Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NB Stove Size - confused.

• 12-07-2014 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I've tried to read up as much as possible and talk to showroom assistants, but the more I read the more confused I am.

We have a 14ft x 22ft internal room, 1 window, 2 double doors (one to hall). According to calculations, a 5kw or 6.5kw stove will heat the room. With kids in the house, there is a tendancy for doors to be left open. Two neighbors have an 8kw, but love heat and would leave the doors open so as the heat would travel upstairs and into their conservatory.

I prefer the looks of the 8kw or even 11kw stoves (druid 8 or belleek 11.5kw). However, what i'm afraid of is that we'll constantly have it on low as to sit in front of an 8kw would be like hell for my hubbie. Our couch will be 7ft in front of the stove. Would I be better to just get a 6kw (like henley kells) or even go for a 5kw.

From one person, I'm told its better for stove to be on full-blast to reduce creosote, and it wouldn't be good to have it on low for 3-4 hours a day. We'll clean the chimney ourselves, so can do this as often as needed if the build up is an issue? So from him, a 6w makes sense. Another site says its better to have a slightly bigger stove so as on cold days, you're not burning the hell out of it, but again recommends going for comfort, so would a 5kw be better, as we should be able to sit in front of that? My plan would be to put the stove on in the afternoon when kids up and doors open, but then as soon as kids go to bed, to be able to close the doors and sit comfortably.

What I guess we're really asking is, if the stove isn't been run to its capacity, is it really that bad for it?

Advertisement