Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farewell Bill O'Herlihy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Quite the task for me to fight back the tears last night when they played the montage right at the end. To see Bill slightly dewey eyed would soften any heart.

A few posters on the thread have criticized Bill for a supposed lack of knowledge about the game. I don't know if I can agree about that, I'd certainly think of the RTE anchors his knowledge is second to none and, relative to his competition across the water, better in most cases. Do you really think Chiles, Ed Chamberlin or Richard Keys have anything on him? I suppose to be fair Lineker knows his stuff, but he's cold and grating. Bill is a warm avuncular presence. Also a few people have confused punditry with the business of anchoring, he's not supposed to be as knowledgeable as Gary Neville, that isn't his job.

He's also been criticized by one particular poster as being completely without talent. Which is a ridiculous thing to say. When it comes to presenting sport, Bill is the Numero Uno. And I'm not just saying that because I've been watching him since before I can remember, over the years I've grown to despise Dunphy, realise that Johnny isn't the worlds most modern pundit and shook my head many a time a Bradys embittered childishness. But Bill, I still love Bill. He's smooth, he's decent and he sets himself to be the fall guy time and time again, in order to get the best argumentative nonsense out of the panel. Even last night, his send off was understated and classy to the extreme. The epitome of the man.

I think the biggest argument I could ever put forth for the irreplaceable nature of Bill would be related to the nature of his environment. RTE sport coverage, and particularly the panel, has a ramshackle by the seats of the pants quality, that while might not lend itself to outstanding analysis, does give proceedings an air of unscripted lunacy, that I don't think could be replicated anywhere else and, despite it's faults, I love it. Dunphy could say just about anything at any given moment, Giles could start a diplomatic incident any day with his mangalisation of every name that isn't English in origin and Brady could throw his toys out of the pram and clam up if someone doesn't agree with him. And does Bill ever look flustered or at time less than fully in control? He's there with a wry smile and the knowledge that it's only a game.

Give me that any day over the sterility of other channels.

Bill O' Herlihy, some man for one man.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

He'll be sorely missed, Bill's input really made the whole interplay between the lads get going. Darragh Moloney is a very poor substitute, and comes across as one of the middle-of-the-road yes men that are afraid of the panel coming to life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Surprised at the dislike of Maloney here. I think hes a good presenter and he'll do a fine job.

It was probably the right time for Bill to quit and possibly he should have done it at Euro 2012. The panels shortcomings have been exposed a lot in the last few years with nonsensical arguements becoming far too common. One thing that annoyed me in the last few years was his tendency to drag Man United into a lot of conversations on the Champions League coverage when they had no reason to be mentioned whatsoever. Also he's repeated saying that it was a bad night for football when Man United got knocked out of the Champions League each year wasnt needed.

Having said all that he has done a very good job mostly for a very long time so he deserves his sendoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Darragh is very good to be fair. Very polished, professional. I used to like watching him present the Premier league programme on RTE and he's actually a very good commentator too.

But he's no Bill sadly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

andyman wrote: »
    When I was in college, the DCU radio station and the DCU newspaper played a 5-a-side match in March for a cup we humorously named "The Bill O'Herlihy Cup'.

One of the lads met him when he was working for another station a couple of years ago, mentioned it to him, and he was gobsmacked by the whole situation. He was genuinely flattered that he had this sort of impact on sporting society (even if it was for a laugh). He even came out to DCU, presented the winners with the cup (albeit a couple of weeks later) and gave a very thorough, personal interview with the college radio station without a bother.

Genuinely the nicest man in the public eye I've ever met. A gentleman of all gentlemen and I'm sad to see him go.

I don't watch many sports programmes, but I always thought that was exactly how he came across, as a gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

A true pro till the last minute, even after the montage, delivered a lovely speech. will truely be missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The panel was the 4 of them, not the 3 of them. Bill was as important as the other 3.

He will be missed. I think this will see the breakup of the remaining 3 too, can't see them all continuing and in fact I can see some of them being moved out with new faces coming in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Giles has hinted that he'll stay on, I think Dunphy will stay as long as he's there,
    Brady is 58 so he'll probably still be around post Giles and Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Arghus wrote: »
    Quite the task for me to fight back the tears last night when they played the montage right at the end. To see Bill slightly dewey eyed would soften any heart.

A few posters on the thread have criticized Bill for a supposed lack of knowledge about the game. I don't know if I can agree about that, I'd certainly think of the RTE anchors his knowledge is second to none and, relative to his competition across the water, better in most cases. Do you really think Chiles, Ed Chamberlin or Richard Keys have anything on him? I suppose to be fair Lineker knows his stuff, but he's cold and grating. Bill is a warm avuncular presence. Also a few people have confused punditry with the business of anchoring, he's not supposed to be as knowledgeable as Gary Neville, that isn't his job.

He's also been criticized by one particular poster as being completely without talent. Which is a ridiculous thing to say. When it comes to presenting sport, Bill is the Numero Uno. And I'm not just saying that because I've been watching him since before I can remember, over the years I've grown to despise Dunphy, realise that Johnny isn't the worlds most modern pundit and shook my head many a time a Bradys embittered childishness. But Bill, I still love Bill. He's smooth, he's decent and he sets himself to be the fall guy time and time again, in order to get the best argumentative nonsense out of the panel. Even last night, his send off was understated and classy to the extreme. The epitome of the man.

I think the biggest argument I could ever put forth for the irreplaceable nature of Bill would be related to the nature of his environment. RTE sport coverage, and particularly the panel, has a ramshackle by the seats of the pants quality, that while might not lend itself to outstanding analysis, does give proceedings an air of unscripted lunacy, that I don't think could be replicated anywhere else and, despite it's faults, I love it. Dunphy could say just about anything at any given moment, Giles could start a diplomatic incident any day with his mangalisation of every name that isn't English in origin and Brady could throw his toys out of the pram and clam up if someone doesn't agree with him. And does Bill ever look flustered or at time less than fully in control? He's there with a wry smile and the knowledge that it's only a game.

Give me that any day over the sterility of other channels.

Bill O' Herlihy, some man for one man.

bkCXNcu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

NIMAN wrote: »
    The panel was the 4 of them, not the 3 of them. Bill was as important as the other 3.

He will be missed. I think this will see the breakup of the remaining 3 too, can't see them all continuing and in fact I can see some of them being moved out with new faces coming in.

Ya they all bounced off each other you just don't get the same with Darragh Maloney, Dunphy and them tend to put him in his place very quick.

I honestly thought with Bill gone they would all call it a day, Giles and Dunphy anyway but where else would Dunphy get to hear his own voice? :pac:

Fair dues to RTE though they stuck with a winning team for there football coverage which is far more compelling and realistic than what they show across the pond. Maybe RTE will change for a more youthful panel now with Cunningham, Sadlier and Didi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

rob316 wrote: »
    just don't get the same with Darragh Maloney
    Maloney is awful. It definitely won't be the same without Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ah jaysis.
    We'll leave it there so.

RIP you great, great man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just seen it, jaysus :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Very sad. A great broadcaster.

We'll leave it there so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Oh no. So soon after retiring. An absolute legend of Irish sports broadcasting. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Got more entertainment watching him and the lads than I did watching the boys in green most of the time!
    RIP Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Oh no.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is there a source? Not on RTE yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Shocked to hear this, RIP Bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

That video montage RTE did on his retiring is a whole lot sadder now.

RIP Billo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

On independent.ie too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

On journal.ie also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

RIP, thanks for keeping us entertained for all those years :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

:( R.I.P.

Icon if ever there was one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

RIP Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭recyclops

awful news, chatted to him a fair bit when i worked in his local dunnes. Lovely gentleman and always time for a quick chat. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Pat Kenny has just announced it on Newstalk, a sad day:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

RIP

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Devastated to hear, a great fellow Cork man. My grandfather lived in the same estate as him in Dublin and had nothing but good words to say about him.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Not even a year on, and we're giving him his final farewell.

A sad day. Respect to a legend of broadcasting and a gent of a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Devastated. RIP Bill. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Very sad news. So glad RTÉ gave him the send off he so richly deserved last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

A titan of sports broadcasting. R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Very sad. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Would be lovely for a huge flag / poster of him to be done up in time for the Eng and Scotland games.
    The fans would love to pay their respect to such a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Aww fuck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Okey Doke.

We'll leave it there so.

RIP Billo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Very sad news. RIP Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Such a humble, gent of a man.

Sad he didn't get to enjoy his retirement, but he's one of the rare few who manage to find a career doing something they both excel in, and absolutely love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Unbelievable. What a legend. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It's not okey doke. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Every time I saw those guys on RTE I enjoyed watching him.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Devastating news, RIP Bill. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Absolutely gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Very sad to hear. Like everyone else, thoroughly enjoyed his work. I loved how he played the silly card a lot to get the panel going. Did it perfectly.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

RIP Bill. :(

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Really upsetting news.
    Surprisingly upsetting.

:'(

RIP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement