Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handgun Licence

Options
  • 11-07-2014 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about get my first firearms licence and was wondering if you can get a licence for handguns.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

5 shot .22lr if you're a member of a range.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭SuperBlu26

Ok thanks do you have any pistol recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

SuperBlu26 wrote: »
    I was thinking about get my first firearms licence and was wondering if you can get a licence for handguns.
    Thanks.

Yes you can, as per Blays post.

But before you look and decide, it is best to make an appointment with your local firearms officer and see what he advises what your local super will be likely to approve you to get.

Once you can demonstrate a legal requirement for the handgun, comply with security requirements, etc. and satisfy your super, you should be able to look at some firearms that satisfy the criteria.

Best of luck :)

Thanks!

Also wondering what caliber rifles you are allow to get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

What ever u need to do the job :D

50 cal for a few rabbits ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Pretty much anything from. 17 out to. 300wm unrestricted if you can prove a legal requirement and satisfy your local supers requirements and legislative requirements.

1shot16 wrote: »
    What ever u need to do the job :D

50 cal for a few rabbits ;)

Suppose I'll go for the 50 cal, never know when u might need it! ;)

Are assault rifles such as AR-15s permitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

amadablam wrote: »
    Yes you can, as per Blays post.

But before you look and decide, it is best to make an appointment with your local firearms officer and see what he advises what your local super will be likely to approve you to get.

Once you can demonstrate a legal requirement for the handgun, comply with security requirements, etc. and satisfy your super, you should be able to look at some firearms that satisfy the criteria.

Best of luck :)

I would do this too for a first license plus it's good to get to know the officer dealing with your application.
    I have a really nice chap I only got to meet when he was checking the safe on renewal.
    Ranges are about 300 to join my way.
    It might be worth while going to a range for a few visits to see if you like it before handing over hard earned cash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Thanks.

I notice similar questions like this come up every now and again and I always ask myself these questions of the OP:

1. Do you satisfy the basic legal requirements? - personal, storage.
    2. What experience do you have? - this will help direct you.
    3. What do you want to do - hunting, target shooting - again direction.
    4. Facilities to hand - range, suitable land permisson etc.
    5. Consider the costs: firearms + add ons, gunsafe, range membership / fees, ammo, insurance, transportation etc.

There are plenty of firearms for sale because the owners didn't buy right first time around or very quickly realized shooting is not really thier thing.

Any how give it a try with friends and family or through a club etc its a great sport.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll go to a range some day and see where it goes from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yes,BUT first off we tend to call those above Modular Sporting Rifles in polite company around here these days.;):)Unless it has select fire capability [IE safe,semi full auto or burst fire] it is not a true assault rifle per se and were it such a gun it would be unliscenseable under Irish or EU legislation.
    You certainly can liscense a MSR or a semi auto rifle here.BUT be prepared for a possible refusal and some court time to prove that the rifle doesnt "look like" an assault rifle with your chief superintendant. This is the "Idontlikede lookodatnow!" clause in the firearms act that allows the PTB to decide that something" looks like"something else:rolleyes:Slight problem being in Irish legislation there is no definition of what an "assault rifle" looks like either.That can work,and has done both ways in court.
    So yes it is doable,but its only for the brave of heart and deep of pocket.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Yes,BUT first off we tend to call those above Modular Sporting Rifles in polite company around here these days.;):)Unless it has select fire capability [IE safe,semi full auto or burst fire] it is not a true assault rifle per se and were it such a gun it would be unliscenseable under Irish or EU legislation.
    You certainly can liscense a MSR or a semi auto rifle here.BUT be prepared for a possible refusal and some court time to prove that the rifle doesnt "look like" an assault rifle with your chief superintendant. This is the "Idontlikede lookodatnow!" clause in the firearms act that allows the PTB to decide that something" looks like"something else:rolleyes:Slight problem being in Irish legislation there is no definition of what an "assault rifle" looks like either.That can work,and has done both ways in court.
    So yes it is doable,but its only for the brave of heart and deep of pocket.

For the minute I think I'll stick with the easy stuff but maybe sometime in the future I might go for it!

Advertisement