Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Ferry to France

Options
  • 11-07-2014 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

We are looking at going to France June 2015 for 2 weeks by ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourg or Cork to Roscoff but have never done this before.

Need advice on which ferry to travel with - looking for cheapest option for a car, 2 adults & 2 toddlers. I have rang a few ferries & but won't quote for next year but Brittany Ferries said to budget around €800 for a ferry in June ? They also won't commit to which days they sail but think it's safe to assume if they sail on a Saturday this year they also will next year ?

Looking at this years prices Stena seem cheaper than Irish ferries ?

I've also seen people getting good discounts with Tesco vouchers - anyone used these ? Is it worth shopping there for the vouchers ? Does it take long to get vouchers ?

Advice welcome, thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Rosslare to St Nazaire is another possibility. See thread here
    If you are traveling south of Loire this is likely to be cheapest option. Brittany Ferries is likely to be the more expensive ferry but car miles and tolls should be factored in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Want to visit Paris & Normandy so thought Cherbourg was closer ? But if price was an issue could go to St. Nazaire ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

aquarius10 wrote: »
    Want to visit Paris & Normandy so thought Cherbourg was closer ? But if price was an issue could go to St. Nazaire ?

You have a lot of choice - four operators; three departure ports, three arrival ports and five services. However there is quite a difference in the quality of the different ships so you need to decide what is important.

You have two ships aimed at the "car" passenger and three that are primarily catering for freight truck but that offer good deals for cars as well - with less frills.

The best ships unquestionably are the Brittany Ferries Pont Aven that serves Cork-Roscoff (summer only) and the Irish Ferries Oscar Wilde that serves Rosslare/Cherbourg (all year except January) and Rosslare/Roscoff (summer). These ships are aimed at car passengers and offer more space, better choice of catering and better all round comfort. They also have a better cars/cabins ratio.

The other three options are the Irish Ferries service from Dublin to Cherbourg, the Stena service Rosslare/Cherbourg and the just started LD Lines service between Rosslare and St Nazaire. The ships on these routes seem very similar, with more basic facilities and fewer cabins – but cheaper.

Your choice will be based on a mix of destination, cost and quality. For Normandy/Paris, Cherbourg is by far the easiest destination - closest, best roads etc. There are two options from Rosslare and one from Dublin. Irish Ferries' biggest and most comfortable ship is the Oscar Wilde from Rosslare but it is also the most expensive. Some people criticise it for being an older vessel but I use it a lot and have no complaints. Irish Ferries also operate an "economy" service from Dublin to Cherbourg. It is cheaper but a less fancy ship. I haven’t used it so I can’t comment.

Stena sail Rosslare-Cherbourg too. It is a less fancy ship, with fewer dining etc choices but might be cheaper. I used it earlier this year and it was OK, but not a patch on the Oscar Wilde or Pont Aven in terms of comfort.

The LD Lines service from Rosslare to St Nazaire has just started and offered very good "launch offer" prices. Reports so far are positive. More time at sea so it depends on your destination. Most people using it seem to be going on holiday down the Atlantic coast and that makes a lot of sense. Less convenient for Normandy or Paris though.

The shortest sea crossing is Brittany Ferries Cork-Roscoff and its a lovely ship. However it leaves you in the French equivalent of Donegal and is only a summer service and tends to be expensive.

You have to balance convenience (driving at both ends) cost and comfort. But at least it is now a more competitive business so the choices are better. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dvd

hi, i've done this for the last 3 years in may/june and ive always found that its cheaper to wait until feb- march to book.
    they usually have a sale on at that time such as half price cabins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

First Up wrote: »
    You have a lot of choice - four operators; three departure ports, three arrival ports and five services. However there is quite a difference in the quality of the different ships so you need to decide what is important.

You have two ships aimed at the "car" passenger and three that are primarily catering for freight truck but that offer good deals for cars as well - with less frills.

The best ships unquestionably are the Brittany Ferries Pont Aven that serves Cork-Roscoff (summer only) and the Irish Ferries Oscar Wilde that serves Rosslare/Cherbourg (all year except January) and Rosslare/Roscoff (summer). These ships are aimed at car passengers and offer more space, better choice of catering and better all round comfort. They also have a better cars/cabins ratio.

The other three options are the Irish Ferries service from Dublin to Cherbourg, the Stena service Rosslare/Cherbourg and the just started LD Lines service between Rosslare and St Nazaire. The ships on these routes seem very similar, with more basic facilities and fewer cabins – but cheaper.

Your choice will be based on a mix of destination, cost and quality. For Normandy/Paris, Cherbourg is by far the easiest destination - closest, best roads etc. There are two options from Rosslare and one from Dublin. Irish Ferries' biggest and most comfortable ship is the Oscar Wilde from Rosslare but it is also the most expensive. Some people criticise it for being an older vessel but I use it a lot and have no complaints. Irish Ferries also operate an "economy" service from Dublin to Cherbourg. It is cheaper but a less fancy ship. I haven’t used it so I can’t comment.

Stena sail Rosslare-Cherbourg too. It is a less fancy ship, with fewer dining etc choices but might be cheaper. I used it earlier this year and it was OK, but not a patch on the Oscar Wilde or Pont Aven in terms of comfort.

The LD Lines service from Rosslare to St Nazaire has just started and offered very good "launch offer" prices. Reports so far are positive. More time at sea so it depends on your destination. Most people using it seem to be going on holiday down the Atlantic coast and that makes a lot of sense. Less convenient for Normandy or Paris though.

The shortest sea crossing is Brittany Ferries Cork-Roscoff and its a lovely ship. However it leaves you in the French equivalent of Donegal and is only a summer service and tends to be expensive.

You have to balance convenience (driving at both ends) cost and comfort. But at least it is now a more competitive business so the choices are better. Good luck!

I got off the ld lines ferry yesterday. Eurodisney Paris to St Nazarre was over 5 hours with tolls of about 40 euro. Signage is atrocious and we ended up lost skirting paris.

I travelled celtic link last year on a cheap deal to visit normandy, It was basic and clean, but to the point and cheap. They have just been bought out by Stenaline so quality will rise, hope the price doesnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I've done both rosslare to cherbourg and cork to roscoff.

Rosslare - cherbourg - it was a good while since I travelled this route, but the boat was comfortable and you can hit the autoroute for paris pretty much straight off the boat. However, I found the drive back home from rossalare to Mallow total murder the following morning.

Cork to roscoff - have used this route for the last 2 years and am booked to travel again in 3 weeks time. Its not the cheapest, but you can save by booking early. for a Jetta, with a roof box and bike carrier, and an external cabin with a window, we paid in the region of €750. but it really does feel like you're on holidays as soon as you get on the boat. Its essentially like a floating hotel. I'll be travelling this way for the foreseeable future or at least until my kids are old enough to be taken on a flight.

No matter which way you decide to go, the earlier you book, the cheap the price, and also the time of year you plan to travel will be a factor too. waiting till the 'off' season can see price differences of €200

I've done both rosslare to cherbourg and cork to roscoff.

Rosslare - cherbourg - it was a good while since I travelled this route, but the boat was comfortable and you can hit the autoroute for paris pretty much straight off the boat. However, I found the drive back home from rossalare to Mallow total murder the following morning.

Cork to roscoff - have used this route for the last 2 years and am booked to travel again in 3 weeks time. Its not the cheapest, but you can save by booking early. for a Jetta, with a roof box and bike carrier, and an external cabin with a window, we paid in the region of €750. but it really does feel like you're on holidays as soon as you get on the boat. Its essentially like a floating hotel. I'll be travelling this way for the foreseeable future or at least until my kids are old enough to be taken on a flight.

No matter which way you decide to go, the earlier you book, the cheap the price, and also the time of year you plan to travel will be a factor too. waiting till the 'off' season can see price differences of €200

I'd say the off-peak savings are much more than €200. For Cork -Roscoff, the difference between July/August and September is over €300. For Irish Ferries Rosslare-Cherbourg the difference is over €400.

Cork-Roscoff is a lovely trip but Roscoff isn't handy for everywhere.

I'd say the off-peak savings are much more than €200. For Cork -Roscoff, the difference between July/August and September is over €300. For Irish Ferries Rosslare-Cherbourg the difference is over €400.

Cork-Roscoff is a lovely trip but Roscoff isn't handy for everywhere.

perhaps you're right, the reason 200 came to my head was from a trip where we departed at peak time, but came back on an off peak week. It actually worked out cheaper for me to go for 2 weeks holidays than 1.

Agreed with roscoff, its a bit remote - OP, have you any idea of where you'd like to go? that'll give us a better idea of how best to advise you - and also, where are you located in Ireland so we can see which port is closest to you.

perhaps you're right, the reason 200 came to my head was from a trip where we departed at peak time, but came back on an off peak week. It actually worked out cheaper for me to go for 2 weeks holidays than 1.

Agreed with roscoff, its a bit remote - OP, have you any idea of where you'd like to go? that'll give us a better idea of how best to advise you - and also, where are you located in Ireland so we can see which port is closest to you.

The OP mentioned Normandy and Paris, which makes Cherbourg the logical arrival point but the starting point in Ireland is a factor too.

From a quick google map routing, to normandy, cherbourg port is 2 hours, St Nazaire 3 and Roscoff 4 give or take a half an hour here or there.

personally, I'd rather put in the mileage abroad as you're still getting to see a bit of countryside. Also, I like to arrive home early on return, so the cork ferry ticks all the boxes for me in that sense. Depending on the OPs location they'll have to judge for themselves. I notice a lot of people taking that LD line ferry looking to book accomodation for the night once they get back to Ireland, I'd justify the more expensive ferry for that reason alone.

• Advertisement

From a quick google map routing, to normandy, cherbourg port is 2 hours, St Nazaire 3 and Roscoff 4 give or take a half an hour here or there.

personally, I'd rather put in the mileage abroad as you're still getting to see a bit of countryside. Also, I like to arrive home early on return, so the cork ferry ticks all the boxes for me in that sense. Depending on the OPs location they'll have to judge for themselves. I notice a lot of people taking that LD line ferry looking to book accomodation for the night once they get back to Ireland, I'd justify the more expensive ferry for that reason alone.

Cherbourg is in Normandy.

all depends where in normandy he wants to go though. The town of normandy is still over 2 hours from cherbourg.

all depends where in normandy he wants to go though. The town of normandy is still over 2 hours from cherbourg.

True, but most of the parts of interest (D Day beaches for example, or nice spots like Dauville or Honfleur) are within easy reach of Cherbourg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

We went out on LD lines to St Nazaire and came back on Stenna from Cherbourg very recently.
    We used always go (6-7 years) with Brittany ferries as we had a long drive in France and i arrived in at 7am on a Sunday

The two ships are very similar in design, with large open car decks aft, and a cabin and bar/resteraunt deck forward.

While there are more amenities on the Pont Aven (Brittany Ferries ship) the cabins are smaller, and it is more expensive. To go the second last weekend in June and return 3 weeks later was about 1100 this year. The 800 you may have been quoted might not have included a cabin, at about 115 per night...
    It is the shortest crossing though.

LD lines has the newest ship, but she has only limited circulation area, a bar, a restaurant and a room between them. It also takes the longest, we left Rosslare at
    9:30 pm and arrived in St Nazaire at 5:30pm the next day.
    The 4 berth cabin has fine wide beds, maybe even 3 feet wide, and was about 8 feet wide, Stennas ship had almost identical cabins. Britanny Ferries cabin is about 6' wide.
    LD lines was by far the cheapest, but that was probably a loss leader to get custom starting off.

Stennas ship had a cinema, 2 bars, a resteraunt, and more exterior deck area. and free wifi

Britanny Ferries has a cinema, a shop, 2 bars, 2 restaurants(1self service, 1 sit down) an upper gallery looking down at the dancefloor in the bar, and a swimming pool.

We used to get dinner in the sit down restaurant going out, but in 2013 they jacked the prices up, and only allowed a full meal menu, pretty much doubling the cost for an adults meal.

This year we brought colouring books and picnic food on the ferry to amuse the little miss Carawaysticks, and loaded a few movies/cartoons onto our phones. which along with a few breaks to go exploring and looking out for land seemed to keep them happy.

It's pretty much motorway the whole way from the ports to Paris, once you get 10 km from Roscoff, or out of Cherbourg.

Mappy.fr will tell you the tolls on your route.

Driving around Paris is hard work, I'd only do it if really necessary. Trains to Eurodisney from the paris area are a much better option. I wouldn't drive IN Paris unless it was critical....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

We've used Celtic Link (now Stena) for the last few years. Before our eldest started school we sailed off peak and got prices of €320 return in May or September. This year it was €820 return in August- still great value for a 6 berth Motorhome, cabin each way for 2 adults and 3 children. We've booked in January for the last few years and seem to save a bit that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 preschoolmouse

We have traveled on both Irish Ferries and Brittany Ferries (we live in Cork). If you intend on driving more that 3-4 hours in France you should use Brittany Ferries as they arrive in Roscoff at approx 7am on Sunday morning. Irish Ferries give more options to travel on week days but you get into Roscoff at approx 11am. Both ships have similar comfort except no pool on Irish ferries. I am going out on Irish Ferries and returning on Brittany Ferries next year as I want to go for two and a half weeks, and return to a ferry port close to home. Do not plan to drive in Paris if it can be avoided, crazy drivers, sat navs get mixed up as streets very close together, you will get lost numerous times like we did. but then again all part of holiday and put it down to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RossieJules

I am considering taking the car and dogs to France next yr. You have all given excellent advice on the ferries and indeed one should know ones destination before deciding on a ferry. That is my problem, I cant decide which port to head towards. I don't want to go near Paris, been there done that. Have never really visited much of France. I can go off peak as my 'kids' are now grown up ;). Any suggestions for holiday not surrounded by kids. good for dogs. Near water. I love castles, old towns & cities. Was considering ferry to roscroff but few have said its a bit remote. Don't mind a bit of driving but its not going to be a driving holiday so a few hours from the port. Cherbourg perhaps? I think maybe driving through UK would be a hassle, traffic etc. But am I incorrect in this assumption? Are there a lot of toll roads in France? Are they expensive?

I am considering taking the car and dogs to France next yr. You have all given excellent advice on the ferries and indeed one should know ones destination before deciding on a ferry. That is my problem, I cant decide which port to head towards. I don't want to go near Paris, been there done that. Have never really visited much of France. I can go off peak as my 'kids' are now grown up ;). Any suggestions for holiday not surrounded by kids. good for dogs. Near water. I love castles, old towns & cities. Was considering ferry to roscroff but few have said its a bit remote. Don't mind a bit of driving but its not going to be a driving holiday so a few hours from the port. Cherbourg perhaps? I think maybe driving through UK would be a hassle, traffic etc. But am I incorrect in this assumption? Are there a lot of toll roads in France? Are they expensive?

With the choices available from here, going through the UK really only makes sense if you want to use the tunnel. Its a long, boring drive.
    If you are not going long distances you don't need to use the autoroutes so tolls shouldn't be a problem.
    I would say Cherbourg offers the best options and lots to do and see in Normandy with many historical places (as well as good beaches for the dog. Brittany is nice too - a bit more rural and has nice coastal towns. Only thing is weather on Finistere can be a bit grey. I wouldn't risk Brittany much before June or later than mid September.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cedar5

We travelled to Disney land paris last April at easter by boat 2ad&5children I had saved my tesco tokens so 200 euro of tokens paid for the irish ferries boat and 2cabins and we had 50euro credit as boat cost 750 you get the tokens quickly if u apply online for them then book the boat the next day and I think they give u about 2wks to send in vouchers it really brought the cost of our holiday down we went on the Dublin-cherbourg boat going out it isnt very big for walking round and only has a restaurant and bar but even with 5kids from 11to 5yrs we found it grand all the cabins have a tv with a good few channels including kids movies and music so kids loved that and as we live in Dublin we only had to go down the road to the boat we went to bed early had a good sleep and were off the boat at 10.30the nxt am then 3.5 -4hours drive to Disney land coming bk we drove into Paris around 11parked near the eiffel tower done usual sites and then headed for boat took about 3 1/2 hrs came bk on oscar wilde which is much bigger for walking round but that's about it in my opinion as I had heard so much about this boat I had high expectations! ! u have to pay extra to have a cabin with tv also have to pay to go to cinema there was nothing on board for the kids except a small soft play area for the 5yr olds and of course for us we had to drive up from rosslare after getting off but we enjoyed the holiday and would definitely recommend using the tesco tokens

cedar5 wrote: »
    We travelled to Disney land paris last April at easter by boat 2ad&5children I had saved my tesco tokens so 200 euro of tokens paid for the irish ferries boat and 2cabins and we had 50euro credit as boat cost 750 you get the tokens quickly if u apply online for them then book the boat the next day and I think they give u about 2wks to send in vouchers it really brought the cost of our holiday down

we went on the Dublin-cherbourg boat going out it isnt very big for walking round and only has a restaurant and bar but even with 5kids from 11to 5yrs we found it grand all the cabins have a tv with a good few channels including kids movies and music so kids loved that and as we live in Dublin we only had to go down the road to the boat we went to bed early had a good sleep and were off the boat at 10.30the nxt am then 3.5 -4hours drive to Disney land coming bk we drove into Paris around 11parked near the eiffel tower done usual sites and then headed for boat took about 3 1/2 hrs came bk on oscar wilde which is much bigger for walking round but that's about it in my opinion as I had heard so much about this boat I had high expectations! ! u have to pay extra to have a cabin with tv also have to pay to go to cinema there was nothing on board for the kids except a small soft play area for the 5yr olds and of course for us we had to drive up from rosslare after getting off but we enjoyed the holiday and would definitely recommend using the tesco tokens

Are you saying cabins on Oscar Wilde with a tv cost more than cabins without? Never came across that. Any cabin I've used had a tv as standard.
    I don't use the kids entertainment but always seemed to be lots going on - clowns, magic shows and other
    diversions.

• Advertisement

Are you saying cabins on Oscar Wilde with a tv cost more than cabins without? Never came across that. Any cabin I've used had a tv as standard.
    I don't use the kids entertainment but always seemed to be lots going on - clowns, magic shows and other
    diversions.
    Yes we had 2 4bed cabins with no window that had no tv and if we wanted a tv we would have to choose a more expensive cabin maybe cos it was easter and not summer that there was no entertainment

diversions.
    Yes we had 2 4bed cabins with no window that had no tv and if we wanted a tv we would have to choose a more expensive cabin maybe cos it was easter and not summer that there was no entertainment

cedar5 wrote: »

I had assumed from your earlier post you had traveled recently - i.e. in summer.
    I know that the "entertainment" programme on the OW runs until early or mid September but probably not worthwhile putting it together for a few days at Easter.

I checked and it looks as if TVs are only in the 3 star and up cabins but that is clear on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RossieJules

With the choices available from here, going through the UK really only makes sense if you want to use the tunnel. Its a long, boring drive.
    If you are not going long distances you don't need to use the autoroutes so tolls shouldn't be a problem.
    I would say Cherbourg offers the best options and lots to do and see in Normandy with many historical places (as well as good beaches for the dog. Brittany is nice too - a bit more rural and has nice coastal towns. Only thing is weather on Finistere can be a bit grey. I wouldn't risk Brittany much before June or later than mid September.

Great thanks I will concentrate my search here.

Thanks again for all the tips. We will be travelling from Limerick to the irish port so cork or rosslare are as far from us and will be heading to Disneyland paris for a week and then a week in Cote de Nacre, Saint Aubin sur Mer, Normandy so Cherbourg makes sense for this part of France.

I've priced Brittany ferries for the weekend 20 June 2015 and it's approx €998 for a car, 2 adults & 2 kids for 2 weeks inside 4 berth Cabin, Stena is €768 for similar dates Rosslare - Cherbourg.

If we leave a few days earlier around the 15 June we could save another €200 with stena & Brittany ferries so will probably travel earlier ?

Irish Ferries still have no prices for 2015. I need to book Disney before October to get free days & nights but just don't know if I should wait for irish ferry prices, or just take the chance they will sail & Monday and it won't be too expensive - they have better sailing times and would prefer to arrive as early in the week as possible before Disney gets busy at the weekends.

Unfortunately don't have tesco vouchers saved but know for the future to keep them.

Think we will travel rosslare - Cherbourg but with Stena or Irish Ferries ? Will just have to wait a few more weeks for Irish Ferries to release their 2015 schedule & prices.

Thanks again for all the tips. We will be travelling from Limerick to the irish port so cork or rosslare are as far from us and will be heading to Disneyland paris for a week and then a week in Cote de Nacre, Saint Aubin sur Mer, Normandy so Cherbourg makes sense for this part of France.

I've priced Brittany ferries for the weekend 20 June 2015 and it's approx €998 for a car, 2 adults & 2 kids for 2 weeks inside 4 berth Cabin, Stena is €768 for similar dates Rosslare - Cherbourg.

If we leave a few days earlier around the 15 June we could save another €200 with stena & Brittany ferries so will probably travel earlier ?

Irish Ferries still have no prices for 2015. I need to book Disney before October to get free days & nights but just don't know if I should wait for irish ferry prices, or just take the chance they will sail & Monday and it won't be too expensive - they have better sailing times and would prefer to arrive as early in the week as possible before Disney gets busy at the weekends.

Unfortunately don't have tesco vouchers saved but know for the future to keep them.

Think we will travel rosslare - Cherbourg but with Stena or Irish Ferries ? Will just have to wait a few more weeks for Irish Ferries to release their 2015 schedule & prices.

With that itinerary it has to be Cherbourg. I'm surprised IF have no prices out yet. Did they say when to expect them?

First up - I've been told it will be a few weeks they don't really know ?

First up - I've been told it will be a few weeks they don't really know ?

OK - thanks. Seems strange to be this late - transport companies are usually keen to get bookings as early as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

2 days in Disneyland Paris is more than enough for anyone , The free days is a gimmick IMO

• Advertisement

We are travelling with 2 young kids who adore Disney and would rather spend a few hours each day or evening in Disney, see the parades, night shows, allowing time for naps, going to the pools, relaxing etc rather than cramming in everything in 2 days. It would be too much for them, hence taking our time over 5 days. Plus it's the same price for 3 days as 5 days and we get in early each day as we will be on site - so I'll take whatever we can get for €800. :)

Advertisement