Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee refills ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Piliger wrote: »
    So you think everyone drinks espresso here ? really ? And I have been in Paris, Barcelona and Krakow already this year and half of the cafe's restaurants refilled my Americanos.

I don't know anybody goes to a cafe and requests a filter coffee, likewise I dont know any cafes that would serve it if asked.

If you are having your americano refilled, are they making you a new americano? how do they do they 'refill' it in correct proportions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Espressos are gourmet now? Anything else isn't really coffee IMO. But yeah, we should just accept crap and not get ideas above our station. What an attitude.

cgcsb wrote: »
    I don't know anybody goes to a cafe and requests a filter coffee, likewise I dont know any cafes that would serve it if asked.

If you are having your americano refilled, are they making you a new americano? how do they do they 'refill' it in correct proportions?

Exactly it's nonsense. Can I have my burger topped up please? Sorry, some people don't get the analogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Thomas D wrote: »
    Exactly it's nonsense. Can I have my burger topped up please? Sorry, some people don't get the analogy.

Explain how its nonsense ? I ' refill ' my own cup at home all the time. Its perfectly reasonable.

And why do most restaurants offer just black or white coffee ? Maybe the menu is too full to fit in all that Italian guff.

What isn't so reasonable is the idea coffee can't be consumed outside of an Italian serving system, with all its attendant expensive equipment. Unless you want the fattest possible profit margins of course.

Let's be clear Italian style service is not in operation in Ireland. Italian coffee consists almost entirely of espresso bars, mostly with standing room only where you can buy espresso, single or double and or a machiatto and that's about it. The type of coffee on offer in Ireland is more typical of the northern European (Germany northwards style). And most restaurants in Ireland offer every variety of espresso drink in my experience.

• Advertisement

I'd say you lot would be better off carrying around some nescafe sachets with you and asking for hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I wouldnt even put coffee and starbucks in the same sentence

Here we go again with Starbucks bashing to appear to be a conisseur of "real coffee". I prefer filter coffee and Starbucks is one of the few that offer it so I am happy that they are around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

cgcsb wrote: »

You appear to be using the term refill in a very strange way ... as in 'top up' ? :o

Correct. I was in Tribeca last month and asked for more Fries and onion rings. No problem. No charge. I've asked for and received extra rice in Chinese restaurants without being charged. In pubs at lunch I have asked for an extra couple of pieces of roast beef. Good business know what good service means.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Correct. I was in Tribeca last month and asked for more Fries and onion rings. No problem. No charge. I've asked for and received extra rice in Chinese restaurants without being charged. In pubs at lunch I have asked for an extra couple of pieces of roast beef. Good business know what good service means.

Except you're looking for a complete replacement product free.

Its not done in Ireland, accept it and move on.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Except you're looking for a complete replacement product free.

No. Is extra fried a 'complete replacement product' ? Move on if you like, don't let me hold you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Red Robin (and I'm sure others, but I've specifically eaten there) do bottomless fries in the states so the analogy isn't completely inept.

No. Is extra fried a 'complete replacement product' ? Move on if you like, don't let me hold you back.

A complete cup of coffee is; and that is what you were trying to use those as a comparison to.

Red Robin (and I'm sure others, but I've specifically eaten there) do bottomless fries in the states so the analogy isn't completely inept.

Do they make a complete replacement from start to finish just for that customer? No.

A complete cup of coffee is; and that is what you were trying to use those as a comparison to.

No. Why would I expect a top up if I only went in for a cup of coffee ? That would be silly. When I go into a cafe I would also have at the very least quite an expensive piece of cake, more often a sandwich or roll as well. Coffee is only one thing a cafe sells.

No. Why would I expect a top up if I only went in for a cup of coffee ? That would be silly. When I go into a cafe I would also have at the very least quite an expensive piece of cake, more often a sandwich or roll as well. Coffee is only one thing a cafe sells.

You bought the coffee as an item. You are expecting a complete replacement of that item for free.

Your obscure logic here astounds me.

Your obscure logic here astounds me.
    And yours me. Touche.

Can you please post a list of all food and drink items you expect to be replaced for free and your logic behind it. Thanks.

Can you please post a list of all food and drink items you expect to be replaced for free and your logic behind it. Thanks.
    I don't do requests. This is a discussion forum. If you have nothing more to say then that's fine with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

This has run its course. Its not a Dublin City topic anymore

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement