Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underage gaa

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Hi,nope I am no further on.. It's exactly the same if not worse,the club has 2 u12 teams in the summer league his b team which my son is on,got to semi final and he threw the match saying he didn't want to get bet in the final,his a team which is all his good players and the ones he trained all season got bet last night in their semi final,he's not one bit happy.

I did contact the county child protection officer who phoned the chairman of the underage and explained that u10's shouldn't be getting preference over u12's but it all fell on deaf ears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Hi,nope I am no further on.. It's exactly the same if not worse,the club has 2 u12 teams in the summer league his b team which my son is on,got to semi final and he threw the match saying he didn't want to get bet in the final,his a team which is all his good players and the ones he trained all season got bet last night in their semi final,he's not one bit happy.

I did contact the county child protection officer who phoned the chairman of the underage and explained that u10's shouldn't be getting preference over u12's but it all fell on deaf ears

What!?!?! I don't believe this. You're not saying that he got 10-12 yo kids to purposefully throw a match, are you? Mudder of God!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Where is this club based?

As a coach I would have thought this sort of behaviour was consigned to the past.
    I have come up against some ignorant thinking/people in dealing with opposition clubs.

Well... He told the manager of the other team that he didn't want to win as he knew he would get hammered in the final so,he played the match with his usual team,they were winning at half time,during witch he subbed 8 of these players for boys who had only reciently joined/never played 1 match before/not trained before. The opposing team scored 3-3 straight after the break and with about 5 minutes to go he brought on a few of his original players.
    He also sent a text to parents saying there would be food in the pub after the match for the kids,match started at 7,text was sent at 7:09pm.
    He had no food organised for his A team after last nights semi final as he was sure he was going to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Why is he allowed to manage the 2nd team when he has nothing to do with them in training?

I really think that this is disgraceful. I have seen similar happen but not to this extreme.

I dont know if it was the overall club chairman that you approached but if it was the Juvenile chairman then you (and preferably some other parents) should approach some members of the senior committee. The chances are that there are many others that agree with you on this.

It would be great if you could write a letter to the secretary of the senior and juvenile clubs highlighting all the issues. Try and get as many to sign it as possible. If the meetings are being held correctly the letter has to be read out at the monthly meeting.

It is not easy and it is now approaching the end of the season without it being resolved. Personally, I would think approaching the county board wont help as they have so much to do to be getting involved with club issues.

He I the overall coach of the u12 team,he has a few mentors with him,he brings his best players and he and 2 other mentors train them and another of his mentors train the rest of the u12's.he trains around 11-12 players,there is another maybe 10-15 then with the other mentor. It's the way it's always been,he was training the u10's last year with my ds and it was same then.
    A lot of parents are not happy.and some were disguisted after the match last week.we have asked them to put it in writing but they are aware,as the coach has told is,we will not get fair play for our son if we keep complaining about him,the other parents don't want to put it in writing or speak up for this reason

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭THENORTHSIDER

Hi Tinkerbell4484, obviously your not the only one effected by this and not the only one to recognise whats happening. If the club was able to put an 'A' and a 'B' team into a blitz then there must be a large number of players in the squad. Why not talk with the other parents of the 'B' team and organise a second team at this age group.

I know not everyone can commit week in week out but surely ye can organise to have 2/3/4 parents there for training. Once ye know what level ye are at, organise a few friendlies so that ye are competing at a similar level and all players are getting a fair chance and an equal amount of game time.

Getting it off the ground initially is the difficult part but once ye are up and running I believe both parents and more importantly the children will appreciate the efforts.

It is going on at all codes and in the majority of clubs all over the country . The governing bodies have wonderful inititives but no one to oversee the implmentation.

PLEASE don't give up for the sake of your child ;).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

there also should be end of year Coiste na nog AGM where officers have to be ratified etc. Speak to the secretary/chairman and ask for time to speak at the meeting. And make sure you and some parents turn up. I know in our club there can often be heated AGMs over the handling of teams and the way they are going, but it all works to the benefit of the club to have everything out in the open and to highlight issues. There may be many in the club who dont know this is happening, and would be prepared to make changes if they knew the full truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

bruschi wrote: »
    there also should be end of year Coiste na nog AGM where officers have to be ratified etc. Speak to the secretary/chairman and ask for time to speak at the meeting. And make sure you and some parents turn up. I know in our club there can often be heated AGMs over the handling of teams and the way they are going, but it all works to the benefit of the club to have everything out in the open and to highlight issues. There may be many in the club who dont know this is happening, and would be prepared to make changes if they knew the full truth.

ah... AGMs. Great things, but the long termers know that once we turn up and vent our spleen and leave then things settle nicely back to how they were once the spring comes round.

One AGM I attended was bubbling nicely along when it came to AOB and there was a big oul giving out and even talk of trying to resurrect the old rural club (which you cant to because of a central council edict but anyway).

so the chairman (local curate) gave us the old "this is so good, lots of views, lots of debate, this is what we are all here for. In the name of the father,..." get up does an our father, everyone gets up for the closing prayer, and thats the end of it. AGM over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

ah... AGMs. Great things, but the long termers know that once we turn up and vent our spleen and leave then things settle nicely back to how they were once the spring comes round.

One AGM I attended was bubbling nicely along when it came to AOB and there was a big oul giving out and even talk of trying to resurrect the old rural club (which you cant to because of a central council edict but anyway).

so the chairman (local curate) gave us the old "this is so good, lots of views, lots of debate, this is what we are all here for. In the name of the father,..." get up does an our father, everyone gets up for the closing prayer, and thats the end of it. AGM over.

sounds like the club is a mess to be honest if you have a priest as chairman saying prayers. I thought that kind of crap was long gone too out of most clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

This club sounds like something out of father ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭moycullen14

h2005 wrote: »
    This club sounds like something out of father ted.

Bit off topic but I remember hearing this one about AGMSs. Courtesy of gaaboard.com
    It involves the Ballygar-St. Brendan's hurling club in Galway where a major dispute reared it's head at the AGM. The chairman is reportedly a straight-talking bachelor of questionable diplomacy. Amidst the row, a newly appointed priest took the floor commenting on how the GAA should be a focal point for the 2 parishes, not a source of argument. He continued on about how everyone should pull together for the good of the club and see the club as a unifying force.

The chairman stood up and said: "Thanks a lot for that now Father, but that's the kind of ****e that sickens my hole."

As a non-sectarian organisation, GAA clubs should not say prayers anywhere near meetings. In fact, if you ask me, religion should not be mentioned within the club.

Yes, they can have a club mass, but attendance at that isn't mandatory and if you ask me it shouldn't be held on the club grounds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Problem goes back to the parish rule for determining club eligibility for players

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I find it hard to believe that a club threw a game in an under 12 competition. Is there any proof that he told the opposition manager he wanted to lose?

If that is the case it must be actually infringing on a law somewhere. A manager who gets knocked out of a competition on purpose at any level, let alone under 12, should never be allowed coach again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

elefant wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that a club threw a game in an under 12 competition. Is there any proof that he told the opposition manager he wanted to lose?

If that is the case it must be actually infringing on a law somewhere. A manager who gets knocked out of a competition on purpose at any level, let alone under 12, should never be allowed coach again.

I saw it in a ladies football game in my own club - loser went to the B final, winner to the A final and the harder county competition. They must have put out their worst players - I arrived ten mins into the game to be told by the umpire that the opposition had in fact kicked it into their own net at one stage. Watching the game it was completely clear they were throwing it!

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I've been involved with underage football for a number of years now as a coach and more recently sitting at the top table of our club.

Different aspects of the underage game have been a constant irritant, such as favourtism and over zealous parents etc but externally - what I've found to be the greatest unfairness to my lads in particular is the overbearing need to win at all costs in other clubs.

We're a small club, we had to merge 2 age levels into a single team to ensure that the game continues. A lot of the bigger clubs are fielding 2-3 teams in our age category. The DCB in fairness have tried to schedule games for in or around the same throw in time across all divisions, but we had occasion a few weeks ago during the midweek games, that the higher divisions had no matches.

So we arrive to an away match to be met with what was basically the starting 15 from their first team. The reason I'd know is that there were a lot of familiar faces from the Dublin Development squad trials and they also hadn't played in the reverse fixture in our place (which we'd won by 3 points).

Well the massacre duly ensued, our lads were dispirited of course - but what really struck me and felt sorry for the 9 odd replacements they had on the line. These were more than likely the players from their 2nd team who had been parked in favour of the 1st teamers.

Well I had a "frank exchange of views" with their coach as he came over to us after the match to give a condescending talk to our lads, and strangely he didn't argue about the fact that it was their 1st team, his point was they were all under the age so he was quite within his right to field them, this spoke volumes for his mindset - no Child Awareness in Sport course will rehab that mentality.

What should be done is that the players who play in the higher competitions become cup tied - or that clubs have to submit their best 15 teamsheet before the competition starts. Works well for the ladies competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

What should be done is that the players who play in the higher competitions become cup tied - or that clubs have to submit their best 15 teamsheet before the competition starts. Works well for the ladies competitions.

Yeah I completely agree, I'm gonna be contacting the DCB shortly for some direction on this. We've 3 games left and a win Saturday week will see us into the top4 playoff, the chances are we'll then have to face this lot in the semi final.

I spoke with the ref @ HT in that other game basically told him where I was coming from etc - he "thought" that if a club were fielding 3 teams in the same age group 1st team players could play with 2nd, but not the 3rd team. In fairness he saw my point, but we shrugged shoulders to one another and went back to the lions for another 30 mins of mauling :rolleyes:

Myself and my husband along with a few of the other parents heard the coach day to the other team coach that he didn't want to win this match,as he didn't want to go through to the final to play
    as they already hammered is during the league,other coach says right so well see how it goes.
    He also had a party booked and payed for for this team in the local pub for after the match.
    During the week we also got a text (not every parent got this just a few that were too disguisted to go to the party) saying.. Basically that it was better to get bet by 6 points then bet by 40 in the final

teams lose finals.
    children have to learn to lose, they cannot be protected from it
    maybe this coach has serious issues from when he was a player

• Advertisement
Advertisement