Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight at vets

• 12-07-2014 6:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me, when you leave a sick pet in the vets overnight, is there generally somebody there to keep an eye on them in case their condition worsens or the get distressed and try to remove the drip etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I know in my vets they have the facility for a vet or nurse to stay over when there's animals that need observation. I looked after one of the vets dogs for daycare and she had a couple of overnights during the time she worked there. Although I'm sure every practice is different and have different systems in place.

Any word on Phoe this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Not sure, I know our vets is just a small country practice, but when we had a cat in all night, vet had left at midnight, checked him 3 and 6 am. Between calls, as he lives a few miles away, and he'll only take animals in that really need it.
    He once called to our house at 10.30pm just to check if Oliver was ok after a bad reaction to anesthetic, and called in again at 8.30am.
    I hope Phoe is ok. X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I was just concerned as he had diarrhoea yesterday evening and I hated the idea of him being in a crate for a few hours with a mess.

No news. I rang the vet and the lady I spoke to said the vet is with him now and will call me later in the day. I guess that at least means he's still alive. Considering heading down to wait for news. I feel useless here at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Did you manage to get any sleep? You need to mind yourself as well.

I have everything crossed that Phoe will be ok xxx

I was so tired I fell straight asleep and stayed that way for about five hours. But awake since four mooching around online. If he's ok today and can come home I'll bring him up to bed for the day for a proper sleep.

Just spoke to the vet. He won't be coming home today. :( won't know more until later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I hope that they work out what the problem is, and get him better soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Whispered I really hope you have positive news soon. We have fingers and paws crossed here for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Really hope he's OK!

At my vets I know they have a room for a nurse to stay in overnight in special cases like this. I'd say most vets would have something similar, or at least I'd hope they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I checked Facebook this morning hoping for an update, really hope he is ok you must be exhausted tired on top of all the worry, take care of yourself as well xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah poor Phoe - he looks so tiny in the photo online :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jeez Whispered, I feel so sad and worried for you :-(
    I know it's never a good time for our pets to get sick, but you really need this like a hole in the head now when you need to be looking after yourself.
    I know we'll all be keeping everything crossed and crossed again for him, and checking in here to see how he's doing.
    C'mon Phoe!

Thanks all. Sorry, I didn't mean this to turn into a pity party for me :) I'm already indulging in that on Facebook :o.

DBB you're right about timing. Pregnancy brain is making it hard to stay logical! I keep expecting te worse.

Vet has given another anti vomiting injection, his fourth since yesterday morning. Despite these injections he had still been vomiting up until this morning. Vet has ruled out parvo which became a concern for a while, but tests were negative thankfully. He's being given a small amount of food now and if he doesn't vomit that is good news, if he does the barium (I may be spelling that wrong) may have to be done. Thankfully the vet told me that he has no reason to believe he is in immediate danger. We are going to visit soon, and hope it will help him perk up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

anyone who loves a dog, will be feeling for you Whispered and keeping everything crossed that Phoe is home very soon

I don't think there's a worse feeling than when your pet is sick, and considered sick enough to warrant overnight care in the vets. You feel so helpless and out of control, and especially without a definitive diagnosis. Don't think of it as a pity party at all, just a collective of concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

that's the beauty of boards we all understand each others emotions/concerns because as pet owners we all have worn that t shirt at some stage in our lives

might sound crazy but I have heard myself asking mine why cant you talk and tell me whats wrong

hope the little one is back home soon and then you can relax because you wont until then

makes no difference what we say to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

All fingers and paws here are crossed for Phoe!

Thanks :) we visited and he's perkier. Still very tender and sensitive stomach but he's been rehydrated. Yesterday they could x-ray him without sedation and leave a catheter in day and night without him near it, now he has the energy to pull it out of his leg three times :rolleyes: that has to be a good sign.

We brought him for a little walk and he went to the loo. Still very loose stools, but this was expected. He has eaten 1/4 tin of food and at 5pm anyway, had kept it down. He enjoyed his walk (K's nickname for him is Piggy, I got dressed in a very distracted state :o)

If he vomits again, we are back to worrying, but I feel much better having seen him. His mood has vastly improved from yesterday.

Yesterday - Not even lifting his head for me

10511077_668004999942223_5265747883473752990_n.jpg?oh=afa491d7521e74f9d46e0a7eb3db994b&oe=5435E7DB

Today - cooling his back in the damp cool grass outside the vets

10422069_668445086564881_1584603518445838897_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah glad he's feeling better!! :)

I presume you get to take him home tonight? (for a million cuddles!)

them cuddles are better than any medicine once on the recovery road ;)

• Advertisement

He is staying in again tonight. Because he's only eaten a tiny bit and might still throw it up they want to be fully sure before letting him out. He went seriously downhill within 6 hours on Thursday night so they want to make sure he is actually recovering from the illness and it's not just the fluid keeping him going.

If he keeps down the 1/4 tin until tonight, they will give him a half tin and if that stays down overnight I might get to bring him home tomorrow. :)

Whispered wrote: »
    He is staying in again tonight. Because he's only eaten a tiny bit and might still throw it up they want to be fully sure before letting him out. He went seriously downhill within 6 hours on Thursday night so they want to make sure he is actually recovering from the illness and it's not just the fluid keeping him going.

If he keeps down the 1/4 tin until tonight, they will give him a half tin and if that stays down overnight I might get to bring him home tomorrow. :)

everything crossed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh jeez, my heart lurched when I saw that first picture of him... Awful to see that happy, smiley dog so down.
    But then the next picture came along of the Phoe we all know and love :o
    Phew!
    Everything still crossed here :)

Yeah it's so unlike him. Even at the height of his demodex illness when he was covered in sores he still loved life. Yesterday he just wanted to be left alone. I honestly think he'd have been dead had I gone to work.

I have to say the vets have been absolutely fantastic. I had to carry him to our local vet (our stupid car is broken) and from the second I brought him in, the vet was all over it telling me what needed to be done and making sure I understood. Then, because they are ran by the same people and there was more weekend cover, he moved him to another one in the next town. The vet on today told us to visit after hours instead of when they were open, brought him up to reception for us, made sure we understood exactly what was going on and spent ages discussing it with us. Absolutely top class service. I was disappointed when new vets came into our local practise, but in fairness I couldn't ask for anything more. Oh and the lovely vet nurse had her lunch with him to try cheer him up. :)

Honestly, thanks for all of the concern and nice messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Such a lovely boy, he looks so much better in that second pic I hope he's on the road to recovery. It's awful when they go downhill so fast but he's getting well looked after I'm sure.

Nice dog !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

BRILLIANT to hear Phoe is feeling better - hopefully he will be ok and home tomorrow. I couldnt find the thread where you told us what was wrong with him ??? He is such a beautiful dog. As someone said earlier, the animal lovers on here know exactly how you are feeling.

My daughter has a minor ongoing 'thing' that we need to go see the GP about (zero urgency) - we NEVER go to the GP in our family - but she said the other day after we came home from the vet with our very drama-queen-ish youngest dog (gastric upset) that we ALWAYS go to the vet with the dogs/horse but we NEVER go to the GP with ourselves :D

aonb wrote: »
    BRILLIANT to hear Phoe is feeling better - hopefully he will be ok and home tomorrow. I couldnt find the thread where you told us what was wrong with him ??? He is such a beautiful dog. As someone said earlier, the animal lovers on here know exactly how you are feeling.

A gastric upset too. I brought him up because he was lethargic and ran away from me when I tried to touch him. That's not like him at all (we have trouble getting him to stay away from us most of the time, he likes to snuggle). Turns out the vomit, that I thought was regurgitated poo, was actually digested blood and he was in a lot of pain and very dehydrated. He had been out playing with Harley only 10 hours before and had only gotten sick at 10pm, was still buzzing about happily enough at 12am and by 6am was unable to walk the 1km to the vet. Scary how quickly it happened.

My daughter has a minor ongoing 'thing' that we need to go see the GP about (zero urgency) - we NEVER go to the GP in our family - but she said the other day after we came home from the vet with our very drama-queen-ish youngest dog (gastric upset) that we ALWAYS go to the vet with the dogs/horse but we NEVER go to the GP with ourselves :D

You suffer on because the doctor is so expensive and it's a hassle taking the time off work and travelling up, yet would drop everything, including work, and leave bills unpaid to get the pets to the vet. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I can relate to this so much! Sometimes I feel like a hypochondriac by proxy for our dogs! But I remember once calling the vet at 1:30 am - he was here in 15 minutes confirmed vestibular syndrome in our dog put our minds firmly at rest (she was 8 at the time and lived until 14) charged us far less than a doctor too - I was thinking because we live rural had I had to call a gp for myself I'd be waiting hours!

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    I was thinking because we live rural had I had to call a gp for myself I'd be waiting hours!

I had my consultant suggest I get certain treatment from my GP, starting immediately, my GP is refusing without it in writing. It took me a week to get through to the consultants secretary, only to be told he won't be in for another week and she would "try" to get the letter then. This is pregnancy care.

I have my vets and the vet nurses mobile number, two emergency numbers and our lovely local vet nurse has often messaged me at mad hours to ask about the boys if they'd been up. That's pet care.

It's crazy! (although I'm very grateful for the level of care the boys get of course)

Advertisement