Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farewell Bill O'Herlihy

• 12-07-2014 2:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to believe Bill O'Herlihy has only one more game in the big chair before he departs RTE.

For as long as I've been watching football he has been a constant presence. And no-one was better at stirring it up and inducing many memorable arguments between the panellists. It won't be the same without Bill. We'll leave it there, so.

000938a2-960.jpg

http://www.rte.ie/sport/galleries/2014/0711/630176-gallery-well-leave-it-there-so/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Cheers Bill, "Okie Doke".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He has been there for my whole lifetime watching big events. Its hard to believe he is still going and still looks so well. He was a great sports presenter for years upon years and then re-invented himself as a wind-up merchant with Dunphy and Giles and co.

Great man and he will be missed, I don't think anybody could stir up things like he did in the studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Loive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

And bluffed his way for the best part off "it must be said" . Hopefuly RTE will now also bin the boring panel that seems to have been with us since time began.
    And not Darragh Maloney either PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Finally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Japanese referees will be happy to see the back of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He's off to be the Irish ambassador in Honduras by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Massive loss. It would be like soccer Saturday losing Jeff stelling. Just won't be as good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And bluffed his way for the best part off "it must be said" . Hopefuly RTE will now also bin the boring panel that seems to have been with us since time began.
    And not Darragh Maloney either PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE!!

Bin dunphy and them? They are brilliant far better than the choir boys and yes men itv and BBC hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

A genuine loss. We'll leave it there so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

I'll miss Bill, he was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

"John, you were making the point off air"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

'Ah now, Eamon you can't be saying things like that'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

He has been excellent but father time has caught up with Bill , Dumbty and even Giles.

There does not seem to be too much talent in the pipeline.

I like Kenny Cunningham and I am sure given the opportunity new talent will come forth.

Is it that difficult of a job ? ? ? ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

He was a great statician.

On David Moyes
    'He has seen a total of 39,432 players over a total of 5 million times!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

blinding wrote: »
    He has been excellent but father time has caught up with Bill , Dumbty and even Giles.

There does not seem to be too much talent in the pipeline.

I like Kenny Cunningham and I am sure given the opportunity new talent will come forth.

I like Cunningham too but he's eyebrow twitching drives me up the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Might have gotten the tags wrong but IMO this sums Billo up perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Bill will be a massive loss. Darragh is so much more of a presenter. Doesn't look like he has much interest in football. The conversation doesn't flow as well without bill. He'll be missed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

blinding wrote: »

I'd say it's the quality of Bill that makes it look so easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

He has almost zero knowledge of football; he's a pimp for the tobacco industry; he's a promoter and beneficiary of gombeen politics. He shouldn't even have that job in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

sabat wrote: »
    He has almost zero knowledge of football; he's a pimp for the tobacco industry; he's a promoter and beneficiary of gombeen politics. He shouldn't even have that job in the first place.

How on earth did you come to that conclusion? He has been presenting a football show for over 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

ahhhh man , im gonna miss the oul bollox :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Who?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

He was a good presenter and had a very likeable personality on air but his work in PR leaves a lot to be desired from a moralistic point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He was a good presenter and had a very likeable personality on air but his work in PR leaves a lot to be desired from a moralistic point of view.

To go all Gordon Strachan on this part. A football fan pointing the moral finger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

RTE 2 have a repeat of a docu on him at 7.00pm tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone remember his fit of the giggles live on air back in mexico 86?? :pac:

it was a late night match and he burst out laughing and the whole panel joined in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

How on earth did you come to that conclusion? He has been presenting a football show for over 30 years.
    It is true, he is has been a good presenter (though time as caught up with him in the last few years) but he is a long, long, long way from being any kind of expert on the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The end of an era, top Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Who?:confused:

Dunphy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I see people think Darragh Moloney will get the gig when Bill goes. I thought Eoin McDevitt would be a shoe in for the number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I have to say I agree. On the other hand I work for a company which exports to Israel. Now nobody in my company seems to care but I do especially seeing the pictures on the TV screens at the moment.

Its not a great paying job but its hard to find other work but it does gnaw at my conscience a lot. However, in my defense I do think old Bill had a lot more control and influence over his career than I do over mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lads,
    He won't be going far.
    Gaybo "retired" over a decade ago and is still ever present on the aul telly.
    Bill is of the same type of person Id reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Lennonist wrote: »
    I see people think Darragh Moloney will get the gig when Bill goes. I thought Eoin McDevitt would be a shoe in for the number.

If he had any chance, he would have been tried out in the World Cup. There's no way he's going to be parachuted in never having anchored a live game. It'll be Darragh Moloney's gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

joe316 wrote: »

Might have gotten the tags wrong but IMO this sums Billo up perfectly

It was almost like watching Alan Partridge at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

One thing rte have got right over the years is bill, dunphy and giles. He will be missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

rob316 wrote: »
    Bin dunphy and them? They are brilliant far better than the choir boys and yes men itv and BBC hire.

I would have agreed, but this world cup was one tournament too far. Maybe it was the frequent games, so it was even more obvious they were just repeating themselves, but I'd be happen to see the end of them.
    I've been one of their biggest fans over the years too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Four more years!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

smilerf wrote: »
    I like Cunningham too but he's eyebrow twitching drives me up the wall

I don't think anyone wants him at this particular moment in time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Lennonist wrote: »

Darragh Moloney is the replacement, Bill has said so himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Skid X wrote: »
    If he had any chance, he would have been tried out in the World Cup. There's no way he's going to be parachuted in never having anchored a live game. It'll be Darragh Moloney's gig.

Moloney's ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Humpty Dunphy, Bill, Giles and the other fella can't think of his name right now look as if they all broke out of some old folks home last time I saw them on tv :eek:

Anyone remember Giles old saying "grand job 100%" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

***even money***

on Dunphy getting teary eyed:( and emotional at Bill's departure

you mark my words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Darragh Moloney is the replacement, Bill has said so himself.

Yeah, Bill said it again talking to Marian Finucane today. Big shoes to fill.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20615720%3A70%3A13%2D07%2D2014%3A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Billo: “We’ll draw the winners out of a hat a little later in the programme.”
    Gilesy (Rare moment of Frivolity): “A top hat, Bill?”
    Billo (quick as you like): “Yes, a top hat, John. We got it out of your wardrobe.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I like Maloney!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

I can understand Bill retiring from broadcasting, but could he not do podcast out of his home on the occasion of certain big matches? He could do it in his dressing gown, feet up, bottle of sparkling wine on ice, etc. Put on the occasional ad break and put it up for free on iTunes etc. I doubt he'd be stuck for a pundit or two to join him. Maybe he could even reunite with Giles or Dunphy, if they haven't all succumbed to senility by that time.

Think ill have a lump in my throat when Bill signs off tonight. All ive known is Bill being the main man on the RTE coverage since i started watching it as a kid. No one can draw out a panel like him. He has unbelievable presence on the screen. A huge huge loss to RTE and when you look at the like of DLB/Tubs getting the LLS gig, one would have to wonder if Bill was under utilised within RTE. Extremely knowledgeable man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

What are the odds on Eamon breaking down crying?

• Advertisement
Advertisement