Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intensive Beginner German Courses

Options
  • 11-07-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello,

There was a post about this a few years ago, although most of the links are dead now.

I'm wondering if any of you know of a good intensive beginner german course for the coming months, August or September. UCC do evening and weekend courses but their summer courses are aimed at the B levels where as I would need A1.

Any other tips for getting started would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

What's your aim? Michel Thomas is good to break the back on a language- aimed to get you speaking conversationally quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Leavenotrace

I'm moving to Germany in close on one year for work and while I know most people in the place I'm working will have near perfect English, I'd rather speak their language in their country.
    Thus I have one year to learn as much German as possible with the aim of being at around a B1-B2 standard (I don't know but I think that might be a big ask in one year living in an english speaking country). The intensive course I thought was a good way to get started because after that I know there are language exchange programs with people visiting Cork.

Then Michel Thomas would be a good idea - once you've finished that, go to a language exchange meet up to reinforce it and put it into practice- there are some in cork.
    Getting your spoken language up is a lot more important than written or reading. Though grammar and reading do get you to the next level- for that the classes will help. There are some decent apps for phones too for building vocabulary and vocabulary- e.g. memrise or duolingo

And should I reinforce this with an intensive course or do you think thats a bit much?

And should I reinforce this with an intensive course or do you think thats a bit much?
    It depends on your level of self motivation and your familiarity with languages and grammar. Classes will tend to focus on all skills- reading and writing etc- whereas speaking is usually more important. You can learn simple sentences without too much grammar- but once you get to that stage, getting a decent handle on grammar and vocabulary is great. I'd personally start with Michel Thomas, memrise for vocab and grammar and see how you go with that first- then look at a course. You might not need it ( also it can be hard to get the right level, content and speed).

If you do want a grammar book- hammer's grammar is definitive and engrossing.

That could be just my own personal style though- I've a couple of languages and am interested in linguistics.

• Advertisement

fash wrote: »
    It depends on your level of self motivation and your familiarity with languages and grammar. Classes will tend to focus on all skills- reading and writing etc- whereas speaking is usually more important. You can learn simple sentences without too much grammar- but once you get to that stage, getting a decent handle on grammar and vocabulary is great. I'd personally start with Michel Thomas, memrise for vocab and grammar and see how you go with that first- then look at a course. You might not need it ( also it can be hard to get the right level, content and speed).

If you do want a grammar book- hammer's grammar is definitive and engrossing.

That could be just my own personal style though- I've a couple of languages and am interested in linguistics.

Well considering I'm not really a languages person I'll take your word for it! Cheers for the advice. Now just gotta get started I suppose!

Danke!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KatyBob

Hey, just to bump this for French as well, I had a B standard years ago, is Michael Thomas or memrise/duolingo better as a refresher course before a course/exchange program? Thanks!

KatyBob wrote: »
    Hey, just to bump this for French as well, I had a B standard years ago, is Michael Thomas or memrise/duolingo better as a refresher course before a course/exchange program? Thanks!
    Again it depends on your purpose. Michel Thomas for conversational skills and memrise/ duolingo for vocab/and certain parts of grammar. But yes, I'd recommend both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Shame about the UCC courses, the teachers are fantastic.

I'm a student currently on exchange in Germany, after 2 years in UCC. Started from scratch in UCC, hadn't a word of German before I went. I frequently get mistaken for a German now though! "Ok you're from Ireland but German is like a native language for you, right?" was what I was asked yesterday :D

The most important thing, as mentioned, is to get speaking. Language exchanges would be absolutely ideal for you, if you can find a German-speaker. Get cracking now and as long as you make the effort in Germany you should be fine.

Good luck with it!

Shame about the UCC courses, the teachers are fantastic.

I'm a student currently on exchange in Germany, after 2 years in UCC. Started from scratch in UCC, hadn't a word of German before I went. I frequently get mistaken for a German now though! "Ok you're from Ireland but German is like a native language for you, right?" was what I was asked yesterday :D

The most important thing, as mentioned, is to get speaking. Language exchanges would be absolutely ideal for you, if you can find a German-speaker. Get cracking now and as long as you make the effort in Germany you should be fine.

Good luck with it!

Cheers for the advice, I've started on the Michel Thomas CD's and it all seems fine, I'm really enjoying it. Good to know that the teachers in UCC are good, as soon as classes become available I'll be there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement