Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee refills ?

Options
  • 11-07-2014 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Do any Cafes here do coffee refills ? It is such a normal everyday thing in the States and many other countries, I can't get how they get away with not offering it here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Piliger wrote: »
    Do any Cafes here do coffee refills ? It is such a normal everyday thing in the States and many other countries, I can't get how they get away with not offering it here.

The audacity of it all :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It is such a normal everyday thing in the States

Different country, different cafe culture. Avoca do refills, not sure it it's just for regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Elephant & Castle do it but they are supposed to be like a New York diner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

It completely ridiculous!! I'm getting on to Joe Duffy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Irish people demand better coffee from their restaurants/cafes?

Drip or filter doesn't cut it, and offering free espresso based drinks (americano, long black, latte, cappuccino, flat white etc.) is too expensive to offer for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Cafes in Ireland like everywhere else in Europe, typically don't offer filter coffee. It's espresso here and it's not really possible to refill an espresso based drink in correct proportions. An american woman came into where I used to work once and asked if we had 'American Coffee' I said, 'like an Americano?' thinking that was what she meant. She replied yes, and was not happy when I handed her an Americano. There's a perception amongst American visitors in Ireland, and the rest of Europe that we must adapt our food/drink culture to suit them, that is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I actually found refills very annoying in the States as they usually charge for it and don't mention it. I have no issue in paying for it, buts its the slightly underhand nature of not mentioning that its going to cost you. At least be upfront about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

ironclaw wrote: »
    I actually found refills very annoying in the States as they usually charge for it and don't mention it. I have no issue in paying for it, buts its the slightly underhand nature of not mentioning that its going to cost you. At least be upfront about it.
    Lived in the States for a summer and was never once charged for a refill of coffee or soft drink. Worked in a bar/restaurant too and we never charged for them. Their coffee is definitely a lower standard though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Only place I've seen offering free refills in Ireland is Starbucks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

cgcsb wrote: »
    There's a perception amongst American visitors in Ireland, and the rest of Europe that we must adapt our food/drink culture to suit them, that is not going to happen.

I for one think it's hilarious that gourmet coffee is considered 'our culture' now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Working on that premise why don't pubs do ''free'' refills..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

You might snigger at the culture of gourmet coffee - and rightly so - but it beats bad coffee. Costa express has saved us from coffee flavoured dishwater at garages all over the country. That most coffee in the country is served at petrol stations is a stick in the wheel of gourmet coffee culture for a start.

Refills are at odds with the Italian style of coffee serving. Unless a pot is brewed, a barrista ( snigger ) would have to make up another one at the expensive coffee machine.

Nobody asks for a black coffee, you can't have an 'americano' refill. If we could disassociate coffee serving from the all that pretentious Italian styling we might be able to offer a refill, which is quite reasonable.

There's a perception amongst American visitors in Ireland, and the rest of Europe that we must adapt our food/drink culture to suit them, that is not going to happen.

Ah, c'mon, most Americans that travel around Europe are fairly educated and embrace the cultures!
    HivemindXX wrote: »
    I for one think it's hilarious that gourmet coffee is considered 'our culture' now.

Cultures rapidly evolve in multicultural busy cities. Even my folks in their sixties head in to the city, get a nice coffee and watch the world go by. It's not that hilarious.

I'm wondering did Piligar just come on to make a point or to avail of the info we are giving him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Jello wrote: »
    Lived in the States for a summer and was never once charged for a refill of coffee or soft drink. Worked in a bar/restaurant too and we never charged for them. Their coffee is definitely a lower standard though.

Yeah, I've driven a huge amount of miles in the States and even coast to coast, so I've been in everything from diner to up scale. And your right, some places its free and in others I have been charged. But on no occasion was I told either way. It kinda got to the point where I just refused a refill as the coffee was so bad I'd rather not be hit with a bill for it.

Not wishing to white wash, but I feel a segment of Irish (And I am 100% Irish myself) are very much a 'something for nothing' society and I feel if such a system was introduced anywhere, people would abuse it i.e. Order the cheapest thing on the menu to get a free coffee. A lot of Irish, especially in my age bracket, are mind blowingly 'cheap'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I'd rather pay for a decent second cup than get a free refill of that brown water that passes for coffee in most American establishments, Starbucks included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Cafes in Ireland like everywhere else in Europe, typically don't offer filter coffee. It's espresso here and it's not really possible to refill an espresso based drink in correct proportions.
    So you think everyone drinks espresso here ? really ? And I have been in Paris, Barcelona and Krakow already this year and half of the cafe's restaurants refilled my Americanos.
    An american woman came into where I used to work once and asked if we had 'American Coffee' I said, 'like an Americano?' thinking that was what she meant. She replied yes, and was not happy when I handed her an Americano. There's a perception amongst American visitors in Ireland, and the rest of Europe that we must adapt our food/drink culture to suit them, that is not going to happen.
    You seem to have a problem with Americans. I don't.

Absolutely. But having been in dozens of American places from NY to LA, and never once been charged .. I don't feel this is an issue.

Not wishing to white wash, but I feel a segment of Irish (And I am 100% Irish myself) are very much a 'something for nothing' society and I feel if such a system was introduced anywhere, people would abuse it i.e. Order the cheapest thing on the menu to get a free coffee. A lot of Irish, especially in my age bracket, are mind blowingly 'cheap'
    I find that nothing less than pure bigotry.

Seems the helpful posts answering your original question haven't made you very happy piliger!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

The OP is showing their ignorance here. As was mentioned earlier, the big difference is espresso versus filter coffee. All your free refills in the states are filter soup concoctions whilst 90%+ of cafes here use espresso machines. There are places that offer free refills on filter coffee but you're unlikely to want one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

ror_74 wrote: »
    You might snigger at the culture of gourmet coffee - and rightly so - but it beats bad coffee. Costa express has saved us from coffee flavoured dishwater at garages all over the country. That most coffee in the country is served at petrol stations is a stick in the wheel of gourmet coffee culture for a start.

Refills are at odds with the Italian style of coffee serving. Unless a pot is brewed, a barrista ( snigger ) would have to make up another one at the expensive coffee machine.

Nobody asks for a black coffee, you can't have an 'americano' refill. If we could disassociate coffee serving from the all that pretentious Italian styling we might be able to offer a refill, which is quite reasonable.
    Costa express? I love costa coffee, hate starbucks, BUT, I find costa express machines absolutely awful.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Seems the helpful posts answering your original question haven't made you very happy piliger!

On the contrary, the helpful posts have made me very happy. Johnny !

Thomas D wrote: »
    The OP is showing their ignorance here. As was mentioned earlier, the big difference is espresso versus filter coffee. All your free refills in the states are filter soup concoctions whilst 90%+ of cafes here use espresso machines. There are places that offer free refills on filter coffee but you're unlikely to want one.

I think are just showing your ignorance in not reading either my original or follow up posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

I think are just showing your ignorance in not reading either my original or follow up posts.

I read them. It's still a stupid question. Would you expect a second helping of a meal at a restaurant? ****ty filter coffee is offered because it costs nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

haro124 wrote: »
    Only place I've seen offering free refills in Ireland is Starbucks
    I wouldnt even put coffee and starbucks in the same sentence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Lucky you don't work for their marketing department so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Costa express? I love costa coffee, hate starbucks, BUT, I find costa express machines absolutely awful.

They don't provide the best coffee you'll ever have, but Ive been impressed with their overall quality and consistency, especially given the alternative. Plus they do a brownie with coffee for 4 euro. And you get to set on a stool watching people fill up their cars :pac:

I don't get all the starbucks hatin' . My niece loves them and it seems most of her age group do to. Is there anyone over the age of 21 that hates them ? Thought as much.

I wouldnt even put coffee and starbucks in the same sentence

That's subjective taste for you. I chose to spend a lot of time and money in Starbucks because they make great coffee. Each to his own I guess.

Thomas D wrote: »
    I read them. It's still a stupid question. Would you expect a second helping of a meal at a restaurant? ****ty filter coffee is offered because it costs nothing.

Well it doesn't take much intelligence to just call people stupid. Especially when you choose such a poor analogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭cgcsb

HivemindXX wrote: »

I'm not old enough to remember espresso not being the norm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement