Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed to find placings for WC teams

• 12-07-2014 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have arranged a sweepstakes at work that revolves around the final placing/ranking of each of the teams, based solely on their WC performances. The trouble is I can't find where these placements are found!

It's obviously easy enough to work out that Argentina/Germany will be 1st or 2nd, Brazil/Netherlands will be 3rd or 4th but after that it's more difficult to determine for the remaining 28 teams.

I could use the points allocated to the teams for their world rankings table but can't find these scores.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mods: If this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move, I did look at the "Games" section but I thought this forum was more fitting

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Beyond the 1st-4th placings there aren't any other placings. No 5th or 6th or whatever or at least not that i've ever heard.

Seems like an unnecessarily complicated system for a WC sweepstakes. Why didn't you just go with the winner gets the majority of money with smaller shares of the money for 2nd and 3rd like every WC sweepstake i've ever seen?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Beyond the 1st-4th placings there aren't any other placings. No 5th or 6th or whatever or at least not that i've ever heard.

Seems like an unnecessarily complicated system for a WC sweepstakes. Why didn't you just go with the winner gets the majority of money with smaller shares of the money for 2nd and 3rd like every WC sweepstake i've ever seen?:confused:

'Cause that's boring! If you get a crap team from your draw you loose interest straight away. We have it set up that you get a team from the top 16 seeds and a team from the bottom 16 seeds. The better your top seeded team does the better and the worse your bottom seed team does the better for you. Keeps things more interesting for more people for longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The bottom 16 you can rank based on points gained and goal difference.

From 5-16, you're in trouble. Maybe cluster them so you have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, then 5-8, and 9-16 (based on progress)

Thanks! I had thought of that but as you say, from places 17-9 and then from 8-5 will be a bit of a pain. When/how do FIFA publish the points a team accrues towards their world rankings?

Before the competition Spain had 1400 points but this will obviously change by X amount - anyone know where/when this amount becomes public?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Issac wrote: »
    Thanks! I had thought of that but as you say, from places 17-9 and then from 8-5 will be a bit of a pain. When/how do FIFA publish the points a team accrues towards their world rankings?

Before the competition Spain had 1400 points but this will obviously change by X amount - anyone know where/when this amount becomes public?

Thanks!

Try here maybe. It lets you work out the prognosis for each team. Just make sure you remove the points for pre-WC friendlies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I would say put them in pods.
    Places 1-4 are self explanatory
    Then:
    5-8 would be quarter final losers
    9-16 Second Round Losers
    17-24 Third Place Group Stage
    25-32 Fourth Place Group Stage

Then just do a normal table (W/D/L/Pts/GF/GA/GD) and sort on the pods
    Maybe have the rules of Pts, followed by Goal Difference, Goals For and if still locked who had the lower pre-WC FIFA ranking / or coin flip. I also assumed if the match ended in a shootout, it counted as a draw in the final table.

I did a sort in Excel using these rules and the rankings would be in order presented:
    5-8 (Columbia,Belgium,France,Costa Rica)
    9-16 (Chile,Mexico,Switzerland,Uruguay,Greece,Algeria,United States,Nigeria)
    17-24 (Ecuador,Portugal,Croatia,Bosnia and Herzegovina,Cote d'Ivoire,Italy,Spain,Russia)
    25-32 (Ghana,England,Korea Republic,Iran,Japan,Australia,Honduras,Cameroon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Issac wrote: »
    'Cause that's boring! If you get a crap team from your draw you loose interest straight away. We have it set up that you get a team from the top 16 seeds and a team from the bottom 16 seeds. The better your top seeded team does the better and the worse your bottom seed team does the better for you. Keeps things more interesting for more people for longer.

I got Ivory Coast and lost an interest straight away.
    Someone got Spain and lost it not much later:D

This is how it works - keep it simple.

We put a tenner each - 1st one gets 200, second one 100 and the third one 20.

Going through the FIFA stats is a waste of time.

It is a lottery, no need to overthink this.

Thanks for the replies! I'll take a look at the link pablomakaveli gave above - I think this will probably be the best way of doing it.

I also like ddarcy's pod idea and will see if that will work for how the teams were drawn in out 'stakes. This will save me quite a bit of working out!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bet they love you in work Issac!

I'm an engineer so my methods will be questioned! Gotta make sure I can back up my numbers! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Wiki has a rankings done that follows the official FIFA method (which I believe will be published at the end of the tournament).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup#Tournament_team_rankings

roanoke wrote: »
    Wiki has a rankings done that follows the official FIFA method (which I believe will be published at the end of the tournament).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup#Tournament_team_rankings

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you. Do you know how they calculated these places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I was looking at something the other day and stumbled across these final standings tables from previous world cup, which are FIFA made. Use whatever criteria these use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup#Final_standings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FIFA_World_Cup#Final_standings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_FIFA_World_Cup#Final_standings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup#Final_standings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup#Post-tournament_team_ranking

EDIT: Here's this year's table thus far for 2014

Pos. Team G Pld W D L Pts GF GA GD
    1 ?
    2 ?
    3 ?
    4 ?

Eliminated in the quarter-finals

5 Colombia C 5 4 0 1 12 12 4 +8
    6 Belgium H 5 4 0 1 12 6 3 +3
    7 France E 5 3 1 1 10 10 3 +7
    8 Costa Rica D 5 2 3 0 9 5 2 +3

Eliminated in the round of 16