Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WORLD CUP FINAL!! Germany v Argentina 8pm Sunday 13th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Hopefully it won't be anything like the final of 1990 which was an appalling game of football.

And check out the mullets and moustaches in that West German side. Yikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I think Germany. Really hope Argentina do it tho, so the argument of "Messi has to do it in a WC" can end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I think Germany. Really hope Argentina do it tho, so the argument of "Messi has to do it in a WC" can end

I hope Messi has a 'mare just to spite all those people slobbering all over him for so many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Getting them to a final isn't enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I know who I'll be cheering for - yeah, I know sports should rise above politics - but sometimes it or I just can't or perhaps the wounds are just too raw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I'm traditionally an Argentina supporter in all World Cups, but I'm not impressed with this side and hope Germany will beat them, because they deserve it a lot more.

I'm also a big Messi fan, but hope if Argentina do win that people won't compare Messi's contribution to Maradona 86, because it's not even close.

I hope Messi has a 'mare just to spite all those people slobbering all over him for so many years.

slobbering? Yeh you're right.. I'm.wrong to want my favorite footballer to win the WC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I think Argentina will win this one, I would bet on them strongly if I was a betting man.

THFC wrote: »

For me it is. I think he has had a great tournament

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

This is the final I ended up with in the Guardian's wallchart predictor thing before the tournament, hopefully now follows the same scoreline and winner in the final..

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭HenrysLeftHand

8pm, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

THFC wrote: »

That's the crazy thing but in many peoples minds, no it isn't. It's regularly brought up when comparing him to Maradona and to a lesser extent, Pele.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya its 8pm.

Could a mod change so that I wont get blame for people missing first half ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I imagine it will be an awful match with few opportunities and fewer risks. An extra time goal from Schuerlle to decide it as a promising world cup peters out into an inevitable dour caricature of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I hope Germany win but won't be disappointed to see Messi lift the trophy either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Islas Malvinas. Come on Argentina. Hope Di Maria is fit but I hear its only an outside chance. And they did fine without him against Holland, though perhaps will be needed for attacking Germany.

Heart Argentina, Head Germany (they with the xtra days rest on that same of the draw like Brazil etc) !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Easy win for Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

vicwatson wrote: »
    Islas Malvinas. Come on Argentina. Hope Di Maria is fit but I hear its only an outside chance. And they did fine without him against Holland, though perhaps will be needed for attacking Germany.

Heart Argentina, Head Germany (they with the xtra days rest on that same of the draw like Brazil etc) !!!

WTF :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Its a win win situation for me. As finals go this has a lot of potential.

Germany have the best midfield line up in the tournament,could watch them play all day ,they're passing and movement is a joy. Add the jaw dropping moments of brilliance from Messi and hopefully another world class performance from Mascherano.

So hopefully it will be a cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

It will be tight with Argentina nicking it. Not a classic by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

A fully fit Aguero really could damage the high line the Germans play.

Germans have looked equally great and poor in various matches this tournament. Fantastic midfield , perhaps the best in the tournament, one of the best keepers, although a little eccentric with his decision making at times and Muller has had a very impressive tournament. They don't look so solid at the back, the high line is there to be easily exploited if the opposition have the right players. Having said that they look a lot more solid when Hummels plays.

Argentina have been underwhelming the whole tournament. Very functional and solid as a unit without being spectacular but very hard to beat. Di Maria and Messi have shone at times without either taking the tournament by storm. Mascherano has probably been their most impressive player and had a spectacular game in the semi final.

Probably closed than most think, if Aguero had a run of games under his belt and Di Maria was fully fit I think I would edge it to Argentina, despite Germany having better players.

I think the Germans will win it, will find a way through the Argentina defensive unit which will have left a bit behind on the pitch after the semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Germany rather comfortably I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

adox wrote: »

They don't look so solid at the back, the high line is there to be easily exploited if the opposition have the right players. Having said that they look a lot more solid when Hummels plays.

A

The high line is only really in place when Mertesacker is playing, no? With Hummels they play deeper and Neuer doesn't have to play sweeper as much.

It's got to be a German win. An extra 24 hours rest following their training exercise vs Brazil, while Messi & Co had a stern 120 minutes.

Actually, just reading there that Hummels said that at half time during the Brazil game, the team agreed to ease off and take it easy as they didn't want to humiliate them anymore. And they still 'won' the 2nd half 2-1. Ouch! Some dig.

If Germany do similar against Argentina and race into an unasailable lead, I hope they drive it home and break all sorts of records. Can't see it happening though, with the form Mascherano is in. Hopefully it's a high scoring, close game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Both teams deserve to be there but can't help but think what a spectacle it could be if Argentina's attacking talent was fully fit. Could throw Reus in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Loew promised the cup in an interview and I'm not going to question him.
    Come on Germany!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

How very Irish of you.

Begrudgery much ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Argentina will win it. Germany shot their load v Brazil. It will be a close run match but I think Argentina have what it takes to come out on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

10517494_10204107897038975_3482475703975919455_n.jpg
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Germany for me.
    Sum of their parts > Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

I hope Germany win but won't be disappointed to see Messi lift the trophy either

Kinda the opposite from me. Would like Argentina, mainly for Messi, but if the Germans were to do it you honestly couldn't begrudge them the trophy, as they've probably been the most impressive team overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I dont mind who wins it. Germany and Argentina are 2 of my favourite countries along with Italy so i dont mind too much, but would rather Germany, but if Messi lifts trophy I be happy for him.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Wouldn't surprise me to see Germany choke, but I'll go with Hummels to score in a 1-0 win.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Germany for me. Far more interesting to watch and just have quality in every single area. Argentina haven't impressed me at all, surprised they made it this far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Germany to win in a match with more than five goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

So if Messi plays a blinder a wins it for Argentina then the only major football honour he hasn't done is beat Stoke in January!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Dont really mind who wins here. Thought Argentina all along so gonna stick with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

any idea where best to watch in dublin? apart from the usual sports bars…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I've said Germany would win since before the qualifying campaign began and I haven't changed my mind. I'm expecting them to win 2-0 in an anti climatic final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Germany to win by 2 goals

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Germany to win it for the first time.

Tonight's drinking game - Knock back a shot every time George Hamilton mentions Messi's name off the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Im usually one with go with my head but my heart is telling me Argentina might just nick this tonite and im leaning towards them. Either way you would imagine this will be tight and i'd say it will go all the way. I'll say 1-1 with the Argies winning the shoot out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I think germany have never lost aw.c peno shootout, think they have only missed one peno ever in competition and have neuer in goal... so much for this "lottery" talk. Germans beat them 4-0 in 2010 world cup. I strongly fancy Germany, could run riot of they go one up early, its not like they wil have another match to worry about..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Feel for Messi going into this one. The weight of expectation on his shoulders must be massive. As good a he is, I don't think it will be enough.

Gemany to win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lapin wrote: »
    Germany to win it for the first time.

Scratch that.

I've changed my mind.

This lot to shade it by 10 goals against Portugal this evening's World Cup Final.

Obviously :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Any stories coming out of Messi being sick and not playing, then playing again, not playing , before walking out with the team come kick off?

Or other such shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Argentina for me. The nature of the German victory against Brazil may actually work against Germany.

Plus an Argentina win in the Maracana would be insufferable for Brazil....so an Argentina win would be fine with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

World cup!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Aguero was pretty atrocious when he came on v holland, i wouldnt be harbouring much hope of him making an impact of he comes on today. Think germany will win myself, same side as last time youd imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Want Argentina to win.
    Predict Germany to win.

I don't think they'll Brazil them though.
    Argentina will have studied that game.

Germany 2-1 Argentina :

• Advertisement
Advertisement