Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Your Opinion On Encores?

• 11-07-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭

I think they're almost pointless and totally overdone.

Overall, I think it's a bit silly for a band to go off the stage for a few minutes just to come back on again, especially when everyone knows that they'll be coming back anyway. Some of the best gigs I've been to haven't had any encores and it didn't affect my enjoyment at all. Although, I think if they happen sparingly or at special occasions they can be a nice surprise for the audience.

Anyway, what's your opinion on them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I dont care either way, once I feel that the artist has justified the price of the ticket, by giving a sufficient amount of time on stage.

Sometimes it can be a pleasant surprise just when you think the gig is finished, for the artist/band to suddenly reappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

^ Pretty much the same

I don't mind either way so long as the band/artist put on a great show and I feel financially justified.

When you've been to as many gigs as I have (almost 40) it does get a bit predictable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dobz95

I too think some of them are overdone, but when I saw Bob Dylan live at the Marquee last month I was glad he did an encore for the simple reason that during the concert he pretty much only did songs from his most recent released album 'Tempest'. Not only me but I know many others there wanted to hear his classics you know! Don't get me wrong, Tempest is a very good album I enjoy it but I was very glad he came out for an encore. Predictable because its Dylan I know but in his encore he did ‘Things Have Changed’ ‘All Along the Watchtower' and if I remember correctly he also did 'Blowing in the Wind' during the encore but man the whole atmosphere changed for better once his encore started!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

dobz95 wrote: »
    I too think some of them are overdone, but when I saw Bob Dylan live at the Marquee last month I was glad he did an encore for the simple reason that during the concert he pretty much only did songs from his most recent released album 'Tempest'. Not only me but I know many others there wanted to hear his classics you know! Don't get me wrong, Tempest is a very good album I enjoy it but I was very glad he came out for an encore. Predictable because its Dylan I know but in his encore he did ‘Things Have Changed’ ‘All Along the Watchtower' and if I remember correctly he also did 'Blowing in the Wind' during the encore but man the whole atmosphere changed for better once his encore started!

I was at that concert too. Things Have Changed was the very first song he played. I was glad that he did the encore too as All Along The Watchtower was my highlight of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

karaokeman wrote: »
    ^ Pretty much the same

I don't mind either way so long as the band/artist put on a great show and I feel financially justified.

When you've been to as many gigs as I have (almost 40) it does get a bit predictable though.

Aaah now c'mon, I went to almost 40 alone last year & the year before & year before, for 20 years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Laura Marling doesn't do encore's. Only plays sometimes for an hour too.

Most folks would feel a bit peed with that, rightly so IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭justmyself

Depends on what song it is... and if the band are playing for the audience or just doing it for the sake off... generally Encores are the real classics. so i love them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I like encores

I like encores

i like encores.

• Advertisement
Advertisement