Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WORLD CUP FINAL!! Germany v Argentina 8pm Sunday 13th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Imagine how happy the Kramer lad will be once he comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Sad to see Bill go. The presenter's chair will look very empty from now on...and the replacements don't look very good.

If we're stuck with Darragh Maloney or Peter Collins then I'm off to ITV:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

murpho999 wrote: »
    World cup over.

Bored already.

A women just walk in there took me a while to recognise her but it was actually my wife.

Post of the tournament contender right there! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

i am now unhappy and sad that the World cup has ended.

What a brilliant tournament and probably the best World cup i have seen in my life so far.

How old are you?

Its probably the best of the last three in my opinion....but the world cup seems to have a problem in that the knock out stages are too predictable and dull.

To my mind, I really cant think of a single upset in the round of 16, quarterfinals, semi finals or finals, or indeed the 3rd/4th play off. That is not good.

The only arguable upset across those 16 matches was Argentina beating Holland in the semi, but that's because Van Persie was injured rather than Argentina playing well imho.

I would rate the '98 and '02 tournaments ahead of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Meanwhile in other news -

North Korea 17 - Portugal 0.

Full Time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

efb wrote: »
    Are they showing alf now???

You are Alf.

Tombo2001 wrote: »

France 98 wins on overall quality. The 1/4 finals stages of this one were nothing to write home about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

image.jpg

will join up soon, great World Cup, sad panda seeing bill leave, love Alf, must post before I turn into a gremlin at midnight!

Alf quote "now the people in PETA don't like it when I say I like to eat cats, but I gotta be honest here! I LOVE cats on PITTA! :D

Auf wiedersehen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,645 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Delighted Germany won, #wunderbar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

keith16 wrote: »
    You are Alf.

cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

It's sad that there had to be a losing side tonight. Well done to Germany, and hard luck Argentina. I just knew if would be a 1 goal final. After the thrashing that Germany gave the dire Brasil team, it was on the cards for Germany to win.

Anyone else think this German team is just as good as the Spain team that won 4 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Anyone else think this German team is just as good as the Spain team that won 4 years ago?

If Marco Reus, arguably Germany's best player was there and did his stuff I think I'd agree to an extent...he was badly missed at times during the tournament. But Spain 2010 were incredible, Germany are still a team in development, kinda like Spain '08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Certainly Germany were better to watch imho, but they probably don't have that same 'aura' of dominance about them that Spain did. Up until the wheels started falling off the tiki-taka machine it almost felt like Spain just had to turn up to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Not in the same league. That Spanish team was special, this German team is just a very good team.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

That Spanish team were boring and totally unworthy in my eyes, Argentina tonight were the same totally defensive and not attack minded. I'm glad to see Argentina beaten because of this negative block em out and wait for a change approach when they should have swarmed up and attacked like mad until they produced something. To be honest its the Dutch I feel sorry for as they should have won in 2010 and again this year.

Spain controlled that match quite a bit more than the Germans did tonight.

And if the Argentinians had taken at least one of those gilt edged chances......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

World Champions!!!

Stinicker wrote: »
    To be honest its the Dutch I feel sorry for as they should have won in 2010 and again this year.

Huh?

• Advertisement

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Not in the same league. That Spanish team was special, this German team is just a very good team.

Holland could easily have won the last final with an inferior team to what they had this time round.

Spain won the final in extra time 1-0, they won the semi-final, quarter final and 1/16 games all by 1-0.....and they only scored in the last five minutes in the quarter final against Paraguay, and in the final against Holland.

They only won one game by more than a single goal in the entire tournament.

In contrast, in this world cup, Germany hammered Portugal, they hammered Brazil, they beat strong Argentine and French teams.....

Spain controlled that match quite a bit more than the Germans did tonight.

And if the Argentinians had taken at least one of those gilt edged chances......

Robben had incredible chance to score in extra time that would have given Holland the lead....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

You do realise that no German would ever say that?

some would, and why not…that anthem and its lyrics were written in the 19th century…

10482588_10152258564487887_1465562828793960655_n.jpg

Ozil, World Cup Winner 2014

Robben had incredible chance to score in extra time that would have given Holland the lead....

And Argentina had three of their own tonight. Also the small matter of winning two European crowns either side of that World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Holland could easily have won the last final with an inferior team to what they had this time round.

Spain won the final in extra time 1-0, they won the semi-final, quarter final and 1/16 games all by 1-0.....and they only scored in the last five minutes in the quarter final against Paraguay, and in the final against Holland.

They only won one game by more than a single goal in the entire tournament.

In contrast, in this world cup, Germany hammered Portugal, they hammered Brazil, they beat strong Argentine and French teams.....

That Spanish team was revolutionary and while those games were 1-0 wins in general they were exceptionally comfortable 1-0 wins. This Is a good team but they're not special like the Spanish were IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BsdYSn9CIAAS5Rc.jpg

Definite Caption Competion potential here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

How old are you?

Its probably the best of the last three in my opinion....but the world cup seems to have a problem in that the knock out stages are too predictable and dull.

To my mind, I really cant think of a single upset in the round of 16, quarterfinals, semi finals or finals, or indeed the 3rd/4th play off. That is not good.

The only arguable upset across those 16 matches was Argentina beating Holland in the semi, but that's because Van Persie was injured rather than Argentina playing well imho.

What also made it a great WC (for me anyway) was that all the games were on in the evening so I didn't have to miss much (bar the first 30 mins or so of the 5pm kick-off or struggling to stay awake for the late game :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hope Christoph Kramer is ok.
    https://twitter.com/chronicleherald/status/488453272970465280/photo/1

Marco Reus is so unfortunate, sure he is delighted while being disappointed he missed out.

Three world cups in a row for EU countries, first time ever one continent has won three in a row.

Congrats to Germany.

Skid X wrote: »
    Hard to believe its 24 years since (West) Germany won it last.

It's always hard to follow up a goalfest with another good performance, but I think they will have the edge tonight. They've played consistently well this year. Germany to win their first title, 3-1.

are you trying to provoke germans around here or are you just plain ignorant? you really need to come off that “west” nonsense. you realise that east germany joined the west in 90, right? it’s not a different nation now, not even a different state. also, it is the dfb (not the state) that won all four german world cups and three european titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

BsdYSn9CIAAS5Rc.jpg

Schweiny with a beer in one hand and the World Cup trophy in the other. Legend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

RobertKK wrote: »
    Hope Christoph Kramer is ok.
    https://twitter.com/chronicleherald/status/488453272970465280/photo/1

Marco Reus is so unfortunate, sure he is delighted while being disappointed he missed out.

Three world cups in a row for EU countries, first time ever one continent has won three in a row.

Congrats to Germany.

And 5 of the last 6 finalists have been European.

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    some would, and why not…that anthem and its lyrics were written in the 19th century…

They only sing the 3rd verse now and it is definitely associated with the Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The good thing about Angela Merkel is she attends as many German games as possible, so she isn't like some politicians who turns up for the big games only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

BsdYSn9CIAAS5Rc.jpg

bukkake tsunami

They only sing the 3rd verse now and it is definitely associated with the Nazis.

it has been “associated with the nazis” by post-war brainwash, nothing else…but you are right, the official anthem is the 3rd verse only…

BsdLIHZCUAEAMXI.jpg

BsdLIHZCUAEAMXI.jpg

nice

Platini asks Özil for his jersey

314484.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sandraevra

Well done Germany, but Ozil was much most of the tournament.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Sandraevra wrote: »
    Well done Germany, but Ozil was much most of the tournament.

Much most what? :confused:

F1ngers wrote: »

much improved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'm of the opinion that Messi and Ronaldo are the best of all time already but he was poor when it mattered this WC by his standards and think he's slowed down a lot the last 2 years. I'm happy Argentina didn't win the WC, people saying every team they played were out to stop them, they scored 1 regular time goal in the KO stages and that was in the latter stages. Disgraceful imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Between the world cup ending and Bill gone it's fcuking depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

a fantastic day.

well done Germany.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    much improved

Ozil was rubbish most of the world cup.

A few flicks here and there don't count for sh7te.

Ok, he's a world cup winner.

But he was rubbish throught the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So what in fact made him rubbish , you know now that you've made that sweeping statement you might aswell back it up ?

Sandraevra wrote: »
    Ozil was rubbish most of the world cup.

A few flicks here and there don't count for sh7te.

Ok, he's a world cup winner.

But he was rubbish throught the world cup.

Löw knows something you clearly don't.

Much most Rubbish of a great Germany team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement