Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best players to have played in the premiership?

• 12-07-2014 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭

So as the title says, who are the best players to have played in the Prem and it can include players that didn't set the Prem alight but would have been considered one of the best after or before, for me It's:

1. C Ronaldo
    2. Henry

Top two are pretty easy, not sure who to put after that, drogba possibly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Are you going for est players or goal scorers?
    Best players as in all round players id put Paul scoles up there as one of the best with Gerard and lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Big Keane shaped hole in the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Are you going for est players or goal scorers?
    Best players as in all round players id put PauIt scoles up there as one of the best with Gerard and lampard.

Best players, as in a player that has played in the Prem and could make the world's best eleven but in order too so I think it will goal scorer heavy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Liam O wrote: »
    Big Keane shaped hole in the OP.

I think Robbie is a level below to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

JT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Everyone's opinions will vary but for me the best 4 would be as follows.

Paul Scholes (Only real top class central midfielder England have produced since Gaza

Roy Keane

Bergkamp

Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Viera

Shay given

Steven Gerrard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

The three best players to have played in the Premier League are Cristiano Ronaldo, Thierry Henry and Luis Suarez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Alan Shearer. 260+ goals. A record not likely to be broken any time soon. Amazing centre forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The best keeper was Schmeichel, the best defender was Ferdinand, the best midfielder was Keane, the best forward was Henry, and the best player was Ronaldo. Fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Thierry Henry and Cristiano Ronaldo are definitely unarguable choices. After that I'd say Scholes, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Campbell, Drogba, Schmeichel, Bergkamp, and Viera, and maybe Keane too, are all contenders for the next few spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Bergkamp

</thread>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

The best keeper was Schmeichel, the best defender was Ferdinand, the best midfielder was Keane, the best forward was Henry, and the best player was Ronaldo. Fact.
    It really wasn't.

Also, contrary to what you might think, writing "Fact" at the end of your post makes it look less credible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Thierry Henry and Cristiano Ronaldo are definitely unarguable choices. After that I'd say Scholes, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Campbell, Drogba, Schmeichel, Bergkamp, and Viera, and maybe Keane too, are all contenders for the next few spots.

Suarez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Liverpool fan here

Players I liked to watch -

Zola
    Shearer
    Gerrard
    Giggs
    Scholes
    Schmeichel
    Terry
    Bergkamp
    Henry
    Lampard

And big names that failed imo. .

Schevchenko
    Hernan crespo

Best ever - controversial but id say luis suarez but I would be biased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Jaysus,Ferdinand the best defender?pays to be media friendly I suppose!

I'd have Martin Keown, Sol Campbell,Marcel Desailly,John Terry and Sami Hyypia well ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

Gk - Schmeichel
    Lb - Ashley Cole
    Rb - G. Neville
    Cb - Adams
    Cb - Vidic
    Ml - Giggs
    MR - C.Ronaldo
    Cm - Keane
    Cm - Scholes
    St - Henry
    St - Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

aha_sender wrote: »
    Gk - Schmeichel
    Lb - Ashley Cole
    Rb - G. Neville
    Cb - Adams
    Cb - Vidic
    Ml - Giggs
    MR - C.Ronaldo
    Cm - Keane
    Cm - Scholes
    St - Henry
    St - Drogba

Drogba ahead of Suarez/Shearer?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I'd have Martin Keown, Sol Campbell,Marcel Desailly,John Terry and Sami Hyypia well ahead of him.

Haha no.

Ferdinand was far better than them in his prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I liked watching Alonso at Liverpool. A super player.

Zola and Adams I admired when younger.

Bergkamp though was one who really stood out.

Paul McGrath deserves mention as does Steve Finnan who was very inderrated imo.

• Advertisement

Some laughable choices there. Hyypia isn't in the top 20 PL defenders. Keown either, Desailly was far better for France than he ever was for Chelsea. Anyone who doesn't think Ferdinand was amongst the best is clueless tbh.

Was a tough choice for me but his impact was massive. Was almost unplayable at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Suarez is nowhere near it!

Shearer though ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FlushBang2013

Robbie Fowler
    Ian Rush
    Giggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Ruud Gullit deserves a mention. Only came to the prem in the twilight of his career, but had been one of the best of his generation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

The English media hated Ferdinand just like they don't like the majority of players who are calm and composed on the ball who give off a vibe of laziness. They much prefer 'passion' and 'last ditch tackles etc like Terry.

You obviously just don't like Ferdinand so never appreciated how good he was which is proved by a few of the shocking names you included in your list of players 'well ahead' of him.

Best player for club
    Arsenal - Henry
    Bolton - Jay Jay Okocha
    Chelsea - Drogba
    Liverpool - Gerrard
    Man u - Ronaldo
    Spurs - Bale
    Southampton - Matt Le Tissier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

The player from the team that I support that was good when I was at an impressionable age.
    Ian Wright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Zola, Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Scholes are players from the PREMIER LEAGUE ERA that I like.

It really wasn't.

Also, contrary to what you might think, writing "Fact" at the end of your post makes it look less credible.

It really was. FACT!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Liam O wrote: »
    Some laughable choices there. Hyypia isn't in the top 20 PL defenders. Keown either

Who's the top 20 PL defenders then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Matt Le Tissier
    Juninho
    Georgi Kinkladze
    Steve McManaman
    Thierry Henry

That would be 5 of my list anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭e30fitz

Cantona has to get at least a mention best player to play off the main striker Imo closely followed by bergkamp

Honourable mention : Juninho Paulista was amazing.

Ronaldo was only great for his last prem season. When he went to Madrid became incredible but those seasons should not be used to judge his premiership career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

shutup wrote: »
    Honourable mention : Juninho Paulista was amazing.

Ronaldo was only great for his last prem season. When he went to Madrid became incredible but those seasons should not be used to judge his premiership career.

The question in the OP is who are the best to have played in the prem, irrespective of whether the their time in England was before or after their best years.

8-10 wrote: »
    Who's the top 20 PL defenders then?

Bruce, Pallister, Vidic, Ferdinand, Stam, Adams, Carvalho, Terry, Kompany, Campbell, Toure off the very top of my head, my memory of anything not United from the 90s is foggy so I'm sure there's some from there I'm forgetting but all of the above have something that Hyypia doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

This is my team. I know it will likely get pulled up for being United heavy but these are probably the best players i've watched week in week out

___________________Gk - Schmeichel_____________________

Rb - G. Neville____Cb - Vidic _____Cb -Terry ____Lb - Ashley Cole

______________Cm - Keane_____ Cm - Vieira_________________

____________________Cm - Scholes_________________________

Fw - C.Ronaldo________Fw - Van Nistelrooy__________Fw - Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Suarez is nowhere near it!

Shearer though ya.

I know goal a game last season numerous assists pfa player of the year. Just moved for 75 million it makes no sense whatsoever to include him in the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Bergkamp
    Henry
    Scholes
    Shearer
    Ronaldo
    Zola
    Giggs
    Gerrard
    Kompany
    Viera

that 10. plenty more who would be up there too. I couldn't stomach writing the name John Terry in that list but he probably deserves a place :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

This is my team. I know it will likely get pulled up for being United heavy but these are probably the best players i've watched week in week out

___________________Gk - Schmeichel_____________________

Rb - G. Neville____Cb - Vidic _____Cb -Terry ____Lb - Ashley Cole

______________Cm - Keane_____ Cm - Vieira_________________

____________________Cm - Scholes_________________________

Fw - C.Ronaldo________Fw - Van Nistelrooy__________Fw - Henry

It's hardly surprising that a lot of the best players in each position played for a team that absolutely dominated the Premier League era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I think if Suarez stayed on for another few seasons we would be talking about him in the top 3 to have played in the league. He left after his first truly outstanding season, that's not to say he wasn't brilliant until then.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The question in the OP is who are the best to have played in the prem, irrespective of whether the their time in England was before or after their best years.

If that's the case then ronaldo is the best ever.
    However I don't think that's what he meant. Questions like this are generally meant to mean who did the best in the premiership. By your reasoning messi could play 45 mins when he is 40 and be the best prem player of all time.

I suppose we are all entitled to view it as we want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Suarez undoubtedly top, Clint Dempsey. Hard to think after that.

You do realise Ronaldo scored 42 goals in his 2nd last season at United, don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I think if Suarez stayed on for another few seasons we would be talking about him in the top 3 to have played in the league. He left after his first truly outstanding season, that's not to say he wasn't brilliant until then.

You say it as if he moved years ago. If he isn't being talked about as part of a top 3 because he only had one outstanding season what difference does yesterday's transfer make? He hasn't had the chance to have another outstanding season either way.

If we're just talking PL seasons then the same argument could be made for Ronaldo. Was on another planet for 07/08, and while still very impressive and still being the best performer, in the seasons either side of that he wasn't at the same level (like Suarez 12/13).
    If that's the case then ronaldo is the best ever.
    However I don't think that's what he meant. Questions like this are generally meant to mean who did the best in the premiership. By your reasoning messi could play 45 mins when he is 40 and be the best prem player of all time.

I suppose we are all entitled to view it as we want.

Based off the OP, Messi would be a fair pick even in that scenario. It's more 'Best players to have played the premier league, who weren't necessarily any good while in the premier league'.
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    So as the title says, who are the best players to have played in the Prem and it can include players that didn't set the Prem alight but would have been considered one of the best after or before,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Lampard!
    Drogba!
    and in a few years
    Hazard!

By your reasoning messi could play 45 mins when he is 40 and be the best prem player of all time.

If that ever does happen, I hope to fcuk it's a stormer at Stoke to put to bed the "but could he do it on a wet night in Stoke" hilarity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Panthro wrote: »
    Lampard!
    Drogba!
    and in a few years
    Hazard!

Anymore Chelsea players you wanna throw in there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement