starting point. Black will depend on your hair and eye colour, as well as your skin tone. I can't wear it next to my face because I end up looking ill, it's too dark on me. If your skin tone is warm, you can probably go for warm tones - burgundy, olive, browns, golds. If (like me) your skin tone is cold, I'd stick to blues, reds (cool, not orange-red), purples - basically bright cool tones. Navy tends to be a handy one for all skin tones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm quite pale too, but my skin tone is very neutral, more on the yellow side. My boyfriend is about as pale as me but when we put our arms next to each other mine look yellow and his look red! My hair is naturally golden blonde and I get highlights. Was even at the hairdressers last week and she took about half an hour trying decide what blonde "tones" to put in for my highlights, she said it's usually very easy to know what will suit a person but couldn't see anything suiting me more over another. So I'm really lucky that way, I can wear pretty much any colour. I always wear white tops, they do suit me. But on some pale people they look awful.

So it really depends on your skin tone really. I can't imagine black looking bad on anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Although the Colour Me Beautiful books etc are quite old now, they're still great for this sort of thing! I'm a True Winter, according to their system, so even though I'm very pale I can wear white/cream and still look ok, in addition to black and most strong colours. I should avoid anything pastel or with orange/yellow tones.

The distinction they make between warm and cool skin ones is crucial in my opinion, as it makes more difference to how much something suits than how pale or dark your skin is.

It took me years to find a pale foundation that suits me, because most high street makeup is warm-toned, especially the paler shades which are every yellow-based. Even now salespeople in department stores keep advising me to try yellow-toned shades of foundation then are amazed when it stands out, whereas a darker looking pink toned one disappears perfectly into my skin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Semele wrote: »
    It took me years to find a pale foundation that suits me, because most high street makeup is warm-toned, especially the paler shades which are every yellow-based. Even now salespeople in department stores keep advising me to try yellow-toned shades of foundation then are amazed when it stands out, whereas a darker looking pink toned one disappears perfectly into my skin!

Yeah I get told that by sales assistants too. Choosing a yellow toned shade might work for some people who have warm based skin and just a bit of redness in their face that they want to even out, but it makes me look jaundiced. Plus having a yellow face and pink neck/body just looks a bit strange-at least on me! And don't even get me started about the ones who insist I should just use fake tan to match everything up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

I disagree completely about the peach. I think a lighter peach colour with the right lipstick can look amazing with pale skin. Nude and pastels also look well as long as u have a little makeup on I think it takes the shock out of the pale skin. On the other hand I love a rich blue, yellow or red with pale skin too. And you can't really go by the rule book too much everyone has different tones to their skin and the slightest shade change can make a huge difference. Best thing to do is hold up something you like in front of a mirror and decide for yourself whether or not it makes you look and feel good.

http://www.myfashionlife.com/archives/2011/02/14/baftas-2011-best-dressed-amy-adams/ an example of the peach and pale skin I have in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Lilac/light pastel green gorgeous on redheads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I'm paler than most foundations allow for (and I'm a pink base as well >.<), dark hair and grey-blue eyes (I believe it's called bright colouring, typically Irish). I avoid pastels, they just wash me out

Are you my twin??

I'm extremely pale also and wear a lot of dark clothes but my hair is dark. Given that your hair colour is light I'd same aim for bold colours and run from pastels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Another one who likes bold colours here - super-pale skin, freckles, blonde hair - I wear red, royal blue, jade green, navy and black a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Another one who likes bold colours here - super-pale skin, freckles, blonde hair - I wear red, royal blue, jade green, navy and black a lot.
    Those colours are fantastic on pale skin. I love cerise, deep green, red, turquoise, deep blue, navy. Emerald green is my favourite colour. I find black can be very harsh on me depending on how I'm wearing it but brown and navy are much kinder to me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think darker colours work better. Emerald green, indigo, dark reds, brown and sometimes black. I don't think pastel shades overly work with irish skin tones.
    Twee. wrote: »
    I wear a lot of blue, navy, green, black , grey and dark red, but can actually get away with mustard kind of yellow and deep oranges too. My no-nos are pretty much any pastel and all pinks! I love pink accessories though, bags, shoes etc. I wouldn't wear white on the bottom much, but like white shirts and tees.

Same here, apart from I avoid black, it makes me look like I'm on my deathbed. I do also wear very deep pinks not on their own but in patterns.

I will wear white undervests if I am wearing a low cut top, but prefer beige

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MyNanoh

If you are a light blond girl and your skin is pale, it's forbidden to wear light green. You'd look sick and you feature would be so fade.

Advertisement