Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start a new Business

Options
  • 12-07-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi, this may be a strange question but I hope you can help me.
    I am currently working in a big multinational in finance but have been out sick for the last 7 months with an anxiety and depression disorder and I have come to the realisation that I can not go back to that sort of job.
    I have worked about 12 years as a chef before starting in financial and technical support roles and gave that up because of the working hours because of my former girlfriend complaining.
    I still cook a lot of course and people always love my food.
    I am therefore thinking of starting my own business as everyone loves my sauces and preserves.
    There is already a company in Cork making chilli sauces though and I don't want to steal your market.
    I am thinking of selling dulce de leche, fruit jams and chutneys and possibly glazes, salsas or fruit sauces (think of Ballymaloe cranberry sauce for example).
    I'm a complete beginner though and would like to get some advice if you're okay with that.
    First question is whether I will need to register as a business straight away or is there any government services that can help me with that? I know there are several schemes to start businesses if you're unemployed but I'm not. I would like to start a limited company so my girlfriend and me don't get into a cruciating debt if the plan doesn't work.
    I have contacted citizens information and micro finance Ireland already so hope they will be able to help me as well.
    The next question is where to get the jars and the labels.
    I would be looking at small jars for the products and maybe some small bottles for the sauces.
    The third question is how I can get onto local markets to sell the products. Is there a list of contact people for local markets? I've asked around in Mahon point and Douglas but vendors couldn't or didn't want to give me a contact number. Quite possibly as they don't want more competitors but I intent to sell unique products.
    Question number four: I'm also providing guided tours, writing books and do a lot of translations. I would like to keep doing this as a back up. Can I do that if I would have my own business or should I start a separate business for that?
    At the moment I do translations via agencies so they will have already provided the tax but if I would have my own company or more guide tours and translations I will have to pay income tax of course. The books I've written are not global best sellers so the "income" from those in negligible.
    Would I be able to start a second company for translations, tours and books? And would that be advisable?

Hope you will be able to help me.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Is mise le meas, Kind regards,
    Seoirse Paschal Proinsias Ó Duic / Jørgen Pascal Francisco Hartogs
    Mod Edit No links please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You do realise owning your own business is very stressful and entails working very long hours. How will you cope with these two factors if you haven't been able to in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flemishgael

You do realise owning your own business is very stressful and entails working very long hours. How will you cope with these two factors if you haven't been able to in the past?
    Hi, I do realise that. I have never had a problem with working very hard and long hours. Even while out sick I write about 10 to 12 hours a day and I have worked many years in kitchens as a chef at a high level.
    I like that sort of pressure and don't find it that stressful at all.
    The problem I have with working in an office environment is the fact that I'm constantly being told what to do by people and I have to sit in an office all day with people I really don't really want to share all my life with.
    I'm sure my colleagues are very nice but I'm at work to work and don't like completely irrelevant chatting etc.
    I've worked for years at street festivals as well while a chef selling food and I do like that sort of quick chit chat relevant to the produce.
    It is unlikely people start telling me about their drunk antics in the Bodega on a Saturday evening.
    I realise the anxiety might be a problem as I'm not comfortable with large crowds of people but I have to do the same in any kind of job and I cope well enough with it while giving tours.
    The problem I have is for example that working in an office people gossip about others all the time which makes me quite paranoid and I don't like that sort of frivolous and irrelevant chit chat.
    On the other hand I do love going to markets and discussing their produce with vendors. For example I do love going to the Dungarvan Brewery and discuss brewing processes and flavours with the brewers but I would not do good if I would go there and discuss the capricorn star sign.
    I might come across as a bit quirky maybe at markets but it's all about the produce and I know that side of the business I would have no problem with. At the moment I often make spicy chutneys, beers, breads, sauces etcetera for friends and they all keep coming back for more.
    My mother in law sells chutneys at local shops in County Waterford and I'm sure they would have no problem selling my products there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

This book would be great for you http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1781190909?pc_redir=1404192216&robot_redir=1 it will answer all your questions and on the plus side it's an Irish author so all the relevant rules and regulations.

bizzyb wrote: »
    This book would be great for you http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1781190909?pc_redir=1404192216&robot_redir=1 it will answer all your questions and on the plus side it's an Irish author so all the relevant rules and regulations.

Thanks for that. Definitely the kind of book I'm looking for

So read the book....which was very helpful
    Mace another batch of 1000 bottles and ordered another 1000 bottles and a local farmer will deliver 20 litres of milk for nothing.
    Next challenge is too fill 1000 bottles month and label them and get a foothold on markets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement