Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best players to have played in the premiership?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Fescue wrote: »
    Listen if you want to put Shearer in ahead of Suarez do so. I don't give two shiney ****es. I'm picking those three because I think they are the three best I've seen.

Totally agree the best 3 forwards I've seen in the Pl era. With suarez currently 3rd out of the 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Fescue wrote: »
    Listen if you want to put Shearer in ahead of Suarez do so. I don't give two shiney ****es. I'm picking those three because I think they are the three best I've seen.

See that's your preference which is different from what you've been arguing all along, I think most non Liverpool fans can agree that Suarez isn't in the tier of greatest players to ever play in the league off the back of one season.

CSF wrote: »
    Of course he is. Not as good as Ronaldo who unquestionably takes the accolade but definitely in the upper echelons. He has been simply unstoppable.

In one season yes. Doesn't put him in the same bracket as the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

It is absolutely fair, the Liverpool United ****e that goes on in these threads is one of the worst things on this forum.

Its one thing having a differance of opinion on who the best three are but running around trying to explain why a player shouldn't be included in the conversation purely because of club allegiances is desperate stuff. Embarrassing really.

Totally agree the best 3 forwards I've seen in the Pl era. With suarez currently 3rd out of the 3.

Bingo. Agree completely.

See that's your preference which is different from what you've been arguing all along, I think most non Liverpool fans can agree that Suarez isn't in the tier of greatest players to ever play in the league off the back of one season.

In one season yes. Doesn't put him in the same bracket as the others.

How did u think he played the season before last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Almost as bad as the LOI v everyone else stuff...

A million times worse, at least both sides of that argue their actual opinion rather than tinted sunglasses.

There's some confusion it seems, I'd have RVP in my team over Suarez but I can see that Suarez has been the better player over the last year. That's preference

Saying Suarez is one of the greatest players to play in the premier league is delusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Saying Suarez is one of the greatest players to play in the premier league is delusion.

I'm embarrassed for you.

There's some confusion it seems, I'd have RVP in my team over Suarez but I can see that Suarez has been the better player over the last year. That's preference

We get it. You don't think Suarez warrants an inclusion.

It doesn't matter who people put in this thread. You are only getting annoyed as he's an ex Liverpool player.

I wouldnt take it too serious, it's only a bit of crack and discussion

• Advertisement

He has been the better play over the past 2 years you could argue RVP was better in utds title winning season but it was close however for consistency nobody has matched suarez over the past 2 seasons. Suarez is only coming into his prime now while I'd suggest as I did last year that RVP's very best days are gone. RVP is still class and with suarez gone I'd have him and Aguero as the top strikers in the league

rarnes1 wrote: »
    We get it. You don't think Suarez warrants an inclusion.

It doesn't matter who people put in this thread. You are only getting annoyed as he's an ex Liverpool player.

I wouldnt take it too serious, it's only a bit of crack and discussion

That is wrong and you know it, the only other questionable inclusion I've seen in this thread that wasn't taking the píss is Giggs who shouldn't be mentioned but that's already been done to death in this and other threads.

Suarez being one of the greatest players to play in the premier league and even in the top 3 of all time is a new one, and I'm going to point out the craziness of it.

suicide-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1386.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

A million times worse, at least both sides of that argue their actual opinion rather than tinted sunglasses.

Lol, sure, very unbiased posting in the unpopular opinions thread.

"You don't know anything because you don't go to matches" is the standard retort there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I would have Luis Suarez over robin van sicknote . Suarez is a much better all round player then him and can make things happen that most players .

"You don't know anything because you don't go to matches" is the standard retort there.
    My postings in that thread are my actual opinion though, whether you agree with them or not. Not me viewing things through red-tinted glasses with opinions that I'll change drastically if the player moves to my club the following year.

Not that my opinions in the unpopular opinions thread (which are clearly very unpopular to you so seemingly they're in exactly the right place) have any place in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My postings in that thread are my actual opinion though, whether you agree with them or not. Not me viewing things through red-tinted glasses with opinions that I'll change drastically if the player moves to my club the following year.

Not that my opinions in the unpopular opinions thread (which are clearly very unpopular to you so seemingly they're in exactly the right place) have any place in this thread.

Take it to PM guys.

That is wrong and you know it, the only other questionable inclusion I've seen in this thread that wasn't taking the píss is Giggs who shouldn't be mentioned but that's already been done to death in this and other threads.

Suarez being one of the greatest players to play in the premier league and even in the top 3 of all time is a new one, and I'm going to point out the craziness of it.
    You're wrong. I think most people would agree on the top 2 being Ronaldo and Henry, after that there are a number of reasonable selections, many of whom have been mentioned in this thread. Suarez is without question one of them. That you can't admit that because of the team you support is pretty embarassing for all involved.

You're wrong. I think most people would agree on the top 2 being Ronaldo and Henry, after that there are a number of reasonable selections, many of whom have been mentioned in this thread. Suarez is without question one of them. That you can't admit that because of the team you support is pretty embarassing for all involved.

I mentioned a Liverpool player in the names I put up earlier so I don't know why you are talking about club bias

I mentioned a Liverpool player in the names I put up earlier so I don't know why you are talking about club bias
    Because it is so blatantly obvious here. Any neutral or objectively speaking individual couldn't help but be blown away by Suarez's contribution to the Premiership in his relatively short spell there. Only Ronaldo has been as devastating in one particular season as Suarez was this season. Henry wins because he was so good for so long but only Shearer, Vieira, Keane and Van Nistelrooy have legitimate claims to the throne along with Suarez IMO, the greats of the Premier League, Suarez is one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Because it is so blatantly obvious here. Any neutral or objectively speaking individual couldn't help but be blown away by Suarez's contribution to the Premiership in his relatively short spell there. Only Ronaldo has been as devastating in one particular season as Suarez was this season. Henry wins because he was so good for so long but only Shearer, Vieira, Keane and Van Nistelrooy have legitimate claims to the throne along with Suarez IMO, the greats of the Premier League, Suarez is one of them.

Henry in 2004, and arguably in 2003 too, was at least as good, if not better, than Suarez last season. Short memories.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Folks, the Suarez stuff is just noise.

The answer is "Cristiano Ronaldo".

Putting anyone else at the top of the pile is ludicrous.

Henry in 2004, and arguably in 2003 too, was at least as good, if not better.
    As much as I rate Henry, and I rated him very highly, I disagree. For a player who offers as much as Suarez does to the team outside of goals (I also recognise that Henry offered plenty more also) to score 31 goals in 33 games, that is just absolutely devastating. I think we'll only truly realise how big Suarez was to this Liverpool team this season coming when he isn't there.

Folks, the Suarez stuff is just noise.

The answer is "Cristiano Ronaldo".

Putting anyone else at the top of the pile is ludicrous.
    Cristiano Ronaldo is not a plural. Have a look at the thread title again.

Because it is sblatantly obvious here. Any neutral or objectively speaking individual couldn't help but be blown away by Suarez's contribution to the Premiership in his relatively short spell there. Only Ronaldo has been as devastating in one particular season as Suarez was this season. Henry wins because he was so good for so long but only Shearer, Vieira, Keane and Van Nistelrooy have legitimate claims to the throne along with Suarez IMO, the greats of the Premier League, Suarez is one of them.

The only reason you've included RVN in that list is because of the stuff posted earlier, the same case could be made for plenty of other players that you've left out but are ignorant to because somebody hasn't argued their case.

Suarez's time in the premier league, one below average season, one good season when compared to the standard of a good PL striker, and one good season when the standard is set higher at the best strikers in the world. That is nowhere near good enough to be talked about as one of the greatest players to play in the PL.

As for your later post, Alan Shearer scored 31 in 35, Drogba scored 29 in 32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

As much as I rate Henry, and I rated him very highly, I disagree. For a player who offers as much as Suarez does to the team outside of goals (I also recognise that Henry offered plenty more also) to score 31 goals in 33 games, that is just absolutely devastating. I think we'll only truly realise how big Suarez was to this Liverpool team this season coming when he isn't there.
    24 goals, 23 assists. That's what Henry got in 2003 in the league, according to Wikipedia.

Henry was also Ballon D'Or runner up in each of those years.

I think you just don't remember him as well as Suarez, to be honest. Things fresh in the memory are easier to consider.

The only reason you've included RVN in that list is because of the stuff posted earlier, the same case could be made for plenty of other players that you've left out but are ignorant to because somebody hasn't argued their case.

Suarez's time in the premier league, one below average season, one good season when compared to the standard of a good PL striker, and one good season when the standard is set higher at the best strikers in the world. That is nowhere near good enough to be talked about as one of the greatest players to play in the PL.

If you actually think Luis Suarez ever had a below average season in the Premiership, there actually isn't a point in continuing conversation with you about him. The worst case of fan goggles I've seen in these parts. I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭munster87

Best 5 in my eyes for what they could do with a football would be Ronaldo, followed by Henry, Bergkamp, Scholes and Cantona. Also thought Jay Jay Okocha had great technique and could have been rated higher in the PL with a better team.

24 goals, 23 assists. That's what Henry got in 2003 in the league, according to Wikipedia.

Henry was also Ballon D'Or runner up in each of those years.

I think you just don't remember him as well as Suarez, to be honest. Things fresh in the memory are easier to consider.
    Fair enough, either way they were both exceptional. No debating that.

If you actually think Luis Suarez ever had a below average season in the Premiership, there actually isn't a point in continuing conversation with you about him. The worst case of fan goggles I've seen in these parts. I'll leave you to it.

He did on Wikipedia the stats don't lie . He has been class since he came to England obviously last season was his best. It must be remembered that suarez doesn't take pens which nearly all the other great strikers mentioned did.

He did on Wikipedia the stats don't lie . He has been class since he came to England obviously last season was his best. It must be remembered that suarez doesn't take pens which nearly all the other great strikers mentioned did.
    Stats lie all the time, although you may be being sarcastic here.

• Advertisement

Cristiano Ronaldo is not a plural. Have a look at the thread title again.

Was the title changed?

In the context of being called one of the greatest players to ever play in the PL, Suarez's 2011/2012 season was terrible

He is not near the top tier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Ronaldo was the best player to have played in the Prem. But Henry was better in the Premier League if yas get me

Stats lie all the time, although you may be being sarcastic here.

I was being sarcastic people will twist stats whatever way they want to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Was the title changed?
    Not sure, if there was a thread looking for THE best player to have played in the Premiership, I think it would be close enough to unanimous.

darced wrote: »
    Boy did Luis Suarez rustle some jimmies in three short years, what a hero.

Unreal.

Makes for hilarious reading tbh!

Ronaldo
    Henry
    Shearer
    Scholes
    Keane
    Giggs
    Van Nistelrooy
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Suarez
    Ashley Cole
    Veron
    Shevchenko
    Beckham
    Gazza
    Drogba
    Vieira
    Makelele
    Klinsmann
    Pires
    Terry
    Wright
    Rooney
    Van Persie
    Cantona
    Irwin
    Le Tissier
    Toure
    Aguero
    Bale
    Zola
    Gullit
    Weah
    Schmeichel
    Stam
    Bergkamp
    Vidic

Ronaldo
    Henry
    Shearer
    Scholes
    Keane
    Giggs
    Van Nistelrooy
    Suarez
    Drogba
    Makelele
    Klinsmann
    Rooney
    Van Persie
    Cantona
    Toure
    Aguero
    Bale
    Gullit
    Weah
    Schmeichel
    Stam
    Vidic

Weah scored 4 goals in the league

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Weah scored 4 goals in the league

Weah was world player of the year and a phenomenon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Jay jay ocha (Sp)

Gazza

Matt Le Tissier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Fernando Hierro was okay there at one stage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

darced wrote: »
    Boy did Luis Suarez rustle some jimmies in three short years, what a hero.

That's why we loved the chap. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

1. Ronaldo
    2. Henry
    3. Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Blatter posted Drogbas stats earlier, not that impressive, Suarez would match or beat him albeit a shorter time frame.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Diego Forlan has two European Golen Boots and a World Cup Golden Ball, that's got to make him the best South American striker to have played in the Premier League.

Hernan Crespo, Sergio Aguero, Faustino Asprilla and Luis Suarez would next best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Zico wrote: »
    Diego Forlan has two European Golen Boots and a World Cup Golden Ball, that's got to make him the best South American striker to have played in the Premier League.

Hernan Crespo, Sergio Aguero, Faustino Asprilla and Luis Suarez would next best.

Faustino Asprilla ahead of Tevez?? That stinks of United bitterness tbh. 3 League titles in England and a CL title and FA Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

8-10 wrote: »
    Faustino Asprilla ahead of Tevez?? That stinks of United bitterness tbh. 3 League titles in England and a CL title and FA Cup

Honestly he slipped my mind. He beats the lot of them.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement