Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more buggy questions!

Options
  • 12-07-2014 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Ok, more research!

Been browsing quite a few buggy threads lately. A couple of similar issues arise again and again. If I were to seek a vote: -

Adapter for car seat to buggy, yes or no? Did you use it much? Some say they seldom used it at all, others swear this is a must!
    The carry cot option - yes/ no. Some say they never bothered with it at all if buggy seat could recline enough for new baby etc.
    The folding option all in one go v taking bits off. Bothers some, not others.
    Adapter option for possible second baby soon after, front to back? Yes/no
    Car seat fixed base - yes/ no. We have 2 cars. Get it and transfer from one car to another each time?/ get one for car most used/ stick with seat belt only for ease of transfer between cars.

Big thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

73trix wrote: »
    Ok, more research!

Been browsing quite a few buggy threads lately. A couple of similar issues arise again and again. If I were to seek a vote: -

Adapter for car seat to buggy, yes or no? Did you use it much? Some say they seldom used it at all, others swear this is a must!
    The carry cot option - yes/ no. Some say they never bothered with it at all if buggy seat could recline enough for new baby etc.
    Car seat fixed base - yes/ no. We have 2 cars. Get it and transfer from one car to another each time?/ get one for car most used/ stick with seat belt only for ease of transfer between cars.

Big thanks!!!

I spent a small fortune on a travel system (bugaboo cameleon). I love it, and find it a amazing when out walking the dogs. However if you don't have dogs and go walking out in the rough I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the baby elegance beep twist. It's amazing amazing value. €349 in smyths and €399 in baby elegance itself add an extra €100 for isofix. Here is my rational:

1. There are no car seat adapters. I have posted previously about my woes on putting the car seat adapters the wrong way around, absolute disaster and very upsetting. I was in dundrum yesterday and saw a grandad with a baby in a besafe car seat on a cameleon, grandad didn't realise that adapters were put on wrong but baby legs were really high in air. Needless to say he will realise when he puts car seat in isofix and then car seat won't come out of isofix! I am not one for leaving baby in carseat for long periods but it is so so handy to stick it on chassis if you are running in to do food shopping.

2. Defo get a carrycot. Babies are meant to lie flat for the first six months. I found the carrycot so nice for daytime naps. The beep twist is great because the head part of carry cot can be pulled up to recline for babies who have reflux. I have never seen this before, any of my friends who had babies with reflux had to buy wedge pillows. Also the base is all ventilated and if you purchase an extra pram mattress (their own one) it can be used for overnight sleeps, which is great if you want to sleep over somewhere, or maybe you might use it instead of a Moses basket.

3. When you put the infant seat on it, it folds in one piece. It is much easier than my cameleon which I have to remove seat first then fold up chassis.

4. I am very anti the single travel systems that have the option of adding on another seat. They are so heavy. If you are near Bella baby they have all of the brands that have this option. Personal I think if you need a double, get the side by side ones are way way lighter and much nicer as both children can look out. The two that I see are the city jogger mini double and the out n about nipper 360. Ok the bugaboo donkey looks the part but is more expensive then the beep twist plus a city jogger or out n about.

5. I couldn't cope with seat belts, so would 100% recommend isofix. We wanted to buy two bases but the girl in tony kealys told us that it so super easy to move from car to car than we would waste our money. She was right it only takes seconds!

6. I hate to say that a lot of people stop using their travel system after 1 year or even 6 months! They end up buying an umbrella stroller like a maclaren quest. This is another reason by the beep twist is a winner. Crèches won't take bugaboos etc as they are too big to store.

I still love my bugaboo but if I didn't bring my dogs walking and if I had to pay for it myself I would buy the beep twist!! Ps I don't work for baby elegance :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

73trix wrote: »
    Ok, more research!

Big thanks!!!

Re adaptors - we'd a loan of a car the few weeks before and after birth, but we don't usually use or need one. In hindsight, I've no idea why we ever used the adaptors! In fairness we've a very good baby, but why not just use car seat in car and buggy outside of car. In the early days, they'll be waking all the time anyways, so who cares if they wake during the transition? Sure wherever you go, you're going to need to learn to have a feed ready (even if it's unexpected!) It's absolutely not a must - babies do wake, all the time - the "must" is being ready for it!

Carrycot - lovely but unessential - as long as you've a buggy attachment that lies flat.

Folding - I've given up on this. If I were to get a bus (and I don't even try), I'd have to take the baby out, hold the baby, fold up the buggy holding baby in one hand, somehow fold it in one hand (without dropping baby!) and hoist the buggy up into the designated area. Let alone if you had bags etc. I've seen other people handing their babies to strangers to fold the buggy, but this isn't something I'll ever do. It's very handy being able to fold the Uppababy Vista with buggy seat attached - however, you still need to put baby somewhere while doing so!

Re. bases, I don't even have a car, but they are soooo handy and save so much time, I'd absolutely recommend getting one for each car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'm using the graco mirage which comes with a car seat that clips directly onto the pram without having to take bits off. So I didn't need to use adapters. I do find it handy but not essential to be able to clip the car seat onto the pram. In theory if the baby is asleep she can be lifted in and out of the car with minimal disturbance. In practice, 9times out of 10 she wakes anyway. It saves you having to undo one set of straps and redo another so it's quick but that wouldn't make it a deal breaker for me. I've no idea how much those adapters cost - if it's not too much id go for it. I also liked being able to easily travel abroad with both the pram and car seat since I can use them both at the same time however again if you only travelled with the car seat and chassis I'm sure you'd be fine. Our baby never got as comfy in the car seat though..anyway I digress.

On folding up, I much prefer all in one and not having to take bits off cos when it's raining, baby's unsettled, whatever, it's just so much easier to pack up and go. That said, if the system you're looking at needs to be taken apart to give you other features like the ability to clip on an extra seat, it's a minor inconvenience. I just particularly disliked the idea of spending 500 or so on a system that gave me even minor inconveniences!

I think being able to convert to a double is a super idea as you put so much time effort and often expense into the first pram it's great to still be able to use it if you're planning on having more kids soon. I didn't bother with that but then I only spent €170 on the system so I won't feel too bad if I need to switch.

With the carrycot I decided against it cos they're used for such a short period and I don't have the storage space for when it's not in use. They're hefty things some of them. I never used a Moses basket for naps and used her cot from day one so didn't need an extra piece of furniture. The disadvantage of not having one was that you can't see the baby when the pram reclines flat as they're facing outwards. When I wanted to dote on her in the early days I used the car seat.

I would definitely go isofix for your car. Especially if you have the option of using the same base for the next group car seat. If you can afford it do it for both cars. If not try switching it from one to the other to start with and get the second one if you find it a pain.

It's interesting to see how opinions differ so others might have completely different ideas to me but that's my long-winded 2c :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

My OH has been having a look in my absence ( I couldn't go) and was quite taken with the baby jogger city select - one that can be used for 2nd child. Am dying to have a look myself of course but curious for reviews...

Anyone have this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

We have one car with isofix points but mine doesn't. Is it possible to get a car seat that's compatible with both an isofix base and a strap in base?

• Advertisement

We have one car with isofix points but mine doesn't. Is it possible to get a car seat that's compatible with both an isofix base and a strap in base?

I am pretty sure all the main infant seats eg besafe and maxi cosis can be installed either with isofix or sealtbelts.

Millem wrote: »
    I am pretty sure all the main infant seats eg besafe and maxi cosis can be installed either with isofix or sealtbelts.

The bases or the seat? I'd really prefer to have a base rather than be strapping in the car seat to my car each time. It's all so confusing!!

The bases or the seat? I'd really prefer to have a base rather than be strapping in the car seat to my car each time. It's all so confusing!!

If you car doesn't have isofix you wrap the seatbelt around the seat! The bases are the isofix part! My sis had a graco that uses a base but it isn't isofix the seatbelt wraps around base and car seat slots in.

If you car doesn't have isofix you wrap the seatbelt around the seat! The bases are the isofix part! My sis had a graco that uses a base but it isn't isofix the seatbelt wraps around base and car seat slots in.

That's what I want if possible! I'd prefer not to be physically strapping the car seat itself everytime but have a base that is strapped in with the seat belt. Just been googling extensively and it looks like the maxicosi easybase 2 has it. Off to google graco now thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

I've the beep twist and I'm very happy with it he naps in the carry cot during the day.
    The car seat is so easy to strap in I wouldn't bother with isofix it takes two mins!

• Advertisement

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    I've the beep twist and I'm very happy with it he naps in the carry cot during the day.
    The car seat is so easy to strap in I wouldn't bother with isofix it takes two mins!

I think the beep twist is amazing! In fact I think it is way better than the majority of travel systems in the €1000+ bracket! If you go to Dundrum (mamas and papas and bella baby), you would do well to get a travel system with carrycot, infant seat and car seat for under €800!! Just a few minutes walk away in old shopping centre you can get beep twist! And may I just saw I am loving the colours for 2014/2015, you can mix and match with colour packs, so you could have cream hood/black footmuff combo!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

I think the beep twist is amazing! In fact I think it is way better than the majority of travel systems in the €1000+ bracket! If you go to Dundrum (mamas and papas and bella baby), you would do well to get a travel system with carrycot, infant seat and car seat for under €800!! Just a few minutes walk away in old shopping centre you can get beep twist! And may I just saw I am loving the colours for 2014/2015, you can mix and match with colour packs, so you could have cream hood/black footmuff combo!

I think a lot of the time you're just paying for the name!

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    I think a lot of the time you're just paying for the name!

I just can't get over the price €349 or €399! Their shop is fab I love their furniture...stunning. Seriously though they need to market it better. I was in the shop last week and I tell you I would say I sold two beep twists to two shoppers !! Lol lol the should put it in the likes of tony kealys and bella baby! I think a lot of people don't know about it tbh also I think their other travel system the neyo looks very like an icandy (can't remember which model but the one with all the chrome) and guess what it is made in the same factory!!!! But is less than half the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Great to hear all the feedback- the whole buggy thing is quite overwhelming! Beep twist looks lovely and makes a lot of sense from the point of view of no adapters for the car seat etc. just wondering if there's any negatives to it? My friend had one and felt the stroller part wasn't supportive enough feeling for the baby and also the wheels got wrecked really easily. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Thumpette wrote: »
    Great to hear all the feedback- the whole buggy thing is quite overwhelming! Beep twist looks lovely and makes a lot of sense from the point of view of no adapters for the car seat etc. just wondering if there's any negatives to it? My friend had one and felt the stroller part wasn't supportive enough feeling for the baby and also the wheels got wrecked really easily. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

I can't comment on the longevity. My whole thing on it is that the reality is you will only use it for 6 months to a year as most people buy an umbrella stroller like a maclaren. I have literally just put the infant seat onto my bugaboo and honestly I can say I will buy 100% be buying a maclaren quest in the next few weeks to keep in the car

Advertisement