Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with dogs skin.

• 12-07-2014 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right spot to start this thread, but basically Ive a West Hyland Terrier at home whom is 11 years old and is starting to get a skin condition around her chest. The skin has been black for a long time but not sore but lately she has been trying to scratch it, she went deaf a few months ago her ears are also gone crusty along the canals possibly that is associated with her chest? Has anyone every experienced this with their dogs? The dog is in no pain whatsoever which is part of my reason for not wanting to add a vets expense as she has had two completely seperate operations over the last 5 years which cost me a good few pound.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Westies are notorious for contracting skin conditions like dermatosis. I would say you might get more answers in the Animals & Pets forum though. Would you like me to move it over there?

A vet check on her would only be about €50 to be honest. Wouldn't be the most expensive thing in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

If you could move me over there please?
    Id definetly be willing to pay the vets fee where needed.
    Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

farming93 wrote: »
    If you could move me over there please?
    Id definetly be willing to pay the vets fee where needed.
    Thanks for the reply.

[Thread Moved to Animals & Pet Issues]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

As kovu mentioned, West Highland Terriers are prone to skin conditions, and in fact are one of the most allergic breeds of all.
    The ear problem is almost certainly related to the skin problem, and Westie skin problems invariably start around the chest, front legs, belly and groin.
    Is she itchy?

It is extremely unlikely that you'll get away with leaving her without a trip to the vet. If it's the usual Westie skin condition, it will become unbearably itchy and sore. If left untreated at the early stages, it's a long and expensive process to get the dog back on track again, with all the unnecessary suffering that letting it get worse entails.
    The ears can be an utter nightmare if left untreated, resulting in serious pain for the dog, and often requires an operation to correct. Again, this is often avoided by getting appropriate early veterinary treatment for the dog.

If it is the usual Westie skin condition, and you catch it early enough, the treatment is usually a course of steroids (which are cheap), medicated baths (these should not be by-passed), and often very successful as an adjunct, a diet change off dry food onto nutritious wet food which includes feeding oily fish several times per week (not tinned supermarket food, this is an absolute no-no).

I hope you do what needs to be done for your Westie op. At 11 years old, she surely deserves that extra bit of effort after a lifetime of companionship?

She has been in no pain so far and I wont allow her to be in any pain. Its only on close examination that its noticable and as I said Ive brought her to the vet before and will do it again, I just put this up to get opinions on it so I could get a clearer picture I didnt even realise till this thread that dogs can get Dermatitis, I will bring her into the vet next week.
    Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

farming93 wrote: »
    She has been in no pain so far and I wont allow her to be in any pain.

If she's itchy, she's in trouble: don't be lulled into thinking that itchiness isn't a form of pain, and is deeply irritating to dogs (and us!) You can be pretty sure the ears are sore too, but being stoical creatures who are designed to hide signs of pain, it may not be as obvious as you might think it would be.
    I've dealt with more than one itchy Westie in my time, so I'm glad to hear you're going to have her seen to soon, because she really does need to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 maireadH

I give mine a cod liver oil tablet 4-5 times a week. That gives her the fish oils easily. Probably won't cure the current problem but would be worth considering after vet treatment to help keep the problem at bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Our lady is a westie x and she is prone to the harvest mite .. check between the dogs toes and under their shoulders and look for little orange mites .. these little feckers will cause your dog to itch. there is a spray on will do the trick but you need to get it from the vet.

Brought her off to the vet today, its Dermatitis. We have her on tablets and got her two injections it should clear up within a week or two luckily enough.

Advertisement