Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a decent Indian Takeaway in NCD?

Options
  • 11-07-2014 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all,

As the title asks, is there a decent Indian takeaway around?

We have tried both Indians in Rush, Skerries, New Indian Kitchen in Donabate, Indie at Home in Swords and one in Balbriggan. I found all have gone down in standards and quality over the last year or so and we are fed up getting food that is sometimes so awful that it goes straight in the bin and the fact that it's not cheap makes it more annoying.

We're in Lusk but I don't mind having to travel if it means we get a delicious and enjoyable meal so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Food Guru. We get deliveries in Portmarnock from Baldoyle, but I think there's one in Swords too. Magnificent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Bombay Bistro in Rush used to be FAB, I heard recently though that the food was not in the same league any more.

Can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bombay Bistro in Rush used to be FAB, I heard recently though that the food was not in the same league any more.

Can anyone confirm this?
    I'm afraid so. I don't use them anymore.

If I'm getting a takeaway I use Bombay House in Skerries now. I find their food is top-notch & I am fussy about my curries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

Can anyone confirm this?

We got one from there about a month ago, mine went in the bin. I just found most of the ones local to us have gone down a lot.

Have used the one in Skerries, again it was great for a while but recently the quality leaves much to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

I have been to Bombay house in skerries twice this year with friends (Easter and last month) and I've no complaints but I know it's not the healthy option with all the delicious creamy sauces etc.

Off topic (and I'm not trying to be smart) but have you tried home cooking, if I'm not busy I'll spend an hour in the evening cooking up a curry and eat it on the following two days - like stew, curries always seem to taste nicer on the second day and it sort of feels like a takeaway as you've already done all the work !

I got a gift of Rick Steins book last Xmas, it's a lovely book and for the cost of a takeaway I'd recommend you buy or borrow from the library. There are two ethnic shops in Balbriggan (station street and near Dunnes stores) which are very helpful for any odd ingredients you might need and the spices are much cheaper than tescos.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rick-Steins-India-Stein/dp/1849905789

• Advertisement

Off topic (and I'm not trying to be smart) but have you tried home cooking, if I'm not busy I'll spend an hour in the evening cooking up a curry and eat it on the following two days - like stew, curries always seem to taste nicer on the second day and it sort of feels like a takeaway as you've already done all the work !

I got a gift of Rick Steins book last Xmas, it's a lovely book and for the cost of a takeaway I'd recommend you buy or borrow from the library. There are two ethnic shops in Balbriggan (station street and near Dunnes stores) which are very helpful for any odd ingredients you might need and the spices are much cheaper than tescos.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rick-Steins-India-Stein/dp/1849905789

Oh we do lots of home cooking and have cooked our own chicken pakora, tikka masala and one or two others from scratch and they do be lovely but once a week as a treat we like to have a take out. ;) Usually varies between chinese, indian, chippers etc.

We love Indian food but it's just seems so hard to get a nice one lately. I remember there was one in Lusk a few years ago and the food was fabulous. Even Bombay Bistro in Rush was really good but the last time I got one from there, it was awful. Skerries I found has gone the same, standard is not what it used to be.

Hopefully we'll come across a really nice one again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Can anyone confirm this?

If I'm getting a takeaway I use Bombay House in Skerries now. I find their food is top-notch & I am fussy about my curries.
    We got one from there about a month ago, mine went in the bin. I just found most of the ones local to us have gone down a lot.

Have used the one in Skerries, again it was great for a while but recently the quality leaves much to be desired.

Damn, hadn't been there for a while, but I really liked going there for sit downs and the odd take away, been a good few months mind you since we were there but I would always have recommended it as a good Indian.

Just mentioned this to my wife who's Rush born and seemingly it's under new ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Another thing to consider is the day of the week you order. I've noticed that several places seem to have their B team chefs on duty early in the week, and there's a really noticeable difference with that you might get on a Friday or Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Another thing to consider is the day of the week you order. I've noticed that several places seem to have their B team chefs on duty early in the week, and there's a really noticeable difference with that you might get on a Friday or Saturday.

Head chefs need/deserve their days off too....

Not that it should make a difference, food should be the same if its the head or Sous chef cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭robbe

If you're willing to pick it up rather than have it delivered try Indie Spice Swords again - the delivery doesn't come from the restaurant rather some industrial estate or other. If you order from the restaurant directly and nip across to pick it up the food is much much nicer - I tried the delivery once and was unpleasantly surprised that they'd lent their name and reputation to big standard stuff - the restaurant is another matter but as I said it would involve getting in the car. I haven't tried Food Guru yet - something slightly offputting about somewhere that cooks Indian/Thai/Chinese etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Got a dreadful one recently from that place in Portmarnock that claims to be the bees knees. Shockingly bad . Will be home cooking in future. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭robbe

Got a dreadful one recently from that place in Portmarnock that claims to be the bees knees. Shockingly bad . Will be home cooking in future. :(

Had a 'meal' from there once and was pretty poor - that was 5/6 years ago and I haven't even considered ordering from it again! If you're really feeling flush Jaipur (Malahide) do a takeaway (not delivery) menu and the food is fantastic but expensive. Failing that as I mentioned above Indie Spice picked up from the actual restaurant in Swords is also good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I really like Food Guru in Swords. Huge menu but doesn't appear to effect quality.

Genealogy Forum Mod

robbe wrote: »
    If you're willing to pick it up rather than have it delivered try Indie Spice Swords again - the delivery doesn't come from the restaurant rather some industrial estate or other. If you order from the restaurant directly and nip across to pick it up the food is much much nicer - I tried the delivery once and was unpleasantly surprised that they'd lent their name and reputation to big standard stuff - the restaurant is another matter but as I said it would involve getting in the car. I haven't tried Food Guru yet - something slightly offputting about somewhere that cooks Indian/Thai/Chinese etc etc

Thanks! We have had a meal in the restaurant in the past and it was fabulous but the take out from the industrial estate was awful. I agree, I think the way forward would be to just drive up and get takeouts from the actual restaurant.
    pinkypinky wrote: »
    I really like Food Guru in Swords. Huge menu but doesn't appear to effect quality.

We gave the food guru a try last week....I personally wouldn't rate it. Was disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I find indie spice to be woeful stuff. Chilli shaker is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Rush is a funny place to have an indian isn't it? Reminds me of the time my colleague had to abdicate on a conference call due to post phall issues

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

cloud493 wrote: »
    ... Chilli shaker is amazing.

Seconded, been going there years and love it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Seconded, been going there years and love it.

I've been there once, and tried Indie at home last night.

It's back to Chilli Shaker for me tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Cinnamon Gardens in Ashbourne is pretty good.

Sadly, I have to say that we got a takeaway from Bombay House on Monday & it was not good. The curry dishes honestly looked & tasted as if the two sauces came straight from a jar. The quality of the meat in my "Chef's Speciality" Tandoori dish was also far from the usual standard. I was very disappointed.

With Bombay Bistro, & now Bombay House off the list, & the Indian in Balbriggan being mediocre IMHO, I'll have to settle for cooking my own from now on. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

There's an new Indian takeway in Applewood Swords. Looks good from the outside but I haven't actually tried the food yet;

http://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-shagunartofspice/menu

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ah, that's a real shame about The Bombay Bistro in Rush...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I would say try Rasoi in Rush again, I've always loved the food from there! It's been my go to since Bombay Bistro went downhill...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Tried Shagun Art of Spice in Applewood Village this evening.
    I have to say I thought it was very good & so did my wife who being a chef herself can be very fussy. Definitely better than the last few takeaways I've got from Indie Spice. You can see them cooking the food there in front of you which is always a good thing & the place is very clean.

Nice to know. I am surprised. TBH, after seeing the menu I didn't think that the food would be of a quality that I would be happy with. Based on your review I'd give it a go. Ta!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

PWEI wrote: »
    Tried Shagun Art of Spice in Applewood Village this evening.
    I have to say I thought it was very good & so did my wife who being a chef herself can be very fussy. Definitely better than the last few takeaways I've got from Indie Spice. You can see them cooking the food there in front of you which is always a good thing & the place is very clean.

I'll second that , tried it twice since it opened and its been very good both times .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

I would say try Rasoi in Rush again, I've always loved the food from there! It's been my go to since Bombay Bistro went downhill...

When Bombay Bistro went downhill, we didn't really bother with Indian takeaways unless we were near Portmarnock or Beaumount and got an India Link. Decided to take a chance on Rasoi and was delighted we did.
    It was without doubt the best Indian I had since Jamuna in Drumcondra. The food was piping hot and decent size portions. The meat and sauces were fresh, tasty and plentiful. Will definitely be ordering from them again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sharkman wrote: »
    I'll second that , tried it twice since it opened and its been very good both times .

we tried it at the weekend (Oh and his son) and they both enjoyed it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

When Bombay Bistro went downhill, we didn't really bother with Indian takeaways unless we were near Portmarnock or Beaumount and got an India Link. Decided to take a chance on Rasoi and was delighted we did.
    It was without doubt the best Indian I had since Jamuna in Drumcondra. The food was piping hot and decent size portions. The meat and sauces were fresh, tasty and plentiful. Will definitely be ordering from them again

Very glad you enjoyed it! I love that place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

....Decided to take a chance on Rasoi and was delighted we did.
    It was without doubt the best Indian I had since....

Is that the place at the junction with Skerries Road in Rush ?

Was there a few times with friends from Rush when it was called, I think, "Pure"?

Advertisement