Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malt group buy (25KG bags - €18.45 incl. VAT)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

That sounds right. I store mine in 30l buckets and 25kg is just less than a 1 and a half buckets.

If the kids are small and in booster seats (ie legs not dangling on the floor) I reckon you'll get 4 bags on the floor under their legs.

It might be a bit dusty though, maybe bring some bin bags to put them into? (The grain bags, not the kids :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Khannie wrote: »
    Tell me more....I'd imagine they're not good for your mill.

Stones are really the only thing that the mill objects to, but I've had small sticks and mud balls aswell. They latter are usually big enough to spot easily and don't end up in the mill, but the stones do.

I'm about to crush another 25Kg bag shortly and will let know if anything is in it that shouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah I can go to the full 25kg's

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

OK, lads. I have the malt. PM me and I'll arrange pick ups / drop offs.

I dealt with Chris from The Malting Company of Ireland and I have to say he was a total gent. He was saying that they're going to be selling direct to home brewers (with delivery) via their new web site which sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

OK, lads. I have the malt. PM me and I'll arrange pick ups / drop offs.

I dealt with Chris from The Malting Company of Ireland and I have to say he was a total gent. He was saying that they're going to be selling direct to home brewers (with delivery) via their new web site which sounds good.

That sounds fantastic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 jonziepoo

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and to home brewing, I do use whole grain malts and usually brew my own ale. I was looking for options to buy grains at decent prices and stumbled into yet another boards.ie post. This time I thought I'd sign up. Too bad you got it already but count me in next time! 19 euro for a 25KG bag is surely a good price. Looking forward to helpful advice and discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Welcome to the forum! MCI will be offering shipping soon apparently.

Welcome to the forum! MCI will be offering shipping soon apparently.
    Thanks Ronan, it looks like they do already but at 25+vat+10 shipping, it comes up to 43 :(

Welcome to boards, Jonziepoo.
    jonziepoo wrote: »
    Thanks Ronan, it looks like they do already but at 25+vat+10 shipping, it comes up to 43 :(

Ouch!

Welcome to boards, Jonziepoo.

Ouch!

And its 10 euro shipping per bag, no flat shipping rate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Thehomebrewcompany and homebrewwest both do 25kg bags of base malts for in and around €1/kg with free delivery over €65. That sounds like your best bet.

groom wrote: »
    Thehomebrewcompany and homebrewwest both do 25kg bags of base malts for in and around €1/kg with free delivery over €65. That sounds like your best bet.

I used them a lot, but It would be good to be able to use a home grown and malted grain

oblivious wrote: »
    And its 10 euro shipping per bag, no flat shipping rate!

WHAAAT??? So two bags = 20 euro shipping? That's awful. :/

WHAAAT??? So two bags = 20 euro shipping? That's awful. :/

yea that what's the on-line calculator did, hopefully they will change this. Most home brewing company have a flat rate shipping , which in-courages bigger buys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I dont get it, Khannie paid 15+VAT, not 25+VAT. Has the price changed?

drumswan wrote: »
    I dont get it, Khannie paid 15+VAT, not 25+VAT. Has the price changed?

I think 15 was in introductory offer,

http://www.maltingcompany.ie/product/irish-ale-malt/

I think 15 was in introductory offer,

http://www.maltingcompany.ie/product/irish-ale-malt/

It was yeah and I was told as much, but I was also told that there would be discounts for larger purchases (and that this was one of the reasons for the delay in launching the new site).

Honestly, I'd still consider it not launched given the 20 euro for 2 bags shipping fee.

Honestly, I'd still consider it not launched given the 20 euro for 2 bags shipping fee.

I hope that will change

I hope that will change

Sure I hope so too, I did use homebrewwest too, but I'm not too happy with their customer service and I was hoping to find another source. thehomebrewcompany seems to be a good alternative, they have a shipping flat rate of less than 5 euro in Ireland but less of a choice in terms of malts...
    I also came across thebeerclub but they are not ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Whisko

Sure I hope so too, I did use homebrewwest too, but I'm not too happy with their customer service and I was hoping to find another source. thehomebrewcompany seems to be a good alternative, they have a shipping flat rate of less than 5 euro in Ireland but less of a choice in terms of malts...

Made an order at HBC last week.

€25 for a sack of grain (Muntons Extra Light Spring Malt) and free delivery over €65. Plus Shane couldn't be more helpful on the customer service end.

Bargain.

Never went wanting from the amount they stock either. Plenty of hops and grain options on there.

• Advertisement

Whisko wrote: »
    Made an order last week.

€25 for a sack of grain (Muntons Extra Light Spring Malt) and free delivery over €65. Plus Shane couldn't be more helpful on the customer service end.

Bargain.

I find the opposite, much better choice of malts and hops at HBC compared to HBW.

Hi Whisko,
    did you order it online or by phone? No VAT? I don't think I'll ever buy 65 euro of malt :)
    Good to know about HBC, I probably have to get familiar with the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Whisko

Hi Whisko,
    did you order it online or by phone? No VAT? I don't think I'll ever buy 65 euro of malt :)
    Good to know about HBC, I probably have to get familiar with the site.

I haven't ordered off the Malt group listed here. I'm not sure what the shipping is, anyone know?

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie

I ordered up north but all prices include VAT. I only ordered one sack of grain at €25 on special- still on there at the moment. The rest of my order was made up of hops, malts and yeast + a kit bringing it over the €65.

Whisko wrote: »
    I haven't ordered off the Malt group listed here. I'm not sure what the shipping is, anyone know?
    thehomebrewcompany.ie

Ok I see! I had completely misread your comment. Thanks, yes I had seen the offer, very tempting but I still have to go through 20 Kg and many many liters of beer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Hi Jonzie. I'm glad its not just me they're picking on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

If folks here are interested there's a list going for a group buy over on http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/ under the all grain section.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

25kg bags of pilsner malt from HBwest at €24 http://www.homebrewwest.ie/whole-grains--malts-345-c.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

blueshed wrote: »
    25kg bags of pilsner malt from HBwest at €24 http://www.homebrewwest.ie/whole-grains--malts-345-c.asp

Excellent price and excellent malt -- I picked up a few bags recently. Push the order value to €60 and shipping is free too.

Advertisement