Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NQ Salary at a Top 5 Firm?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

~50k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

Is that all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Im sure you can negotiate a higher figure.

Is there scope to negotiate? Does the same salary not apply to all NQ?

Yeah it's around 50. You wouldn't be able to negotiate if you're just finishing a training contract. It will be an across-the-board figure.

• Advertisement

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Yeah it's around 50. You wouldn't be able to negotiate if you're just finishing a training contract. It will be an across-the-board figure.

Is there much variation between the top 5 firms?

My best guess would be that they would all be within 5-7k of each other and that is probably extreme. ie 47-53k-ish

I personally think that is a good salary for someone who still hasn't a clue!

NoQuarter wrote: »
    My best guess would be that they would all be within 5-7k of each other and that is probably extreme. ie 47-53k-ish

I personally think that is a good salary for someone who still hasn't a clue!

Thanks a million. I take it you work for one of the firms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I would absolutely love to be just finished training and offered 50k a year with a top 5 firm.

Then again, I'm a graduate of the recession era, and still seriously struggling to earn any decent wage, so.........

chops018 wrote: »
    I would absolutely love to be just finished training and offered 50k a year with a top 5 firm.

Then again, I'm a graduate of the recession era, and still seriously struggling to earn any decent wage, so.........

Where did you graduate from? What degree classification did you earn?

• Advertisement

Where did you graduate from? What degree classification did you earn?

I don't want to put that info up here but I've Masters level education, all the FE1's passed and a year (ongoing) legal experience, finding it extremely difficult to get that elusive training contract, and it doesn't look like I'll be going to Blackhall this Septmeber, but, we go again as they say.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

OP I caution you against thinking the following: (I'm sure you're not)

I'll go to trinners / UCDeee, get a first then spend my days at Maples and nights in Krystal drininking champers and smoking cigars.

You will earn more in Lidl than a top 5 and probably work less hours.

DO NOT get involved in law unless you are willing to do it for peanuts, between the hours required in a top firm and the crap pay everywhere else you'll be lucky to be much above the minimum wage.

I don't want to put that info up here but I've Masters level education, all the FE1's passed and a year (ongoing) legal experience, finding it extremely difficult to get that elusive training contract, and it doesn't look like I'll be going to Blackhall this Septmeber, but, we go again as they say.......

I'm not going to the bar until next year, perhaps we will eventually meet after all...

muhahahahaha!

Well the Inns and Blackhall are different..

Or how do you mean? (Am I missing something :p)

Well the Inns and Blackhall are different..

Or how do you mean? (Am I missing something :p)

I know but we'll be moving in the same circles I would imagine.

Bepolite wrote: »
    OP I caution you against thinking the following: (I'm sure you're not)

I'll go to trinners / UCDeee, get a first then spend my days at Maples and nights in Krystal drininking champers and smoking cigars.

You will earn more in Lidl than a top 5 and probably work less hours.

DO NOT get involved in law unless you are willing to do it for peanuts, between the hours required in a top firm and the crap pay everywhere else you'll be lucky to be much above the minimum wage.

Do you actually earn more in Lidl? Is the money not very good once you get 3 years PQE and above?

Do you actually earn more in Lidl? Is the money not very good once you get 3 years PQE and above?

LILD graduate programme - 60K + Car once you're an Area Manager.

90% of NQ Solicitors 20K + Black Hall Fees

90% NQ Barristers 0K and Lunch if you've a nice master.

If you're in something for the money do a business degree/business and law.

If you can get a traineeship/job at a big 5 firm, the money can be quite good but it is typically very difficult to get a job and the work (especially the hours) is typically very difficult. Have a look at the br,ightwater survey if you want to know the precise amounts.

Have you got a job/traineeship in a big 5. If not, be very careful about assuming you will get one.

To balance my doom & gloom some what. The people at the top 5 I know (not that many and one of them has two masters degrees and has qualifiied in 2 other jurisdictions OP so you know your competition) LOVE it. A fair few NQ's I've copme across say the same thing, doing what I love, work is interesting - the hours fly by.

I suppose what was meant to be a rainbows and unicorns statement really only backs up what I said above.

Just to resume the doom & gloom, solicitors (barristers don't seem to have chance to get jaded before they starve to death) who hate the job, HATE the job.

drkpower wrote: »
    If you can get a traineeship/job at a big 5 firm, the money can be quite good but it is typically very difficult to get a job and the work (especially the hours) is typically very difficult. Have a look at the br,ightwater survey if you want to know the precise amounts.

Have you got a job/traineeship in a big 5. If not, be very careful about assuming you will get one.

My son has, that's why I am so interested. However, he's been provided with very little information as to what the salary is like as he progresses; he only knows his starting salary.

• Advertisement

My son has, that's why I am so interested. However, he's been provided with very little information as to what the salary is like as he progresses; he only knows his starting salary.

It'll be completely down to him. He could be a partner in five years time earning more money than God or he could be fired. Kudos to him, he has beaten out 98% of his peers for the job. These firms are pretty good at hiring people that perform. The rest will be down to how hard he works, what oppitunities present themselves and a wee bit of luck.

Google brightwater salary survey legal. It gives figures for big 5 I think. That is a pretty accurate ballpark. Individual negotiation of salary is pretty rare for at least the first few years. You tend to increase as a band with your peers.

drkpower wrote: »
    Google brightwater salary survey legal. It gives figures for big 5 I think. That is a pretty accurate ballpark. Individual negotiation of salary is pretty rare for at least the first few years. You tend to increase as a band with your peers.

Cheers! I had heard mixed reports about the online surveys. I know for my profession, they are fairly inaccurate. The English firms seem to be far more open as regards salaries.

Advertisement