Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannara TV Series

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Found them Tolkein-lite, but enjoyable none the less. However apart from GoT, few fantasy series seem to translate into the small screen. Still, will view if show this side of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Hopefully it gets a good adaption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I got about halfway through the book...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Ah this finally got the go ahead! Been waiting years for this.

As long as they get someone cool to play Walker-Boh I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Manach wrote: »
    Found them Tolkein-lite, but enjoyable none the less. However apart from GoT, few fantasy series seem to translate into the small screen. Still, will view if show this side of the Atlantic.

I always thought the Knight of the Word/Nest Freemark books would make a kickass kids film/mini series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

starts tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Skerries wrote:
    starts tonight

Which channel?

sorry, in the US so available from the usual sources tomorrow
    Don't know when terrestrial will show it

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Thibus

I watched the first 2 episodes last night.
    I wasn't really impressed, some nice visuals etc but a lot of little changes to the story etc.
    Will give it a couple more episodes in the hope that it picks up and improves.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Thibus wrote: »
    I watched the first 2 episodes last night.
    I wasn't really impressed, some nice visuals etc but a lot of little changes to the story etc.
    Will give it a couple more episodes in the hope that it picks up and improves.

Found it ok, stuck it on netflix and bulleted through the season. Its something to watch when a bit bored. Ill watch season two if it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I watched 4 or 5 episodes on Netflix but lost interest. It's ok but not great.

I haven't read any of the books in decades - multiple decades. Not sure if I'm interested enough to re-read - where's a good place to start if I was going to do that? I'm happy to skip chronologically over some of the series to read the best of them if reading out of sequence is ok.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Trojan wrote: »
    I watched 4 or 5 episodes on Netflix but lost interest. It's ok but not great.

I haven't read any of the books in decades - multiple decades. Not sure if I'm interested enough to re-read - where's a good place to start if I was going to do that? I'm happy to skip chronologically over some of the series to read the best of them if reading out of sequence is ok.

Read the back of the shampoo bottle instead man or anything else...

lordgoat wrote: »
    Read the back of the shampoo bottle instead man or anything else...

lol, that bad? I guess the fact that I don't remember the ones I did read very well might say something :)

lol, that bad? I guess the fact that I don't remember the ones I did read very well might say something :)

I remember reading years ago after reading David Eddings (who I thought then was amazing) and going 'this is awful'. My opinion on Eddings now isn't as high as it was then so...

lordgoat wrote: »
    I remember reading years ago after reading David Eddings (who I thought then was amazing) and going 'this is awful'. My opinion on Eddings now isn't as high as it was then so...

I read them at exactly the same time too! I haven't re-read any Eddings either - I did think about it, but the same lack of enthusiasm as for Brooks.

Back then I was way more into sf - there was much more quality reading available. I think that the fantasy genre has improved very significantly over the past 15-20 years.

I read them at exactly the same time too! I haven't re-read any Eddings either - I did think about it, but the same lack of enthusiasm as for Brooks.

Back then I was way more into sf - there was much more quality reading available. I think that the fantasy genre has improved very significantly over the past 15-20 years.

I would agree completely with you on the quality. Also the genre has really diversified too. Loads of imagination and great storytelling. The quality of writer has also improved!

Advertisement