Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a decent Indian Takeaway in NCD?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

PWEI wrote: »
    Tried Shagun Art of Spice in Applewood Village this evening.
    I have to say I thought it was very good & so did my wife who being a chef herself can be very fussy. Definitely better than the last few takeaways I've got from Indie Spice. You can see them cooking the food there in front of you which is always a good thing & the place is very clean.

Gave it a go last night. I got the tikka masala and it was very tasty but it was fairly spicy too. Chicken was melt in the mouth! Himself got the rogan josh, he said it was nice but thought my dish was nicer! Portions were a good size with lots of chicken in mine but himself didn't get as much meat in his dish. Perhaps a little oversight on the restaurants part?

Overall it's definitely an improvement on previous meals we've had from other places. I was happy enough.

The Chilli Shaker is next on my list to try out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Is that the place at the junction with Skerries Road in Rush ?

Was there a few times with friends from Rush when it was called, I think, "Pure"?

Yep. Don't know if it changed owners when they changed their name but I don't care, decent food is decent food :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Got a dreadful one recently from that place in Portmarnock that claims to be the bees knees. Shockingly bad . Will be home cooking in future. :(
    robbe wrote: »
    Had a 'meal' from there once and was pretty poor ..
    I work with a lot of native Indians and they claim that the only decent Indian Takeaway in NCD is the one in Portmarnock!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I work with a lot of native Indians and they claim that the only decent Indian Takeaway in NCD is the one in Portmarnock!

Which one is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Which one is that?
    I don't know. Is there more than one?

• Advertisement

Just wondering what the name was so I could look it up. Never mind. I'm sure I'll find it. Found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Just wondering what the name was so I could look it up. Never mind. I'm sure I'll find it. Found it.

Might you share the name good sir :)

India Link. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

Rasoi in Rush is a must. Eaten there several times and have had take away from it too. I was there on Saturday evening with the family and it was smashing. Haven't eaten in the Bombay House in years because I wasn't happy with the quality of the hot curries. That's the Rush vote. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Sadly, I have to say that we got a takeaway from Bombay House on Monday & it was not good. The curry dishes honestly looked & tasted as if the two sauces came straight from a jar. The quality of the meat in my "Chef's Speciality" Tandoori dish was also far from the usual standard. I was very disappointed.

With Bombay Bistro, & now Bombay House off the list, & the Indian in Balbriggan being mediocre IMHO, I'll have to settle for cooking my own from now on. :(

I'd put it down to a one off HB. We eat here, either sit down or take away probably once a week and have never been disappointed. Service can be a bit hit a miss but that doesnt bother me, its the food Im going for. The take away we got last week was the best we've had yet, last Weds night and the place was packed to the rafters too. Think we are due our weekly indian tonight!!

• Advertisement

Paul - We've had sit-downs & take-aways & have been delighted with the food, but the last take-away was appalling. I'd go for a sit-down again to be sure, to be sure. They were always top-notch. But I would also take the opportunity to tell them how dire that delivery was.

The one in upper main street Rush seems to have changed hands again and is now called Indie Kitchen. Himself persuaded me to give it a go last Friday and I'm pleased to report it was delicious. :) On the down side, the portion size for the rice was on the small side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had takeaway from Indie Spice - the restaurant - on Sunday and it was amazing :)

The eat-in Sunday special is really great value at Indie Spice. We go there often as a treat with the kids after an afternoon movie in the Pavillions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

The Indie Express takeaway meal is also *fantastic* value:

"Pyazu, chicken tikka, chicken tikka masala, lamb rogan josh, Bombay Aloo, 2 x pilau rice, naan, 2 bottles of Beer 330ml". Not mentioned on the site but always included is popadoms, dipping sauce and little bowl of salad.

We always have enough leftover for another full dinner the next day out of it.

God, I love Indie Spice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The one in upper main street Rush seems to have changed hands again and is now called Indie Kitchen. Himself persuaded me to give it a go last Friday and I'm pleased to report it was delicious. :) On the down side, the portion size for the rice was on the small side.

I might give it a try tonight, I had 2 takeaways when it was Rasoi, and enjoyed them. Is there much of a difference?

I might give it a try tonight, I had 2 takeaways when it was Rasoi, and enjoyed them. Is there much of a difference?

Much better now. :) Do report back about the portion sizes. I'm hoping our small rice portions were an oversight on the restaurants part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tikiwee

I have to attest to the Indian in applewood, shagun art of spice. It is as good, if not better than chilli shaker. The Indian is top quality, they have lovely burgers too, much nicer than the chipper in applewood, which by the way, are much better than other choppers in swords, BUT, best if all, shagun have the best kebabs. Shish kebabs to rival zatoons. It is of the very best quality. Do your taste buds a favour and try it!! You'll find it cheaper than chilli shaker too and they have just real eased specials like curry, chips and rice for €6 or €6.50?? Can't remember. My only fault with them is that their chips aren't great. Not like a good chipper chip, they'd be frozen chips but when you're looking for a great Indian, or an excellent kebab, choose shagun!! (I have no affiliation other than being local and lovi ng the food!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Got an Indian from the New Moti Mahal in Balbriggan last night, wouldn't be an expert on Indian food but I thought it was pretty good!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Got an Indian from the New Moti Mahal in Balbriggan last night, wouldn't be an expert on Indian food but I thought it was pretty good!

Didn't know they had changed hands, liked (but not loved) the last incarnation.
    Was spoiled by Indians in NI and around Birmingham in the past.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

This is the Indian I takeaway from once a week. Again I wouldn't be an expert on Indian food but it has never let me down. Another positive is they deliver over the North County Dublin border to Meath for a very reasonable €4.

I tend to order Chicken Balti and either Chicken Jalfrezi or Chicken Chilli Masala (I love hot, spicy food) and they are usually gorgeous. I can't comment on the milder type dishes.

As an aside I don't usually bother with the starters - expensive enough for the portion size IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Pipmae wrote: »
    This is the Indian I takeaway from once a week. Again I wouldn't be an expert on Indian food but it has never let me down. Another positive is they deliver over the North County Dublin border to Meath for a very reasonable €4.

I tend to order Chicken Balti and either Chicken Jalfrezi or Chicken Chilli Masala (I love hot, spicy food) and they are usually gorgeous. I can't comment on the milder type dishes.

As an aside I don't usually bother with the starters - expensive enough for the portion size IMO.

This is interesting as I haven't ordered from here I a couple of years after a few awful takeaways. Over - oiley sauce and little, tough meat. The thoughts of it even being decent again is quite exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Jimdagym wrote: »
    This is interesting as I haven't ordered from here I a couple of years after a few awful takeaways. Over - oiley sauce and little, tough meat. The thoughts of it even being decent again is quite exciting!
    :eek: I'm feeling the pressure now. Hope they come up trumps for you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Pipmae wrote: »
    :eek: I'm feeling the pressure now. Hope they come up trumps for you. :D

Top shelf!

Had a fantastic lamb madras last night from here. Was really a fantastic meal. OH had a lamb Bhuna which was very tasty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cloghran

Nice new Indian takeaway in Applewood village called Shagun. Just across the way from the pub.

Advertisement