Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best players to have played in the premiership?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Including yourself so there's not much point in bringing it up.

Possibly not half as much as a lot of the wind up merchants from all teams on here though. I am capable of giving an opinion without letting club bias get in the way a lot of people aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Possibly not half as much as a lot of the wind up merchants from all teams on here though. I am capable of giving an opinion without letting club bias get in the way a lot of people aren't.

Meh, that thread you started yesterday and the criteria you used was to shoehorn Suarez in?
    Who would pick a greatest Premier League team ever based on the best single season only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

This is the problem. Every eejit thinks this.

I am fully aware that my opinions are going to be Arsenal biased. This is primarily because most of the game I watch are Arsenal games, so I'm more familiar with Arsenal players, and see them do more impressive things, so I am more likely to rate them highly as a result.

Meh, that thread you started yesterday and the criteria you used was to shoehorn Suarez in?
    Who would pick a greatest Premier League team ever best on 1 season?

The criteria for this thread is even more vague. Some people could argue suarez was the best player in the league the previous season as well but certainly over the past 2 seasons overall he has been the best player in the league. So I picked 1 Liverpool player in a best eleven and 4 or 5 utd players and that makes me biased. Why did I not fit in Gerrard or alonso so it's because I can form a football opinion without having the blinkers on.Did it ever dawn on you that maybe I just think that suarez is a special player. If we want to take about interpreting a thread title to suit your needs it's your Juan mata signing of the season interpretation that sticks out. By the way I also defended people picking utd top heavy teams in that thread as well .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

It has to be Ronaldo.

There are other candidates (e.g. Henry) but Ronaldo's the greatest player to have played in the Premiership.

This is the problem. Every eejit thinks this.

I am fully aware that my opinions are going to be Arsenal biased. This is primarily because most of the game I watch are Arsenal games, so I'm more familiar with Arsenal players, and see them do more impressive things, so I am more likely to rate them highly as a result.

I'm also aware of this its human nature but some people are so obviously blinded by their club colours it's laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Was he pre premiership?!!

Yes, he played in the premiership but obviously he played pre-premiership too! Unbelievable player

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The case for Drogba. Arriving at Chelsea on the back of one prolific season for Marseille, 24 million pounds seemed quite steep for a 27 year old striker with only one outstanding goalscoring season under his belt. His signing proved to be decisive in the most successful period in the history of Chelsea FC.

His scoring record, though relatively impressive, only tells half the story. Never has there been a lone striker more complete than the Ivorian. A powerhouse, with real speed across the ground, a remarkable knack for winning headers, silky technique that defied his "monster" billing and with a taste for the extravagant on the biggest stages, around Drogba each Chelsea manager built their sides.

The great man was pure box office, jaw-dropping skill blended with raw physicality, Hollywood charisma and the enduring sense that each game would end either on the back of a moment of Drogba magic or a Drogba sized implosion. He is, in my opinion, Chelsea's greatest ever player, the man who delivered the holy grail and much silverware with it, the best lone striker you could ever hope to find and the best player to ever play in the Premier League.

Drogba was fantastic but he's no Cristiano Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

It has to be Ronaldo.

There are other candidates (e.g. Henry) but Ronaldo's the greatest player to have played in the Premiership.

It's been those two.

They are miles ahead of everyone that has played in the prem, Henry was the best striker in the world for 5 years straight and Ronaldo was tearing the league up in his last 2 years, sadly he left in his prime (23)

They are both the blue print of the perfect modern day striker, they have all the physical gifts and are technically exceptional, they are both unique.

Ronaldo can score every type of goal, while Henry is unmatched in terms of raw physical power and sheer pace, the man was a beast in his prime, as fast as any player that has ever played, while being 6'2 and as strong as any CB.

Consistently scored goal 30 goals a season and made 15 assists in the prem.

If he had went to Spain at 23 like Ronaldo he would have too been talked about as of the best ever, instead he went past his prime at 28/29.

• Advertisement

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    It's been those two.

They are miles ahead of everyone that has played in the prem, Henry was the best striker in the world for 5 years straight and Ronaldo was tearing the league up in his last 2 years, sadly he left in his prime (23)

They are both the blue print of the perfect modern day striker, they have all the physical gifts and are technically exceptional, they are both unique.

Ronaldo can score every type of goal, while Henry is unmatched in terms of raw physical power and sheer pace, the man was a beast in his prime, as fast as any player that has ever played, while being 6'2 and as strong as any CB.

Consistently scored goal 30 goals a season and made 15 assists in the prem.

If he had went to Spain at 23 like Ronaldo he would have too been talked about as of the best ever, instead he went past his prime at 28/29.

I agree.

The fact that Ronaldo has won two Ballon D'Ors while Henry has won none makes sense though. He is just that little bit better.

The criteria for this thread is even more vague. Some people could argue suarez was the best player in the league the previous season as well but certainly over the past 2 seasons overall he has been the best player in the league. So I picked 1 Liverpool player in a best eleven and 4 or 5 utd players and that makes me biased. Why did I not fit in Gerrard or alonso so it's because I can form a football opinion without having the blinkers on.Did it ever dawn on you that maybe I just think that suarez is a special player. If we want to take about interpreting a thread title to suit your needs it's your Juan mata signing of the season interpretation that sticks out. By the way I also defended people picking utd top heavy teams in that thread as well .

I'm not the one claiming to be unbiased at every opportunity, I'll hold my hand up and admit I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I'm also aware of this its human nature but some people are so obviously blinded by their club colours it's laughable.

You're worse than the most foaming mouthed one eyed fan, at least they have the courage of their conviction.

You're pretending to be neutral with a passing affinity for Liverpool FC, but when the mask slips you just look foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Was he pre premiership?!!

Played in old 1st division and Premier league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Played in old 1st division and Premier league

It's interesting how few of the names in this thread are English actually. Ask the same question about La Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga in the same time-period and I reckon you'd a lot more home grown names

Barnes definitely up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

8-10 wrote: »
    It's interesting how few of the names in this thread are English actually. Ask the same question about La Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga in the same time-period and I reckon you'd a lot more home grown names

Barnes definitely up there

I think it is more people forgetting players who played in both football league old 1st division and premier league like Matt LeTissier and Beardsley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Anyone who's mentioned Keane is seriously deluded, fantastic player however.

For me, Ronaldo is number one, followed by Suarez, Shearer, Henry and Scholes (not in that order).

Macavity. wrote: »
    Anyone who's mentioned Keane is seriously deluded, fantastic player however.

For me, Ronaldo is number one, followed by Suarez, Shearer, Henry and Scholes.

Anyone who mentions Suarez is seriously deluded. I can play that card too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Anyone who mentions Suarez is seriously deluded. I can play that card too.

You can, but the difference is you would be wrong.

• Advertisement

Macavity. wrote: »
    You can, but the difference is you would be wrong.

[Kenny C]At this particular moment in time,[Kenny C] Suarez hasn't done enough to be considered the greatest player to have played in the league. Maybe in a few years time if he continues the way he's going.
    Nothing too outlandish or wrong about that statement if you are to look at it objectively, like nobody on this site.

Zico wrote: »
    You're worse than the most foaming mouthed one eyed fan, at least they have the courage of their conviction.

You're pretending to be neutral with a passing affinity for Liverpool FC, but when the mask slips you just look foolish.

What have I said in this thread that is so biased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ronaldo, Henry and Bergkamp for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Not great at Chelsea but played premier league :/ sort funny criteria tbh .

What about Didier Deschamps ?

Former Juventus defensive midfielder Didier Deschamps won major club honours in three different countries during his lengthy career. Along with Ligue 1 and Serie A titles, he lifted the Champions League twice (once with Marseille, once with Juventus), an Intercontinental Cup, UEFA Super Cup, UEFA Intertoto Cup, Coppa Italia and FA Cup (with Chelsea). Additionally, he picked up the World Cup and European Championship with France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

2 decent seasons in the premiership = Greatest ever.

Shearer performed at Suarez's level for near 15 years fs... Didn't even have to bite any defenders while doing it either and has a league title to show for it. At best he's in the top 10 strikers to play in the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Magill wrote: »

Shearer performed at Suarez's level for near 15 years fs... Didn't even have to bite any defenders while doing it either and has a league title to show for it. At best he's in the top 10 strikers to play in the premiership.

I thought the thread was about the best players to have played in the premiership?

For instance George Weah played in the Premiership. George Weah was better than Shearer. So George Weah can be described as one of the best players to have played in the Premiership.

If your talking about the Premierships greatest ever players then Shearer is way ahead of Weah.

That's my understanding of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

For instance George Weah played in the Premiership. George Weah was better than Shearer. So George Weah can be described as one of the best players to have played in the Premiership.

If your talking about the Premierships greatest ever players then Shearer is way ahead of Weah.

^^This^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Henry was better than Ronaldo in the Premiership, when you look at their whole time here. No question about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The case for Drogba. Arriving at Chelsea on the back of one prolific season for Marseille, 24 million pounds seemed quite steep for a 27 year old striker with only one outstanding goalscoring season under his belt. His signing proved to be decisive in the most successful period in the history of Chelsea FC.

His scoring record, though relatively impressive, only tells half the story. Never has there been a lone striker more complete than the Ivorian. A powerhouse, with real speed across the ground, a remarkable knack for winning headers, silky technique that defied his "monster" billing and with a taste for the extravagant on the biggest stages, around Drogba each Chelsea manager built their sides.

The great man was pure box office, jaw-dropping skill blended with raw physicality, Hollywood charisma and the enduring sense that each game would end either on the back of a moment of Drogba magic or a Drogba sized implosion. He is, in my opinion, Chelsea's greatest ever player, the man who delivered the holy grail and much silverware with it, the best lone striker you could ever hope to find and the best player to ever play in the Premier League.

He was also fairly inconsistent.

His first two seasons were fairly average.

His third season was very good.

He scored 13 league goals throughout his entire 4th and 5th seasons combined.

He was great in his 6th season, by far his best.

Then another 16 league goals throughout his 7th and 8th seasons (a glut of these came at the beginning of the 7th one)

At his best, he was undoubtedly a great striker and his all round game was second to none. But he went through far too many spells of being average to be compared to Ronaldo, Henry etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Fescue wrote: »
    I thought the thread was about the best players to have played in the premiership?

I've never had the pleasure of watching George weah in his prime, so I can't really comment on shearer vs weah... Either way... My point still stands that shearer > Suarez. Suarez is a great player, but he's someone that is fresh in peoples minds. This time last year Rvp was the best striker in the world because of a couple of decent seasons. Shearer performed at that level for 15 years.

Many in 6 years I'll change my mind, he has the potential no doubt.. Just hasn't reached that level of yet imo.

Also, I don't even think shearer is the best striker to grace the premiership. That title belongs to Henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

If you're basing it just on time spent in the league, which everyone should, it's Henry without question...Shearer, Giggs and Bergkamp would be next for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Blatter wrote: »
    He was also fairly inconsistent.

His first two seasons were fairly average.

His third season was very good.

He scored 13 league goals throughout his entire 4th and 5th seasons combined.

He was great in his 6th season, by far his best.

Then another 16 league goals throughout his 7th and 8th seasons (a glut of these came at the beginning of the 7th one)

At his best, he was undoubtedly a great striker and his all round game was second to none. But he went through far too many spells of being average to be compared to Ronaldo, Henry etc.

As I said, it's remarkably unfair to measure his contributions purely on goals, there is no Chelsea fan who would measure what he has done for Chelsea based on his goalscoring record. He was a massive figure for the club, key in turning the club from being nearly fans with newly acquired money to being a winning machine with he as the figurehead.

Suarez is an incredible talent but his inclusion in this thread is preposterous. Last season he was outstanding and earned his move to Barcelona but he has neither the longevity or the trophy haul to warrant inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

I never understood the fuss about George Weah. He was spectacular but totally unreliable. He played a lot like Mario Balotelli, without make an ass of himself in public, and I think most teams at the time would have signed Shearer over Weah given the chance.

Shearer kinda ****ed himself by signing for Newcastle Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

As I said, it's remarkably unfair to measure his contributions purely on goals, there is no Chelsea fan who would measure what he has done for Chelsea based on his goalscoring record.
    He was a striker first and foremost, so it's completely fair to measure him on goals.
    He was a massive figure for the club, key in turning the club from being nearly fans with newly acquired money to being a winning machine with he as the figurehead.
    This is just vague nonsense. How was he actually better than the far better at goalscoring van Nistelrooy, who didn't have a bad season at United and won plenty while he was at it?

Have read back through the thread one poster suggested suarez is the best player to have played in the premiership he also referenced Clint dempsey. Some posters have listed suarez as one of the better players to have played in the league an opinion I'd share ronaldo and Henry the best for me. Some posters have great issue with this and say suarez should be nowhere near the discussion although he seems to be the main player amongst a lot of players mentioned getting this treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You think scoring 30 league goals is only having a decent season. What would it take for a great season. 40 or 50 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

McGrath only got one mention in the whole thread so far.

Shocking

LeBash wrote: »
    McGrath only got one mention in the whole thread so far.

Shocking

This again?

FFS

niallo27 wrote: »
    You think scoring 30 league goals is only having a decent season. What would it take for a great season. 40 or 50 goals.

Andy Cole got 34 for Newcastle and Kevin Phillips got 30 for Sunderland, but I'd be happy enough to include Suarez in that bracket of player.

I feel sorry for Michael Owen. He was the best player in world, according to Liverpool fans, once now he doesn't even get a mention. That's the fickle world of football fans, Suarez will be forgotten too when the next shiny thing comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bergkamp's the best of them all for me.

• Advertisement

The title of the thread is "Best players to have played in the Premiership".

George Weah is therefore a good shout.

Ronaldo's definitely numero uno though.

Have read back through the thread one poster suggested suarez is the best player to have played in the premiership he also referenced Clint dempsey

First page of the thread has a post claiming Suarez as the best player to have ever played in the league.

The difference with every other player mentioned in this thread is that they all played at the top level for many years. Suarez has 3 full seasons in what's considered a top league.
    That goes against him massively in the argument.

First page of the thread has a post claiming Suarez as the best player to have ever played in the league.

The difference with every other player mentioned in this thread is that they all played at the top level for many years. Suarez has 3 full seasons in what's considered a top league.
    That goes against him massively in the argument.
    That poster quoted 3 players he never said suarez was the best player. Another poster above that mentioned shay given and nobody batted an eyelid.

That poster quoted 3 players he never said suarez was the best player
    Liverpool fan here

Players I liked to watch -

Zola
    Shearer
    Gerrard
    Giggs
    Scholes
    Schmeichel
    Terry
    Bergkamp
    Henry
    Lampard

And big names that failed imo. .

Schevchenko
    Hernan crespo

Best ever - controversial but id say luis suarez but I would be biased

???

At least he admits his bias ;)

Henry, Bergkamp, Ronaldo and Suarez

???

At least he admits his bias ;)

On my phone that was coming up on my second page and I missed it so okay 1 person and turtyturd has said best player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

As I said, it's remarkably unfair to measure his contributions purely on goals, there is no Chelsea fan who would measure what he has done for Chelsea based on his goalscoring record. He was a massive figure for the club, key in turning the club from being nearly fans with newly acquired money to being a winning machine with he as the figurehead.

Suarez is an incredible talent but his inclusion in this thread is preposterous. Last season he was outstanding and earned his move to Barcelona but he has neither the longevity or the trophy haul to warrant inclusion.

Tbh going on your criteria it could well be argued Suarez is better.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Van Nistelrooy wouldn't be a bad shout in preference to Suarez. At least as many goals a season but for a longer period with more silverware and no controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mentioning Suarez is this thread is hilariously deluded, one good season syndrome is hitting Liverpool fans hard

Best players to have ever played in the PL?

Bergkamp, Henry, Scholes, Cantona, Lampard, Gerrard, JT, Ferdinand to name a few. Best of them all is the current best player in the world, Ronaldo, was special at such a young age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Didn't have to bite anyone, just throw the regular elbow and the occasional boot in the face.

Advertisement