Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best players to have played in the premiership?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Mentioning Suarez is this thread is hilariously deluded, one good season syndrome is hitting Liverpool fans hard

Best players to have ever played in the PL?

Bergkamp, Henry, Scholes, Cantona, Lampard, Gerrard, JT, Ferdinand to name a few. Best of them all is the current best player in the world, Ronaldo, was special at such a young age.

Except that it wasn't one good season. He hit the ground running and just got better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Mentioning Suarez is this thread is hilariously deluded, one good season syndrome is hitting Liverpool fans hard

One good season? Do you follow football, lad? His stats speak for themselves. Even before he joined Liverpool he had quite a record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Best players to have ever played in the PL?

Bergkamp, Henry, Scholes, Cantona, Lampard, Gerrard, JT, Ferdinand to name a few. Best of them all is the current best player in the world, Ronaldo, was special at such a young age.

So a guy who is the 3rd most expensive signing in the history of football can't be considered amongst the best players to have played in the Premiership?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Fescue wrote: »
    So a guy who is the 3rd most expensive signing in the history of football can't be considered amongst the best players to have played in the Premiership?

He'd be part of the discussion but nowhere near the top in my view.

The racism and cannabilism can't be ignored either...they colour things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

To answer the odd Q in the OP, Samuel Eto'o has to be mentioned. He was largely awful for Chelsea though.

• Advertisement

He'd be part of the discussion but nowhere near the top in my view.

I'm not a big fan of Suarez behaviour, not in the slightest.

But as an actual footballer, judged on his ability, he's one of the best to have played in the Premiership. Isn't that what this thread is about? If its a lifetime achievement award give it to Giggs and be done with the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Nistelrooy has far more of a case to be mentioned in this thread, and is far ahead of Suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

The best keeper was Schmeichel, the best defender was Ferdinand, the best midfielder was Keane, the best forward was Henry, and the best player was Ronaldo. Fact.

nope, the best keeper was Neville southall

They can be completely ignored. This is about footballing ability. Maybe you can start a thread about great players in the Premier League who were also great role models and he can be left out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ashley Cole has to be in with a shout here. Consistently the best left back in the world for nearly 10 years imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Van Nistelrooy has far more of a case to be mentioned in this thread, and is far ahead of Suarez

Always like Van Nistelrooy, under rated player. Not that much between them but I'd pick Suarez 9 times out of 10.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Bale barely got a mention...

Van Nistlelrooy has definitely been undermentioned in this thread, but you're way off with saying he's far ahead of Suarez. That's just silly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Macavity. wrote: »
    They can be completely ignored. This is about footballing ability. Maybe you can start a thread about great players in the Premier League who were also great role models and he can be left out of that.

No they can't.

He's a guy who has missed 34 games for racism and cannibalism.

Part of being a great player is others saying "Jesus I'd want him in my side".

Less people would want Suarez than would want Ronaldo / Henry / Shearer / etc.

K-9 wrote: »
    Always like Van Nistelrooy, under rated player. Not that much between them but I'd pick Suarez 9 times out of 10.

You would be wrong then. van Nistelrooy has a better goal scoring record in both the Eredivisie and the PL, he won more than Suarez both team and individual awards.

If this thread is the greatest players to have ever played in the PL, which it is, then VN is ahead of Suarez without a doubt.

Suarez last season was better than any that van Nistlerooy had and he may go on to be considered a better player but overall Ruud would be higher in this situation.
    I'll say it again, 3 full seasons at the top level of club football leaves Suarez at a major disadvantage for these arguments.
    In a few more years he will no doubt feature bar a collapse in form or a massive suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

This is turning into the "better players than Luis Suarez to have played in the premier league" thread but here's a few more

Youri Djorkaeff
    Alen Boksic
    Davor Suker
    Fabrizio Ravanelli
    Gianluca Vialli
    Ruud Gullit
    Henrik Larsson
    Jurgen Klinsmann
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    Pierre Van Hooijdonk
    Mark Viduka
    Karl Heinz Riedle
    Fernando Morientes
    Gianfranco Zola
    Florin Raduciou
    Paolo Futre
    Faustino Asprilla

An obsessed fan could make as good an argument for any of them as for Suarez. In fact most of those are legendary beyond anything Suarez has done, apart from racially abuse and bite opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Giggsy

I'd choose VN over Suarez (at the moment) but it's very close and in no way is he "far ahead". That's just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Zico wrote: »
    This is turning into the "better players than Luis Suarez to have played in the premier league" thread but here's a few more

Youri Djorkaeff
    Alen Boksic
    Davor Suker
    Fabrizio Ravanelli
    Gianluca Vialli
    Ruud Gullit
    Henrik Larsson
    Jurgen Klinsmann
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    Pierre Van Hooijdonk
    Mark Viduka
    Karl Heinz Riedle
    Fernando Morientes
    Gianfranco Zola
    Florin Raduciou
    Paolo Futre
    Faustino Asprilla

An obsessed fan could make as good an argument for any of them as for Suarez. In fact most of those are legendary beyond anything Suarez has done, apart from racially abuse and bite opponents.
    Oh my god. :o

• Advertisement

An obsessed fan could make as good an argument for any of them as for Suarez.

They'd want to pretty obsessed alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Youri Djorkaeff
    Alen Boksic
    Davor Suker
    Fabrizio Ravanelli
    Gianluca Vialli
    Ruud Gullit
    Henrik Larsson
    Jurgen Klinsmann
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    Pierre Van Hooijdonk
    Mark Viduka
    Karl Heinz Riedle
    Fernando Morientes
    Gianfranco Zola
    Florin Raduciou
    Paolo Futre
    Faustino Asprilla

Ok.

You would be wrong then. van Nistelrooy has a better goal scoring record in both the Eredivisie and the PL, he won more than Suarez both team and individual awards.

If this thread is the greatest players to have ever played in the PL, which it is, then VN is ahead of Suarez without a doubt.

The honours argument is one sided. Suarez played a huge part in bringing a team nobody gave a chance to nearly winning a league. Van Nistelrooy had a better team. It's a silly comparison as Suarez was never expected to win a PL medal, that would be exceptional. How much did Van Nistelroy win in England?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Andy Cole got 34 for Newcastle and Kevin Phillips got 30 for Sunderland, but I'd be happy enough to include Suarez in that bracket of player.

I feel sorry for Michael Owen. He was the best player in world, according to Liverpool fans, once now he doesn't even get a mention. That's the fickle world of football fans, Suarez will be forgotten too when the next shiny thing comes along.

Have you ever seen Suarez live though. He is a special player. He could do anything. Why you feel sorry for Michael Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

The honours argument is one sided. Suarez played a huge part in bringing a team nobody gave a chance to nearly winning a league. Van Nistelrooy had a better team. It's a silly comparison as Suarez was never expected to win a PL medal, that would be exceptional. How much did Van Nistelroy win in England?

Man Utd
    Premier League: 2002–03
    FA Cup: 2003–04
    Football League Cup: 2005–06
    FA Community Shield: 2003

Suarez in the same bracket as Kevin Philips.

The hate is strong there.

Loving this thread, it delivers in bucket loads

I'd have to say that Van Nistelrooy is my favourite Utd player of the last 25 years.

Man Utd
    Premier League: 2002–03
    FA Cup: 2003–04
    Football League Cup: 2005–06
    FA Community Shield: 2003

Thought it was a bit under whelming. No reflection on him though.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Suarez in the same bracket as Kevin Philips.

The hate is strong there.

Loving this thread, it delivers in bucket loads

You forgot to say "it's a great filter" isn't that your other one?

• Advertisement

Fair enough we'll leave the honours point out, Suarez will still need to score 0.7 goals a game in la Liga to top VN and that remains to be seen.

The crux of my point is Suarez has no place in this thread if VN doesn't, VN is better placed than Suarez. It's mostly Liverpool fans who are bringing up Suarez and one even put him in the TOP 3!! players to have ever played in the league. That is hilarious.

One of the greatest players to ever play in the league? No, he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Youri Djorkaeff
    Alen Boksic
    Davor Suker
    Fabrizio Ravanelli
    Gianluca Vialli
    Ruud Gullit
    Henrik Larsson
    Jurgen Klinsmann
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    Pierre Van Hooijdonk
    Mark Viduka
    Karl Heinz Riedle
    Fernando Morientes
    Gianfranco Zola
    Florin Raduciou
    Paolo Futre
    Faustino Asprilla

Your forlan was better than suarez was fairly out there but unbelievably you have managed to top it fairly spectacularly.

Nobody has objected strenuosly to Van Nistleroy, that would be silly.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So as the title says, who are the best players to have played in the Prem and it can include players that didn't set the Prem alight but would have been considered one of the best after or before, for me It's:

1. C Ronaldo
    2. Henry

Top two are pretty easy, not sure who to put after that, drogba possibly?

Can you just clarify pls ? 13+ pages so far of debates , and Suarez nut huggers or haters ?

Example

Most Honors - Giggs and most of the class of 92
    Most Appearances - Giggs
    Natural Talent and honors before and after - C Ronaldo
    Before premiership good while there crap - Many of who Zico has mentioned with my shout for Desuamps.
    Exellent while there but win nothing - Suarez (Fabregas won a single FA cup and yet has world cup medals)
    Top Scorer - Shearer
    Loved by all fans - Juninho , Zola , Sir Les

Everyone is the above small group has won more than Suarez , i like watching him but putting him into any list as best EPL players is beyond silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Christ not the money argument. Is David Luiz the best ever Defender in the world?

Fair enough we'll leave the honours point out, Suarez will still need to score 0.7 goals a game in la Liga to top VN and that remains to be seen.

The crux of my point is Suarez has no place in this thread if VN doesn't, VN is better placed than Suarez. It's mostly Liverpool fans who are bringing up Suarez and one even put him in the TOP 3!! players to have ever played in the league. That is hilarious.

I did. Because for talent alone I think he is one of the top three. On talent.

On the basis of talent alone, I would also have Van Persie up there.

• Advertisement

On talent alone? Suarez and RVP top 3?! You're joking surely? Henry,Ronaldo?!

Christ not the money argument. Is David Luiz the best ever Defender in the world?

There is something suspicious about that transfer but I get your point.

I was merely suggesting that Suarez name deserved to be discussed. Some were suggesting that he shouldn't even be in the debate. But surely when someone pays that for a player you have to include him in the debate. Like Bale.

On talent alone? Suarez and RVP top 3?! You're joking surely? Henry,Ronaldo?!

Not in the top 3 but close.

Sure if Berbatov had Ronaldo's work rate he would be the best player in the world on talent. I just think you are changing the subject a bit

If you can say with a straight face and with tinted specs off, that Suarez is one of the greatest players to play in the premier league, I just can't understand.

He isn't. Could do one day but it's very very premature to be mentioning him in this thread.

There is something suspicious about that transfer but I get your point.

I was merely suggesting that Suarez name deserved to be discussed. Some were suggesting that he shouldn't even be in the debate. But surely when someone pays that for a player you have to include him in the debate. Like Bale.

Fair enough, I understand the inclusion of him in the thread but that reasoning was just flabbergasting.

• Advertisement

Sure if Berbatov had Ronaldo's work rate he would be the best player in the world on talent. I just think you are changing the subject a bit

If you can say with a straight face and with tinted specs off, that Suarez is one of the greatest players to play in the premier league, I just can't understand.

He isn't. Could do one day but it's very very premature to be mentioning him in this thread.

So true on just talent the first 11 would be amazing wouldnt win sweet F all but damn it would be pretty when it worked.

For me this thread reads as who are the best players not who have had the best careers.

My definition of best is more concerned with their quality than career statistics.

If I was asked to pick three players, from the premiership era, to put into my team, I would pick Henry, Ronaldo and Suarez. What a forward line that would be. I don't think I would put any other players in ahead of those three.

Is that not fair enough?

Difference is there's no doubt Suarez delivers on his talent and in no way lazy.

For me this thread reads as who are the best players not who have had the best careers.

My definition of best is more concerned with their quality than career statistics.

If I was asked to pick three players, from the premiership era, to put into my team, I would pick Henry, Ronaldo and Suarez. What a forward line that would be. I don't think I would put any other players in ahead of those three.

Is that not fair enough?

Not really no because quality has many different aspects. Alan Shearer had enough quality to win the golden boot 3 times in a row so should be ahead of Suarez also using that logic

Difference is there's no doubt Suarez delivers on his talent and in no way lazy.

Suarez.

Liverpool

Football League Cup (1): 2011–12

Berbatov

Manchester United

Premier League: 2008–09, 2010–11
    Football League Cup: 2009–10
    FA Community Shield: 2010, 2011
    FIFA Club World Cup: 2008

Tottenham Hotspur

Football League Cup: 2007–08

Not really no because quality has many different aspects. Alan Shearer had enough quality to win the golden boot 3 times in a row so should be ahead of Suarez also using that logic

Listen if you want to put Shearer in ahead of Suarez do so. I don't give two shiney ****es. I'm picking those three because I think they are the three best I've seen.

Of course he is. Not as good as Ronaldo who unquestionably takes the accolade but definitely in the upper echelons. He has been simply unstoppable.

Is that not fair enough?

It is absolutely fair, the Liverpool United ****e that goes on in these threads is one of the worst things on this forum.

CSF wrote: »
    It is absolutely fair, the Liverpool United ****e that goes on in these threads is one of the worst things on this forum.

Almost as bad as the LOI v everyone else stuff...

Suarez.

Liverpool

Football League Cup (1): 2011–12

Berbatov

Manchester United

Premier League: 2008–09, 2010–11
    Football League Cup: 2009–10
    FA Community Shield: 2010, 2011
    FIFA Club World Cup: 2008

Tottenham Hotspur

Football League Cup: 2007–08

We've been through the honours thing. It was never expected Suarez would win a PL, bit like Best not winning a WC. Suarez for me is probably a level below the undisputed top 5 or 6 players, hardly a controversial opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement