Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poles in carry-on

Options
  • 11-07-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Might belong more in the travel section, but I'm hoping some people here have first hand experience. I'm going to Scotland in a few weeks, and going to pick up some hiking poles while I'm over there. However, I tend to one-bag my travel as much as possible these days, meaning no check-in. Am I going to have problems bringing the poles back through with me? Is there any way to ensure they won't set of alarm bells, literal or figurative, for example, if I get ones that fold into 3 rather than compress into themselves?

My poles will hopefully be a regular packing item on my next few trips, so it'd be handy to get it right first time. I'm getting conflicting info online, and I suspect it's all down to the airport you're in, the security guy you get and the day he's having.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

corblimey wrote: »
    Might belong more in the travel section, but I'm hoping some people here have first hand experience. I'm going to Scotland in a few weeks, and going to pick up some hiking poles while I'm over there. However, I tend to one-bag my travel as much as possible these days, meaning no check-in. Am I going to have problems bringing the poles back through with me? Is there any way to ensure they won't set of alarm bells, literal or figurative, for example, if I get ones that fold into 3 rather than compress into themselves?

My poles will hopefully be a regular packing item on my next few trips, so it'd be handy to get it right first time. I'm getting conflicting info online, and I suspect it's all down to the airport you're in, the security guy you get and the day he's having.

daa sent this to me when I asked them

Thank you for your enquiry. I have checked with the Security Screening Department and they have confirmed that hiking poles are permitted through security screening.

Kind regards,
    Miriam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Might want to check the daa equivalent on the other end. The guys in prestwick took a pot of my grannies jam off me once....

Advertisement