Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

greatest premiership team of all time

• 12-07-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭

In line with another thread that's just been started what about the greatest team to have played in the Pl era. The team I've picked would be based on their best season as opposed to picking somebody based on consistency and trophies won over a number of years.

Schmeichel
    zabelata adams terry cole
    Keane Viera
    scholes
    Ronaldo henry suarez

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Schmeichel

Cole
    Ferdinand
    Adams
    G Neville

Keane
    Vieira
    Scholes

Henry
    Shearer
    Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

___________________Gk - Schmeichel_____________________

Rb - G. Neville____Cb - Vidic _____Cb -Terry ____Lb - Ashley Cole

______________Cm - Keane_____ Cm - Vieira_________________

____________________Cm - Scholes_________________________

Fw - C.Ronaldo________Fw - Van Nistelrooy__________Fw - Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Schmeichel
    G. Neville
    Vidic
    Adams
    Cole
    Keane----Vieira----Scholes
    ---Ronaldo
    Shearer
    Henry

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

LostBoy101 wrote: »

Schmeichel
    G. Neville---VidicMcGrath
    Adams
    Cole
    Keane----Vieira----Scholes
    ---Ronaldo
    Shearer
    Henry

Actually think its hard to argue against this team, sure some would say Suarez, Zola or Bergkamp could deserve a place upfront or Gerrard/Lampard for example in midfield and Terry or someone similar in Def but the only change I would make is McGrath instead of Vidic as Paul played in the Premiership (albeit briefly) and he's probably still my favourite ever player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Actually think its hard to argue against this team, sure some would say Suarez, Zola or Bergkamp could deserve a place upfront or Gerrard/Lampard for example in midfield and Terry or someone similar in Def but the only change I would make is McGrath instead of Vidic as Paul played in the Premiership (albeit briefly) and he's probably still my favourite ever player.
    I choose Vidic as I never seen McGrath play during my generation. I was thinking of adding in Suarez or Bergkamp but Shearer's goal scoring record places himself in my team of PL greats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's very hard to judge tbh. The quality of player in the premiership has gone way way up.

What I mean is that the goalscoring record of Shearer compares to Ronaldo or Suarez but I don't think he compares tbh.

Even as an Arsenal fan, I'd question Adams. If this was a team of the players playing in their prime, would he get in? I mean how would he hold up against people like Ferdinand, Kompany etc. Also don't forget players like Hierro and Pique too.

I mean if you were a world class forward now, not someone playing back then but playing these days - would you rather be up against Adams or someone else?

Edited: don't get me wrong I love Adams. I just feel there's an argument that if you transported someone like say Yaya back 15 years, he'd have an absolute field day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Schmeichel
    Zabaleta
    Vidic
    Terry
    Cole
    Lampard----Vieira----Scholes
    ---Ronaldo
    Bergkamp
    Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Schmeichel
    G. Neville, Carvalho, Terry, Cole
    Yaya Toure, Makelele, Scholes
    Ronaldo, Drogba, Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Schmeichel

Bale
    Desailly
    Terry
    Irwin

Keane
    Gullit
    Giggs

Henry
    Shearer
    Cantona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Don't really get the Drogba inclusions, he was poor more seasons than not in the league. Certainly doesn't deserve to be there ahead of the likes of van Nistelrooy/Shearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

P. Schmeichel

G. Neville - J. Stam - V. Kompany - D. Irwin

P. Viera - P. Scholes

C. Ronaldo - T. Henry - R.Giggs

Shearer

Subs:
    S. Given
    T. Adams
    S. Campbell
    Ashley Cole
    J.Carrigher
    Roy keane
    G.Speed
    D. Ginola
    G. Zola
    R.vNistelrooy
    D.Bergkamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cech
    Neville JT Stam Cole
    Ronaldo Keane Vieira Giggs
    Henry Bergkamp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

......................Schmiechel.........................

G Neville.......Stam........Kompany.....Cole

............................Keane...........................

.................Scholes........Toure...................

.......Ronaldo.......Shearer...........Henry.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Bloomin' Man U love-in thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

oldyouth wrote: »

They have been pretty decent in the PL era so no surprise . G Neville is the only one Id think is out of place. Good consistent player won lots of titles but I think neville at his best and zabaleta at his best is no contest.

oldyouth wrote: »

Weird that...you'd almost think that they've dominated the Premiership era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Schmeichel

Lauren Vidic Adams Cole

Keane Vieria Lampard

Ronaldo Henry

Shearer

People will probably disagree with Lauren's inclusion. I loved watching him play in that Arsenal team. Fantastic going forward....Was hard to leave out John Terry, Bergkamp, Van Nistlerooy too. And Yaya Toure....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Would Veira and Keane not be two very similar players to have in the same team?

My Team

Cech

G-Neville-Terry-Stam-Cole

Cantona-Viera-Scholes-Bale

Suarez- Van Nistelroy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

___________________Gk - Schmeichel_____________________

Rb - G. Neville____Cb - Vidic _____Cb -Terry ____Lb - Ashley Cole

______________Cm - Keane_____ Cm - Vieira_________________

____________________Cm - Scholes_________________________

Fw - C.Ronaldo________Fw - Van Nistelrooy__________Fw - Henry

You wouldn't happen to be a Man Utd fan by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Schemical

Irwin
    Terry
    Kompany
    Cole

Beckham
    Keane
    Gerrard

Shearer
    Henry
    Bergkamp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thats the best team I can think of.

Schmeichel
    Irwin
    Adams
    Terry
    Cole
    Keane
    Viera
    Gerrard
    Ronaldo
    Shearer
    Henry

Subs: Seaman, Dixon, Stam, Lampard, Zola, Rooney, Bergkamp

You wouldn't happen to be a Man Utd fan by any chance?

Man Utd wouldn't happen to have dominated the Premier League era by any chance?

I'm not a fan and they have most of the players in my team too.
    GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    V. Kompany
    Kompany

TIVp2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Players I've seen (so since about 2000)

Cech
    Zabaleta Campbell Ferdinand Cole
    Viera Scholes
    Gerrard
    Ronaldo Drogba Henry

Campbell versus Terry versus Vidic was a tough call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Van der Sar

Neville Vidic Terry Cole

. . . . . . . Keane

. . . . . Vieira Gerrard

Ronaldo. . Bergkamp. . . Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Only picking players I'm old enough to remember properly:

Cech
    Zabaleta--Carvalho----Vidic--Cole
    Mascherano----Toure
    Ronaldo
    Gerrard
    Pires
    Henry

1) Right backs are pretty weak, I wouldn't say Zabaleta is anything special but he edges the likes of Sagna and Ivanovic, would have only caught the tail end of Neville's career, who by all accounts, wasn't anything special either.
    2) Mascherano is arguably a biased pick, but IMO he was very under rated by a lot of people when he played at Liverpool. Also, for the sake of a balanced tea, he gets in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Schmeichel
    Neville-Carvalho-Terry-Cole
    Keane

Scholes-Lampard
    Henry
    Ronaldo
    Shearer

I think Lampard has to be in the line-up for his stats alone, 2nd on the all time assists chart, 5th in the goal scorers. The next closest midfielder is Gerrard in 17th. Hard to leave out Giggs, he probably deserves it over Ronaldo for longevity but Ronaldo was one of those once in a generation type players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Schmeichel
    Zabaleta Stam Terry Cole
    Ronaldo Keane Viera Pires
    Suarez Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Schmeichel
    Neville-Adams-Bruce-Irwin
    --Keane-Viera--
    Ronaldo-Bergkamp-Henry
    Shearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Schmeichel
    Nevillle-Campbell-Stam-Cole
    Ronaldo-Viera- Keane- Pires
    Suarez--- Henry

Subs: Van Nistelrooy, Vidic,Bergkamp, Gerrard, Van Der Sar, Torres, Gallas, Terry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

They have been pretty decent in the PL era so no surprise . G Neville is the only one Id think is out of place. Good consistent player won lots of titles but I think neville at his best and zabaleta at his best is no contest.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Shmeikel

Irwin
    Campbell
    Stam
    Cole

Vieira
    Scholes
    Keane

Ronaldo
    Shearer
    Henry

I think Keane has made every team but if English fans made a best Prem eleven I wonder if he'd make it I'm not so sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Shmeikel

Irwin
    Campbell
    Stam
    Cole

Vieira
    Scholes
    Keane

Ronaldo
    Shearer
    Henry

I think Keane has made every team but if English fans made a best Prem eleven I wonder if he'd make it I'm not so sure.

Yup. People have also included McGrath and Irwin. There's no way that nearly a third of this team are Irish.

One of the Keane/Vieira positions HAS to go to Makelele. He was the best DMF in the world over the last 2 decades.

McGrath's inclusion is laughable.

An unprofessional alcoholic who was injured for every second game and failed when he was given a shot at a big club.

Yes he produced some fantastic displays (e.g. Giants Stadium) but in the context of a greatest Premiership XI of all time?

No chance.

McGrath's inclusion is laughable.

An unprofessional lush who was injured for every second game.

wow - such respect for a real Irish legend - ask anyone who played with or against him , and they'll tell you how good he was - yes, he had personal problems , but hardly deserving of such insensitive jibes

thebaz wrote: »
    wow - such respect for a real Irish legend - ask anyone who played with or against him , and they'll tell you how good he was - yes, he had personal problems , but hardly deserving of such insensitive jibes

That sort of stuff is floated in every sport..."he was an incredible ball striker" in golf is a great one. It's the hallmark of someone who had potential and threw it away.

McGrath on occasion produced superb performances but the bottom line is that he was an unprofessional player and a failure at Manchester United.

To be honest, it's an affront to truly great players like Ronaldo, Henry, Schmiechel, etc to have someone like Paul McGrath even mentioned in the context of something like this. If he wasn't Irish, he wouldn't get a mention. If I was picking a team like this, I wouldn't let him into the stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Schmeichel

Zabaleta
    Adams
    Terry
    Cole

Keane
    Scholes

Ronaldo
    Bergkamp
    Henry

Shearer

Voila!

If I was picking a team like this, I wouldn't let him into the stadium.

thats your opinion , which to me is uneducated - but to deride an Irish legend , who gave so much , much more than any of todays generation, with cheap insensitive comments is what made me so ****ing angry

thebaz wrote: »
    thats your opinion , which to me is uneducated - but to deride an Irish legend , who gave so much , much more than any of todays generation, with cheap insensitive comments is what made me so ****ing angry

You're entitled to your opinion.

But to claim that an alcoholic who would routinely miss training and who couldn't train "gave much more than any of today's generation" is real misty eyed stuff.

I'm all for romanticism but Paul McGrath isn't fit to lace the boots of someone like Vincent Kompany, Jaap Stam or Nemanja Vidic.

Paul McGrath isn't fit to lace the boots of someone like Vincent Kompany
    Vincent Kompany is the most overrated defender of the last 10 years. Seriously, he's not that good.

But to claim that an alcoholic who would routinely miss training and who couldn't train "gave much more than any of today's generation" is real misty eyed stuff.

he missed training because his knee was ****ed- he had a drink problem , so had Maradonna , that didn't stop him being the best player in the world - it was your original snide insenitive comment about McGrath that i took issue with (which you changed) - anyway eneogh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm all for romanticism but Paul McGrath isn't fit to lace the boots of someone like Vincent Kompany, Jaap Stam or Nemanja Vidic.

Ah would ya stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

This thread is about one season wonders and McGrath was unbelievable in the '92-'93 season.

Ian Harte is another one who had one mega season, but wouldn't be on any greatest players list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Wasn't he done for performance enhancing drugs? Alcoholism is an illness not a choice.

As for right back, I've always thought Carr and Finnan were class but the whole bias thing could play it's part with those thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

GK Van Der Saar

RB Zabaleta CB Ferdinand CB Terry LB Cole
    CM Lampard CM Keane CM Viera
    FW Ronaldo CF Shearer FW Henry

I feel dirty for leaving Denis Bergkamp out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

erkifino wrote: »
    Wasn't he done for performance enhancing drugs? Alcoholism is an illness not a choice.

Not while in the premier league ;)

Advertisement