Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog just drank my beer

• 12-07-2014 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

Went out to the shed to do a bit of work on my bike. A half hour later I realized I had a glass of beer on the floor beside my sofa. I went back in to get it.

The little fecker spilled it over and finished the lot. Around half a pint.

She is only a small dog. Yorkshire terrier . Jack russell sized.

She seems ok, but is a little drunk.

Should I be worried. Does alcohol harm them other than the normal side effects of being tipsy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'd say she would be ok with a small enough amount like that.

When my Retriever was only a couple of months he polished off almost a full pint of Smithwicks. You would have known something was wrong with him but he drank plenty of water. Animals have more sense than us.

Just give her plenty of water. She should be fine. In my unprofessional opinion of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Should I be worried.

In the diluted quantity she's had, probably not, but it all depends how your dogs liver and kidneys are functioning.

wrote:
    Does alcohol harm them other than the normal side effects of being tipsy?
    Absolutely.
    wrote:
    Alcohol toxicosis results in metabolic acidosis, hypothermia, and CNS depression. All species are susceptible

If she is still not right in the next few hours, please contact your local vet or sooner if worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I have been keeping an eye on her. She is grand. Sleeping it off.

There is no Ethanol, methanol, or isopropanol in what she drank. I brew my own beer from grain. Only thing added is hops, grain
    and water.

She loves beer by the looks of it. Will have to keep an eye on her in future.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

One of my dogs had some accidently before also.
    She had terrible nightmares that night, she kept waking up barking and running to the front door to get the mystery "intruder". Thankfully that was the only side effect.
    However, she's now developed a taste for it and we've to be careful with any drink in the house :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I had a retriever who was a hoor for Guinness. Would nearly leap up on the table if you werent looking.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement