Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike for a 2 year old with no stabilisers and pedal brakes?

Options
  • 11-07-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Can anyone recommend a good pedal bike for a 2.5 year old? She just started cycling without stabilisers last week but the normal 12 inch bikes seem still just a bit too big for when she needs to stop.

I only want pedal brakes not handbrakes as she is way too small and I prefer them for safety. I'd also prefer a lighter frame.

I was wondering if maybe a 10 inch bike would be best but haven't seen anything like this around Ireland? Perhaps that might be a waste though and I should just go for a 12 inch bike as she will get longer out of it?

I looked at Puky bikes (German) but the only place I saw here in Ireland that sells them (Balancebikes.ie) had no 12 inch in stock and it's a 4-6 week wait to order one. Also looked at The Dutch Bikeshop and they have pedal brake bikes but they are still the heavy ones.

Any other places anyone can suggest or brands? Thanks x

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If highly reccomend a balance bike. My son has had the same one since he was 2 and he's nearly 4 now. He's just about to outgrow it.

http://www.princelionheart.com/site/p_bike_7600.html

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dub4747

Thanks Brian. She flies along on friend's balance bikes at the park but she sees that as something she has mastered if you know what I mean. The pedal bike is a big challenge and achievement and that's all she is interested in :-)

Her big brother is 4 and just learned to ride his bike without stabilisers so she's all about doing what he does. I never thought she'd have the balance, agility, etc to ride a normal pedal bike without stabilisers but she has done it so we want to encourage her. Her brother's bike is a 16 inch so way too big to share with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dub4747

Anyone else any thoughts? Thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Try islabikes. Expensive but worth it and they keep their value on the second hand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pedals don't work on very small bikes for geometry and morphology reasons, but maybe she is big enough.

Both mine started on Islabike CNOC 14s. I think the youngest was pedalling away without stabilisers on her 3rd birthday, but maybe I misremembered that.

Gave one away to a relative. It's now rotten from rust after being kept outside for several years. Ffffffffff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 JPWOctane

Has she tried a bike with pedal brakes? My daughter couldn't get on with them, impossible for her to get the pedals in the right position for starting off. We ended up swapping the rear wheel.

I'd second the Islabikes recommendation. The brakes are very good for small hands.

Advertisement