Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best players to have played in the premiership?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My 2 favourite players, primarily for how simple the made the game look:

Dennis Bergkamp
    Henrik Larsson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Anymore Chelsea players you wanna throw in there?

Zola!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Are people forgetting the legend that was faustino asprilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Justice for Adrian Mutu!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Andre Santos and Jan Krompkamp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Suarez is the best player I've ever seen live.

Id pick Henry though due to his consistency over a number of seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

For the few years he was at United Andrei Kanchelskis was magnificent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Liam O wrote: »
    Bruce, Pallister, Vidic, Ferdinand, Stam, Adams, Carvalho, Terry, Kompany, Campbell, Toure off the very top of my head, my memory of anything not United from the 90s is foggy so I'm sure there's some from there I'm forgetting but all of the above have something that Hyypia doesn't.

That's 11. I'm not saying he should be in your top 20 as it's your opinion but it's hard to take an argument seriously if you can't even name 20. Do you rank him above or below Carragher out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Technically speaking, nobody comes close to Bergkamp. What a man.

I'll go for a team:

Schemichel
    Neville
    Ferdinand
    Terry---Irwin
    Keane--Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Pires
    Bergkamp

Henry

Front line is Arsenal-heavy, but I couldn't have anyone else. Shearer had the longevity, but nowhere near the skill of Henry.

Honourables:

Cech
    Stam
    A. Cole
    Zola
    Van Nistelrooy
    Suarez
    Lampard
    Gerrard
    Vieira
    Desailly
    Campbell
    Shearer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

You say it as if he moved years ago. If he isn't being talked about as part of a top 3 because he only had one outstanding season what difference does yesterday's transfer make? He hasn't had the chance to have another outstanding season either way.

If we're just talking PL seasons then the same argument could be made for Ronaldo. Was on another planet for 07/08, and while still very impressive and still being the best performer, in the seasons either side of that he wasn't at the same level (like Suarez 12/13)

I didn't take much notice of the OP to be honest. Going by that you're right, he could still be considered in the top 3 but maybe in a few more years if he continues the way he's going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Eric Cantona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

8-10 wrote: »
    That's 11. I'm not saying he should be in your top 20 as it's your opinion but it's hard to take an argument seriously if you can't even name 20. Do you rank him above or below Carragher out of interest?

As I said it was just off the top of my head and without looking too hard. He was better than Carragher but Carragher was around longer so overall they are probably even. Regardless, Hyypia belongs nowhere near this thread, same with Carragher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

As I said it was just off the top of my head and without looking too hard. He was better than Carragher but Carragher was around longer so overall they are probably even. Regardless, Hyypia belongs nowhere near this thread, same with Carragher.
    Finann and Adams and k toure are miles better then carragher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

You do realise Ronaldo scored 42 goals in his 2nd last season at United, don't you?

I do now thanks. He had two great seasons so, enough to be remembered as a premiership great. What's he's done since has been ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thats the best team I can think of.

Schmeichel
    Irwin
    Adams
    Terry
    Cole
    Keane
    Viera
    Gerrard
    Ronaldo
    Shearer
    Henry

Subs: Seaman, Dixon, Stam, Lampard, Zola, Rooney, RVP

There are lots of contenders who have not spent enough time in the Premier league and I wouldn't include them because for me when you are picking a team like this they must have had a consistently impressive impact over a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

eagle eye wrote: »
    There are lots of contenders who have not spent enough time in the Premier league and I wouldn't include them because for me when you are picking a team like this they must have had a consistently impressive impact over a few years.

But the thread isn't best Premiership players, rather best players to have played in the Premiership. Big difference.

For example Brian Laudrup, Jari Litmanen, Henrik Larsson, Ian Rush and Shevchenko are examples of players who either didn't do well or spend long in the Premiership but were seriously good players in their own right. Not saying they should be included but showing the difference in the wording.

Actually to be honest Litmanen would be pushing for being included. He's one of Europe's finest players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Bruce, Pallister, Vidic, Ferdinand, Stam, Adams, Carvalho, Terry, Kompany, Campbell, Toure off the very top of my head, my memory of anything not United from the 90s is foggy so I'm sure there's some from there I'm forgetting but all of the above have something that Hyypia doesn't.

You could edit the "from the 90's " bit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

shutup wrote: »
    I do now thanks. He had two great seasons so, enough to be remembered as a premiership great. What's he's done since has been ridiculous.

Now now, lets not forget that he scored 23 goals for United in his 3rd last season as well. At the age of 20/21 no less.

You could edit the "from the 90's " bit :pac:

By my count there's 5 United, 3 Arsenal, 2 Chelsea and 1 City. Is that not adequate representation given how the PL has gone since it began?

By my count there's 5 United, 3 Arsenal, 2 Chelsea and 1 City. Is that not adequate representation given how the PL has gone since it began?

It was a joke not just aimed at you but the fact that most cant but show bias when posting opinions. Apologies if any offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think there is only 3 players that have graced to premiership that you could say were among the very very best on the planet.

Henry
    Ronaldo
    Suarez

Just using one player as an example - Shearer is was a fantastic striker and has a great goalscoring record and deserves to be in any mans all time premier league team but at no stage was he ever among the very very best players in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I think there is only 3 players that have graced to premiership that you could say were among the very very best on the planet.

Henry
    Ronaldo
    Suarez

Just using one player as an example - Shearer is was a fantastic striker and has a great goalscoring record and deserves to be in any mans all time premier league team but at no stage was he ever among the very very best players in the world

Suarez?

What a joke.:D

If you include Suarez then Rooney, RVP, Drogba, Bergkamp, Cantona and a bunch of others get in, you know, players who've scored in CL KO rounds and that's before I get into Keane dragging United past Zidane's Juventus et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

If you include Suarez then Rooney, RVP, Drogba, Bergkamp, Cantona and a bunch of others get in, you know, players who've scored in CL KO rounds and that's before I get into Keane dragging United past Zidane's Juventus et al.

Suarez is currently in the top 3 player in the world none of the above were imo

No he is not.

He had a good season with Liverpool but won nothing and then played one good game at the World Cup.

There's actually quite a few players who've managed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Don't think anybody but Pool fans is claiming that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Henry would be up there as the best ever

Zico wrote: »
    No he is not.

He had a good season with Liverpool but won nothing and then played one good game at the World Cup.

There's actually quite a few players who've managed that.

He was the best player in the league the fact he won nothing makes no difference. Even though he won the golden boot and player of the year. He only played 2 games at the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Barring the obvious 2 no one in the world is ahead of Suarez on current form. Anyone who can't accept that Is deluded.

Pointing out he's not up there cause he hasn't scored in champions league knock out rounds is the equivalent of saying George Best was muck cause he never scored in the world cup.

Gob****e behaviour

He was the best player in the league the fact he won nothing makes no difference. He only played 2 games at the world cup.

I don't disagree.

If he had been a bit better he might have won something.

None of which makes him one of the 3 best players in the World.

Anyway the OP relates to the best players to have played in the Premier League and Suarez is not even the best Uruguyan striker to have played in the Premier League. Diego Forlan has had much better career to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    Barring the obvious 2 no one in the world is ahead of Suarez on current form. Anyone who can't accept that Is deluded.

Pointing out he's not up there cause he hasn't scored in champions league knock out rounds is the equivalent of saying George Best was muck cause he never scored in the world cup.

Gob****e behaviour

Calm down there love.

I don't disagree.

Anyway the OP relates to the best players to have played in the Premier League and Suarez is not even the best Uruguyan striker to have played in the Premier League. Diego Forlan has had much better career to date.

Fair enough if you dont think he is in the top 3 in the world but are you really saying forlan is better than suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Here is a left field mention

John Barnes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I don't disagree.

792.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Fair enough if you dont think he is in the top 3 in the world but are you really saying forlan is better than suarez.

If Suarez doesn't bomb at Barcelona or get himself banned for life he may eclipse Forlan some day but if he retired tomorrow Forlan would be remembered as the better player.

Diego Forlan is a World Cup Golden Ball winner in case anyone forgets.

Suarez has nothing but shameful episodes on his cv.

If Suarez doesn't bomb at Barcelona or get himself banned for life he may eclipse Forlan some day but if he retired tomorrow Forlan would be remembered as the better player.

Diego Forlan is a World Cup Golden Ball winner in case anyone forgets.

Suarez has nothing but shameful episodes on his cv.
    This place never ceases to amaze me.
    I know your on a wind up but really your embarassing yourself with this nonsense. Im sure you didnt see too much off suarez last year as you were probably hiding behind the couch for a lot of the season but look its okay you can come out now you dont have to worry about him anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

8-10 wrote: »
    But the thread isn't best Premiership players, rather best players to have played in the Premiership. Big difference.

For example Brian Laudrup, Jari Litmanen, Henrik Larsson, Ian Rush and Shevchenko are examples of players who either didn't do well or spend long in the Premiership but were seriously good players in their own right. Not saying they should be included but showing the difference in the wording.

Actually to be honest Litmanen would be pushing for being included. He's one of Europe's finest players.
    Oh my bad, I didn't read the op.

In that case I'd have to have a few changes.

Schmeichel
    Panucci
    Desailly
    Hierro
    Irwin
    Alonso
    Deschamps
    Gullit
    Ronaldo
    Eto'o
    Shevchenko

This place never ceases to amaze me.
    I know your on a wind up but really your embarassing yourself with this nonsense. Im sure you didnt see too much off suarez last year as you were probably hiding behind the couch for a lot of the season but look its okay you can come out now you dont have to worry about him anymore.

You appear to be the one doing the winding up.

There have been more seasons in football than the one just gone, lot's more. If you are too young to remember then you should try looking up some compilations on that YouTube thingy. :)

• Advertisement

You appear to be the one doing the winding up.

There have been more seasons in football than the one just gone, lot's more. If you are too young to remember then you should try looking up some compilations on that YouTube thingy. :)

I can remember the season before aswell which is impressive as Im nearly 40 now. Try not to let your hate get in the way of rational football opinions.

I can remember the season before aswell which is impressive as Im nearly 40 now. Try not to let your hate get in the way of rational football opinions.

I'm not the one baiting people about hiding behind couches, so I'm a bit surprised to hear you're in your 30s but not at all surprised that you're being hypocritical.;)

I'm not the one baiting people about hiding behind couches, so I'm a bit surprised to hear you're in your 30s but not at all surprised that you're being hypocritical.;)

goodnight zico its not just the current brazilian team thats forgotten everything they used to know about football.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

I'll be completely spurs bias and say Bale and Modric should surely get a mention. Modric especially. Top class player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'll be completely spurs bias and say Bale and Modric should surely get a mention. Modric especially. Top class player

Modric wouldn't get a look in a midfield. He's got a lot better since leaving Spurs. But that's about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Here is a left field mention

John Barnes

Was he pre premiership?!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Serious lack of Beardsley in this thread and for that reason, you are all wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He was the best player in the league the fact he won nothing makes no difference. Even though he won the golden boot and player of the year. He only played 2 games at the world cup.

So why could he not score against the top six?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It was a joke not just aimed at you but the fact that most cant but show bias when posting opinions. Apologies if any offence.

Including yourself so there's not much point in bringing it up.

So why could he not score against the top six?

He scored against Everton and spurs was motm away at city and was unbelievable at home to arsenal despite not scoring. He also scored at old Trafford. The only team he struggled against last year was Chelsea however he did score 2 when up against cahill at the world cup. I'm sure you dont base all your football opinion on whether a player scores a goal in a game or not.For example a few years back kuyt scored a hat trick again utd but anyone that watched the game would know that suarez was the key player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement