Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farewell Bill O'Herlihy

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Horrible news. So many us had so many great days and nights watching Sport made better by having Bill watch it with us.

At least he got a great send off from RTE and the viewers when he left. But so cruel that his retirement was so short. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was shocked and little sad this morning when I heard the news. A great man, best sports presenter ever on RTE by a million miles imo.

I remember him doing the major events like the Olympics and World Cups way back in the late 70's and early 80's. That was long before Dunphy and Giles hit the screens on RTE. Back then he was a professional presenter and the best at it by a long way. Then along came Dunphy and Giles and Bill became the greatest troll in the history of television. He was brilliant at it and made for an entertainment that even non-sports people were tuning in to watch.

I've just so many great memories of this man through the years. RIP Bill, I don't think you will ever be forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

just catching this news now !!..can't believe it. an absolute legend of a man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's funny how the death of someone like this can really shock you.

Been busy all day and only just heard it on the 3pm news. I'm sad.

But he was only a guy in the TV, a presenter who I never meet or knew from Adam, but you feel you knew him, don't you?

Rest in peace Bill, you were a true pro at your job and will be missed.

Yeah its weird, as others have said, celebrity deaths dont affect a lot of us. We normally say "how can you feel sad about some public figures death, someone you never knew"
    But the thing was with Bill, a whole generation who grew up watching sport on RTE, especially soccer, felt they knew him. His obviously real friendship with his panelists helped in that. It was like listening to 4 mates talking in the pub, 3 of whom happened to be ex professionals. And Bill brought out the best in them. End of an era. RIP :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The area around Cork where he lived won't be same again.

We lost a gem and a good man today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Can't remember any other thread where the overriding sentiment is total respect for a person and genuine sadness at his passing without one dissenting voice. A measure of the man and legend that Billo was. Rest in Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

R.I.P. Bill :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hard to believe that he won't be on television again, never mind this.

I can't think of anyone else who was as beloved in Ireland as Bill was.

Best of all, he really was the very best at what he did. We talk up a lot of things in Ireland, making them out to be far better than they actually are, but Bill was the real deal. People give out about Darragh Maloney, but how is he possibly supposed to compare to the best?

RIP Bill. Today is a sad day. You were there with us all during some great moments down the years and those are some great memories to think about.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I was thinking the other day that he might have been tempted to come back for the Euros next summer :(

Rip legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭frankled

Very simple why we're all so sad at Bill's passing- he was just so very likeable. RIP Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

RIP Bill, sad to think we'll never hear a live 'okie dokie' from him again but you can be sure the phrase will live on a long time! Super broadcaster, made it look so easy.

Advertisement