Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping sites with campfires? Dog/kid friendly site?

Options
  • 12-07-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Thinking of going tent camping next week and am open to almost wherever in the country, perhaps staying away from the very north and Northwest region. We have kids, a very quiet dog, and will be bringing our bikes. Would like to light a fire, but every campsite I've seen has been on lawn :confused: and don't allow open fires.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a suitable campsite or even a dog friendly one they enjoy. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hidden valley in Wicklow covers all of what you want. There is a large area created at the bend of the river that runs through the site that you can do proper camp fires, as the area is covered in stone. Most people bring their chairs down for a few hours and there is plenty of space for fires, they even sell the firewood in the camp reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No fires are allowed on the ground on any family/dog friendly site I've been to. But you can bring a BBQ and light a fire in that. I have a little folding one that I use.

The one exception is Hidden Valley in Rathdrum. They have a shallow river running through it with a stone beach besde it and fires are allowed there. They even sell bags of wood onsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jamerican

delly wrote: »
    Hidden valley in Wicklow covers all of what you want. There is a large area created at the bend of the river that runs through the site that you can do proper camp fires, as the area is covered in stone. Most people bring their chairs down for a few hours and there is plenty of space for fires, they even sell the firewood in the camp reception.

Ugh, I am an idiot, THANK YOU!! I was on their website earlier and for some reason didn't see the tent open and ruled it out. They are going on the list, thank you!

And I am thinking of going to 2 maybe 3 places, so if anyone has anymore nice spots, please recommend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Cronin's Yard, Beaufort, Killarney has fire pits in the camping area.

You could ask about the dog issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Lakeside Campsite in Mountshannon supply fire pits for a refundable deposit.

http://www.lakesideireland.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chrisr

Hi,

Could anybody tell me are campfires/Pits allowed at this location.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

delly wrote: »

Being able to have a proper campfire, even if it has to be down by the river, is one of the nice things about Hidden Valley. Great facilities for kids, but plan to go early to the pond for paddle boats & kayaks. For me the big downside for family camping there is that one can not drive onto the camping field and park the car beside the tent.

Advertisement