Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farewell Bill O'Herlihy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Grumpy old bollix here but never a fan of him, so obviously not bothered in the slightest that he's gone.

vidor wrote: »
    Grumpy old bollix here but never a fan of him, so obviously not bothered in the slightest that he's gone.

Aye. Fair enough

A more emotional experience for me than I thought it was going to be, farewell Bill and thank you, you living legend.

^^^That photo of him gathering his notes for the last time, ah jaysus:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

vidor wrote: »

Why do you think anyone in a 'Farewell Bill O'Herlihy' thread would give a **** about the thoughts of someone who isn't 'bothered in the slightest' that he's gone? There's obviously going to be people who don't like him for one reason or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Big big loss. Not ashamed to admit I've always been just an armchair football fan, and one who stuck with RTE where possible. So for me, Bill and the lads are almost as integral to the game as the football and goalposts!
    Bill seemed to be similar to Dunphy in that he liked to discuss the bigger picture and philosophize about the game. On countless occasions he sparked an interesting post match debate which was often more entertaining than the actual game that preceded it.
    The panel will be a lot less compelling in his absence. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Both Bill and Alan Hansen gone in the same night.

Two legends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Very sad to see him go, he's very entertaining. It won't be the same without him. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sandraevra

“Up until then people might have been watching the BBC or ITV to a greater extent.”

Bill you pure legend, Italtia 90 to here, Enjoy your retirement.

IrishIrish wrote: »
    Why do you think anyone in a 'Farewell Bill O'Herlihy' thread would give a **** about the thoughts of someone who isn't 'bothered in the slightest' that he's gone? There's obviously going to be people who don't like him for one reason or another.

As the man himself said to Dunphy the night of the Roy Keane/ Rod Liddle saga back in 2005, (Dunphy 'went off on one' after Bill read an article referring to Keano as a thug by Rod Liddle)

"Im just trying to show you there is an alternative view"

:D

Tinie wrote: »

Two legends.

Wont miss him i have to say. Insufferable isnt the word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

One of the best and we won't see his like again. Met him a few times at different sports functions down through the years and a pure gentleman he was. Just a down to earth guy that loved his sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Watched the game in a pub tonight. Bill's bit at the end got a standing ovation. Was very nice, very emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Abroad at the minute so I have been watching foreign coverage. Thought you lot were over reacting but just watched the tribute video on the rte site. I'm nearly in tears. Jaysus.

I think it's fair to say, in an overall sense..... it's a sad day

Bill you Legend.

A Little Bit TV - Bill O'Herlihy

Go to the RTE player, for a truly great tribute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Tinie wrote: »

Two legends.

Mike Ingham gone from 5Live too.

Another absolute gent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

One of the least talented and ill-informed people on TV, and that's quite an achievement.

One of the least talented and ill-informed people on TV, and that's quite an achievement.

The majority of the football watching nation has enjoyed him over a period of 40+ years. That's millions of people. How you can call him "one of the least talented...people on TV" is beyond me. To have made an impression on that many people completely tramples all over a point that really should never have been posted in this thread anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Presided over some of the most memorable, heartbreaking, joyous, tragic, infuriating and downright magical moments in my life.
    Keep 'er lit Bill and enjoy retirement.

• Advertisement

Now, now, What you enjoy paint dry like BBC/ITV Shi7te?

Dry shi7te :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,207 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Great montage by RTE. Bill will be hugely missed as he's just such a consummate professional and nobody does sports presenting like him. All the best Bill.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    The majority of the football watching nation has enjoyed him over a period of 40+ years. That's millions of people. How you can call him "one of the least talented...people on TV" is beyond me. To have made an impression on that many people completely tramples all over a point that really should never have been posted in this thread anyway.

How do you know that the majority of the football watching nation has enjoyed him over a period of 40+ years? Have you conducted an exceptionally long and precise survey?

Sandraevra wrote: »
    Now, now, What you enjoy paint dry like BBC/ITV Shi7te?

Dry shi7te :-)

No Sandra, I enjoy educated, articulate punditry.

To be fair to Bill, he always said his main objective was to draw out the pundits based on what is being discussed surrounding the match in question and no one done that more effectively. His job was not to have any particular knowledge but to put points forward for the panel.

To be fair to Bill, he always said his main objective was to draw out the pundits based on what is being discussed surrounding the match in question and no one done that more effectively. His job was not to have any particular knowledge but to put points forward for the panel.

And how exactly would he put forward points for the panel without any specific knowledge? Ask them their favourite colour?

• Advertisement

I can imagine if the mod somehow has to close this thread in the 'unlikely' :) event of bickering that there is only one sentence that they could really use :D

No Sandra, I enjoy educated, articulate punditry.

Is that what noted intellectuals like Alan Shearer and Rio Ferdinand provide though?

How do you know that the majority of the football watching nation has enjoyed him over a period of 40+ years? Have you conducted an exceptionally long and precise survey?

Ah give over would you. I'm all for debate and alternative view points but you're being silly.

Agricola wrote: »
    Is that what noted intellectuals like Alan Shearer and Rio Ferdinand provide though?

No, it's not. I'm referring to the likes of Gary Neville and Graeme Souness.

Ah give over would you. I'm all for debate and alternative view points but you're being silly.

I think a lot of people, at least people I've talked to, think that Bill and the rest of the RTE mainstays are well past their sell-by date, or, were never particularly good in the first instance.

• Advertisement

I think a lot of people, at least people I've talked to, think that Bill and the rest of the RTE mainstays are well past their sell-by date, or, were never particularly good in the first instance.

So you don't think that hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people have enjoyed the rte panel over the years?

And how exactly would he put forward points for the panel without any specific knowledge? Ask them their favourite colour?

Well sure he referred to what is said in the media by managers/players and other sources and what occurred on the pitch. He didn't have to have played or managed in the game. He had a way of picking the right questions to ask and draw out the best in the panelists. Others like Lineker and Richard Keys would avoid such questions like the plague and stick to generating the hyperbole.

Well sure he referred to what is said in the media by managers/players and other sources and what occurred on the pitch. He didn't have to have played or managed in the game. He had a way of picking the right questions to ask and draw out the best in the panelists. Others like Lineker and Richard Keys would avoid such questions like the plague and stick to generating the hyperbole.

You mean specific knowledge?

Thats funny, As all the folks i've talked too will miss Bill O'Herlihy massive as regards to RTE footy analyst.

So you don't think that hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people have enjoyed the rte panel over the years?

I'm sure they have enjoyed Dunphy's drunken rants and foul language, or maybe even Giles stuttering and mispronouncing players names, and lets not forget Bill's okey dokey. The same way some people enjoy looking at car crashes.

But Bill is a presenter and not an analyst. You cant compare him to Gary Neville. You have to compare him to Lineker or Richard Keys or perhaps also Tom Mcguirk or Michael Lyster who have virtually the same role in other sports.

I somehow think your judging Bill by the same standards that your judging Dunphy and Giles on and tbh your on the wrong track if so.

Thats funny, As all the folks i've talked too will miss Bill O'Herlihy massive as regards to RTE footy analyst.

I literally cannot understand that sentence. What are you trying to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yes sir, Tings is always better in Engerland. :rolleyes:

I'll give you Gary Neville. Graeme Souness, meh, hardly.

Still for educated and articulate analysis RTE have Giles, Brady, Dunphy, Didi Hamann, and Ronnie Whelan. I don't know how else you would describe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Good in what sense? Analysis?

• Advertisement

But Bill is a presenter and not an analyst. You cant compare him to Gary Neville. You have to compare him to Lineker or Richard Keys or perhaps also Tom Mcguirk or Michael Lyster who have virtually the same role in other sports.

I somehow think your judging Bill by the same standards that your judging Dunphy and Giles on and tbh your on the wrong track if so.

Fair point. I don't he would compare favourably to Lineker or Keys, or Ed Chamberlain for that matter. I would have him of Childes!

EazyD wrote: »
    Good in what sense? Analysis?

Analysis, insight, intellect, knowledge.

I literally cannot understand that sentence. What are you trying to say?

Boo Woo, you don't like the Bill O'Herlihy.

You prefare boring and cr7p shi7te.

Any clearer kido?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

au revoir bill

Agricola wrote: »
    I'll give you Gary Neville. Graeme Souness, meh, hardly.

Still for educated and articulate analysis RTE have Giles, Brady, Dunphy, Didi Hamann, and Ronnie Whelan. I don't know how else you would describe it.

I'd take exception to Giles, Brady and Dunphy. Whelan and Hamann are good.

Boo Woo, you don't like the Bill O'Herlihy.

You prefare boring and cr7p shi7te.

Any clearer kido?

Not really, no.

I'm sure they have enjoyed Dunphy's drunken rants and foul language, or maybe even Giles stuttering and mispronouncing players names, and lets not forget Bill's okey dokey. The same way some people enjoy looking at car crashes.

So what you're saying is millions of people have been entertained by Bill who is in the entertainment business. But he's one of the least talented people to have ever appeared on TV?

You can see the big hole in your argument can't you?

You mean specific knowledge?

What are you talking about? I dont understand? What presenter does have this specific knowledge you refer to? Lineker tbf played the game but Bill leaves him in the ha'penny place with regards to drawing out the analysts. I mean that is their only real job and i honestly believe no one did it better than Bill.

Not really, no.

So what.

He is a Legend.

• Advertisement

What are you talking about? I dont understand? What presenter does have this specific knowledge you refer to? Lineker tbf played the game but Bill leaves him in the ha'penny place with regards to drawing out the analysts. I mean that is their only real job and i honestly believe no one did it better than Bill.

You are completely entitled to your opinion. I happen to disagree, no harm in that!

Advertisement