Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farewell Bill O'Herlihy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

the RTE coverage generally pulls in probably 500-800k viewers for the bigger matchs, champions league latter stages and world cup latter stages,

the last euros which was 2012 over 2 million watched RTEs covergae of irelands game against croatia, thats 1 game, 777,700 people watched the final,

and you also have to consider what the percentage of the TV watching public that is, which according to RTEs review was about 45-50% of all people watching terrestrial tv during that period, were watching ireland play against coratia

so anyone who says no one watched RTE football coverage is talking out their ****ing ass

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

don ramo wrote: »
    the RTE coverage generally pulls in probably 500-800k viewers for the bigger matchs, champions league latter stages and world cup latter stages,

the last euros which was 2012 over 2 million watched RTEs covergae of irelands game against croatia, thats 1 game, 777,700 people watched the final,

and you also have to consider what the percentage of the TV watching public that is, which according to RTEs review was about 45-50% of all people watching terrestrial tv during that period,

so anyone who says none watched RTE football coverage is talking out their ****ing ass

No one is debating whether or not it is watched, it is the quality that is in question. Maybe read the thread before spouting irrelevant facts.

Fair point. I don't he would compare favourably to Lineker or Keys, or Ed Chamberlain for that matter. I would have him of Childes!

Well look if you prefer the level of analysis on UK Tv then fair enough thats your opinion. Frankly i think the hyperbole generated by the English presenters is embarrassing and cringe worthy but thats only my opinion and i would hazard a guess the opinion of many others too.

Sandraevra wrote: »
    So what.

He is a Legend.

Is English not your first language?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sandraevra

No. So What ?

• Advertisement

No. So What ?

Some of your posts are barely intelligible. It dampens the debate.

Fair point. I don't he would compare favourably to Lineker or Keys, or Ed Chamberlain for that matter. I would have him of Childes!

Jon you're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but that's twice now that you've attempted to belittle someone over their use of English, while earlier you produced the above gem yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'm sure they have enjoyed Dunphy's drunken rants and foul language, or maybe even Giles stuttering and mispronouncing players names, and lets not forget Bill's okey dokey. The same way some people enjoy looking at car crashes.

This is a great example of someone not seeing the wood from the trees.
    To get hung up on Dunphy's personality, or Giles not knowing the name of every tuppence ha'penny left back at this world cup, while ignoring the fact that their actual understanding of the game and their ability to impart that understanding to the viewer, is ridiculous.

Oh great the BBC have sent 900 people to Brazil, they have a panel of top former players all under 50, they have fancy graphics popping up all over the screen. Yes, this is what truly matters! :rolleyes:
    I'd take exception to Giles, Brady and Dunphy. Whelan and Hamann are good.

Why take exception to them when they fit the bill, educated and articulate. Do you just dislike the play fights they sometimes have?!
    Lineker tbf played the game but Bill leaves him in the ha'penny place with regards to drawing out the analysts. I mean that is their only real job and i honestly believe no one did it better than Bill.

I don't think the BBC see it as Lineker's job to draw anyone out tbh. They have a totally different viewpoint on punditry. Its more a case of it being window dressing for the main event. I mean if the head of sport at the BBC took it seriously would they have Rio Ferdinand as a pundit. Ofc not. He's a big name, thats it.

RTE dont pander to ageist's who bang about old men on the panel. If they did they would have got rid of them years ago and replaced them with a few recently retired players from the McCarthy era. Like Jason McAteer. Yeah!

stankratz wrote: »
    Jon you're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but that's twice now that you've attempted to belittle someone over their use of English, while earlier you produced the above gem yourself.

Thanks for pointing that out, I will edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Pretty poor Chief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Analysis, insight, intellect, knowledge.

I personally think your way off, but I guess we all have different idea's of what defines sharp analysis. When you say lack of intellect/ knowledge do you throw Giles/Brady into that? Because as far as I'm concerned both are at the top of their game in this regard.

And all your posts are pure ****7e and full of bull.

But keep looking in the mirror and loving yourself.

And all your posts are pure ****7e and full of bull.

But keep looking in the mirror and loving yourself.

Habla Inlges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

No one is debating whether or not it is watched, it is the quality that is in question. Maybe read the thread before spouting irrelevant facts.
    no people are going around talking **** that they are no good at all, and that no one watches them, im merely stating fact that a very large percentage of the country do in fact watch them and have done for years, regardless of what is considered to be better coverage that is extremely easy to access elsewhere,

people here seem to be saying that a large percentage of the irish footballing public are morons cause we dont listen to alan hansen or gary neville, is their automaton coverage of not calling it as it is somehow better than what the RTE panel have delivered for the last 3-4 decades,

Agricola wrote: »
    To get hung up on Dunphy's personality, or Giles not knowing the name of every tuppence ha'penny left back at this world cup, while ignoring the fact that their actual understanding of the game and their ability to impart that understanding to the viewer, is ridiculous.

Oh great the BBC have sent 900 people to Brazil, they have a panel of top former players all under 50, they have fancy graphics popping up all over the screen. Yes, this is what truly matters! :rolleyes:

Why take exception to them when they fit the bill, educated and articulate. Do you just dislike the play fights they sometimes have?!

I don't think the BBC see it as Lineker's job to draw anyone out tbh. They have a totally different viewpoint on punditry. Its more a case of it being window dressing for the main event. I mean if the head of sport at the BBC took it seriously would they have Rio Ferdinand as a pundit. Ofc not. He's a big name, thats it.

RTE dont pander to ageist's who bang about old men on the panel. If they did they would have got rid of them years ago and replaced them with a few recently retired players from the McCarthy era. Like Jason McAteer. Yeah!

Hear hear on Giles particularly. He doesn't know every players name and people say he's useless on that basis. Fair enough, he should probably do more research. But he is peerless in punditry circles for his ability to analyse the game in front of him. I'm always staggered by how many people don't get that.

Habla Inlges?

As i said.

More ****7e and bull posted by you.

Dunphy cursing on air is the height of unprofessionalism. Do you consider Mascerhano a tuppence ha'penny player?

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Hear hear on Giles particularly. He doesn't know every players name and people say he's useless on that basis. Fair enough, he should probably do more research. But he is peerless in punditry circles for his ability to analyse the game in front of him. I'm always staggered by how many people don't get that.

Do you not consider this an imperative part of his job?

don ramo wrote: »
    no people are going around talking **** that they are no good at all, and that no one watches them, im merely stating fact that a very large percentage of the country do in fact watch them and have done for years, regardless of what is considered to be better coverage that is extremely easy to access elsewhere,

people here seem to be saying that a large percentage of the irish footballing public are morons cause we dont listen to alan hansen or gary neville, is their automaton coverage of not calling it as it is somehow better than what the RTE panel have delivered for the last 3-4 decades,

No one said this.

As i said.

More ****7e and bull posted by you.

Wow, constructive input.

• Advertisement

Do you not consider this an imperative part of his job?

To be fair I think he should do more, absolutely. But regardless of whether he knows someone's name or not, he can still dissect and analyse the game in front of him better than anyone.

I'd rather that to someone who knows everything about the Iranian starting eleven but cant analyse a game.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    To be fair I think he should do more, absolutely. But regardless of whether he knows someone's name or not, he can still dissect and analyse the game in front of him better than anyone.

I'd rather that to someone who knows everything about the Iranian starting eleven but cant analyse a game.

Personally, I think Neville can do both. I reckon he's the best pundit around at the minute.

Dunphy cursing on air is the height of unprofessionalism. Do you consider Mascerhano a tuppence ha'penny player?

Yes, its unprofessional. He thought he was off air and wasnt. He immediately apologized on air, unprompted. Big deal. He's a human being, not a robot.

I dont consider Mashedpotato Mascherano to be a tuppence ha'penny player. Im sure Giles doesnt either. But so what if he garbles his foreign names the odd time. He gets a lot more of them right that he does wrong. And anyway, its hardly a hanging offence. Or more to the point, it hardly matters. Do I want someone who uses flawless Spanish pronounciation but whose grasp of the game is weak, or someone who knows the game inside out but not every 3rd choice goalkeeper's name. Hmm, tough choice!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I literally cannot understand that sentence. What are you trying to say?
    Habla Inlges?
    Wow, constructive input.

Keep it civil and on-topic please or you may be asked to not post on this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sad to see him go but appreciate that the time might have been right. He did his job very well and arguably established the template for Irish sports broadcasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

tubbs out bill in!! bill for the late late lads one last hurrah.

id fockin luv it!

lets start a campaign for bill to get late late show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

When I was in college, the DCU radio station and the DCU newspaper played a 5-a-side match in March for a cup we humorously named "The Bill O'Herlihy Cup'.

One of the lads met him when he was working for another station a couple of years ago, mentioned it to him, and he was gobsmacked by the whole situation. He was genuinely flattered that he had this sort of impact on sporting society (even if it was for a laugh). He even came out to DCU, presented the winners with the cup (albeit a couple of weeks later) and gave a very thorough, personal interview with the college radio station without a bother.

Genuinely the nicest man in the public eye I've ever met. A gentleman of all gentlemen and I'm sad to see him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I know someone posted the montage earlier, but didn't he make a speech at the end? Can anyone post a clip?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I read on the back of a Jefferson Starship LP...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I know someone posted the montage earlier, but didn't he make a speech at the end? Can anyone post a clip?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Farewell Bill. Absolute legend and you'd want to be made of stone for that farewell montage not to move you... Even if just a little!

Is there another TV panel in the world that gets more people talking? I've often watched RTE's coverage of international and CL matches in various drinking establishments and more often than not, the pub goes quiet and there's demands for the sound to be turned up when Bill and the lads get to have their speak! ITV, BBC and Sky spend fortunes on sending guys on location, totally dwarfing the RTE budget. ITV set themselves up on the Copacabana beach ffs! But I'd watch RTE coverage every time without question.

Their analysis, whether you think it's sh1t or not is an institution in this country and I for one am really saddened to see Bill finally go.

Farewell Bill, we'll leave it there so.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 must_of_being something I said

Goodnight and good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its good when a man knows when its time to go.

Its a quality very few people pocess.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

oki dok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's my uncles neighbour in dublin so I have met him a couple of times absolutely sound out pure gent as you would expect.
    My family there are originally from cork like him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Great personality, football on RTE won't be the same without him there to keep Dunphy in check. :D

Dunphy, Giles and Brady won't be able to have the same craic with Maloney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭recyclops

I used to serve him bout every two weeks in the shop I worked in and I'd love if we were quiet as he would stay and chat for a fair bit.

Absolute gent of a man.. Sad to see him go

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Farewell Billo, great presenter, fantastic at stirring the pot to liven things up.

Things won't be as interesting with Maloney, nothing against the man but he comes across as a bit sterile.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I think George hook summed up billo perfectly when he said "it takes a really clever guy to act stupid". IMHO that's what bill did perfectly for years, asked the " stupid" questions, and every time the 3 lads would take the bait, queue debate , arguments,profanity and analysis the likes of which no other TV station could come close to matching. Without Bill there lighting the fuse, none of that would have been possible.

It is fair to say, Bill, you were one of the best and will be missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

My SO was laughing at me but I'm not ashamed to say I had a tear in my eye after watching his send off video last night.

What a great ambassador for Irish broadcasting.

Cheers Bill

LIVE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think George hook summed up billo perfectly when he said "it takes a really clever guy to act stupid". IMHO that's what bill did perfectly for years, asked the " stupid" questions, and every time the 3 lads would take the bait, queue debate , arguments,profanity and analysis the likes of which no other TV station could come close to matching. Without Bill there lighting the fuse, none of that would have been possible.

It is fair to say, Bill, you were one of the best and will be missed

Ya we used to all think O Herlihy was clueless but that's how that show worked, he pretended to be, threw the grenades in as Whelan said and left it go from there.

Always professional but never took him self seriously, Maloney is a real poor alternative (zero personality) but it doesn't look like there is anyone else.

He will be sorely missed, I was really looking forward to the panel for the Champions League next season with Liverpool back but it wont be the same now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

All I can say is
    Bill thanks for the memories.

I am not allowed discuss …

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya we used to all think O Herlihy was clueless but that's how that show worked, he pretended to be, threw the grenades in as Whelan said and left it go from there.

Always professional but never took him self seriously, Maloney is a real poor alternative (zero personality) but it doesn't look like there is anyone else.

He will be sorely missed, I was really looking forward to the panel for the Champions League next season with Liverpool back but it wont be the same now.

Agree about Darragh Maloney. Im sure he's a nice fella and he does at least try to keep up the Billo tradition of asking the odd interesting question to spark a debate, but he reminds me a bit of Ryan Tubridy. When things go off script or when Dunphy gets a hot flush more to the point, then he clams up and immediately trys to steer it back on track. He takes himself and the whole thing a bit too seriously.

- Someone earlier said Eoin McDevitt from Second Captains would be decent replacement. I think he'd be far better than Maloney but his major problem is he's too new to TV, isnt as smooth as Darragh, and anyway, RTE would hardly snub him after years of being No2.

Yeah i understand that, I'm just trying to demonstrate that this is the exact reason as to why Bill and the panel are more popular amongst Irish viewers. People prefer this approach. Lineker and co are dreadful to watch. Alot of people dont like Chiles but tbh i think he is alright at generating the bit of banter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

It's like Pat Kenny all over again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Not the time for ****e like that, it's a farewell montage don't go criticising anybody in it. The videos for Bill, not you, and I'm sure Bill is delighted to receive a congratulations from the Taoiseach.

This thread is about Bill, not your views on other people.

Sorry, just wanted to jump in and say "fair play" for replying to the most ridiculous comment I've read on here in a while. Honest to god, having a pop at the Taoiseach for appearing in a video tribute to Bill-o. Why wouldn't the Taoiseach appear in it if asked? You'd rather he snubbed Bill? Why? Because you don't like the Taoiseach? Get a grip. Jesus.

Really going to miss Bill. Always such a class act, and made it seem so easy, but when you look to other channels, formats and programmes you realise - hey - it's not that easy after all. Far from it. Can't believe this tournament is over already: pole vaulted over my expectations after 2010, and was a great finale for Bill. Hope he has a long and happy retirement.

Yeah i understand that, I'm just trying to demonstrate that this is the exact reason as to why Bill and the panel are more popular amongst Irish viewers. People prefer this approach. Lineker and co are dreadful to watch. Alot of people dont like Chiles but tbh i think he is alright at generating the bit of banter

Same here. No fan of ITV but I'd rather Chiles over Lineker anyday. He made a good fist of dealing with Roy, asked plenty of questions designed to fan the flames! That's what he should be doing. No point in the self congratulatory stuff you know they'd be at on the BBC.
    Though Keane and Shearer together would have to be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

While Bill was not a commentator and never commentated on games. Bill retiring is almost like a Murray Walker moment for me. Walker was a true legend of Formula 1 and I've barely watched a race since he retired. It won't be the same without Bill. He really handled The Three Stooges with aplomb. Anyway, thanks for the memories Bill and enjoy your retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Won't be the same without him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MadYaker wrote: »
    Won't be the same without him :(

I'll not lie, I had a tear in my eye for the end of the montage and when you could see Bill was on the edge himself.

Will be missed greatly. Great presenter and the perfect foil for Dunphy, Giles and Brady. The panel is going to be a lot less fun and exciting with him gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement