Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence

Options
  • 12-07-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I had a call from the TV licence Inspector during the week. I was out the back so didn't hear him but s/he saw TV in the living room. I inherited the TV from previous tenants and I do watch it now and then but not enough to warrant paying €160. If I get rid of it now, can I get away without paying do you think? There was no name on the docket put through the letter box. S/he's due to call back within 10 days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I had a call from the TV licence Inspector during the week. I was out the back so didn't hear him but s/he saw TV in the living room. I inherited the TV from previous tenants and I do watch it now and then but not enough to warrant paying €160. If I get rid of it now, can I get away without paying do you think? There was no name on the docket put through the letter box. S/he's due to call back within 10 days.

Gets rid of it and there is nothing for him to see. Make sure it's not anywhere in the house. It's presence is enough to have to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yes if you get rid of the TV you do not require a licence.

However if you have a set top box connected to a monitor you still require a licence.

You could sell it and with it pay the TV licence, if they don't except you got rid of it. What kind of TV is it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭sparkledrum

One of those old big ones. It works fine. I've offered it to my friend though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Then again, you did have a TV when the inspector called, and at that point you had no license.

I'm not fully sure that getting rid of it now absolves you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

We had a similar situation. Old crappy TV that wasn't worth having. Was told because it was there when the TV licence inspector called around we must get one no matter if we get rid of it. It isn't unknown for them to lie/be misinformed so could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do not coach people on how to break the law.

I think you will have to pay. find out what the last date that the premises had a licence from, buy a licence, get rid of TV and if you want, use the licence on a another property from that date.
    It isn't unknown for them to lie/be misinformed so could be wrong.
    I think you are stretching things here.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I had a tv in my apartment that belonged to the landlord but I did not use. It was not connected and had no plug. I also had no subscription to upc or sky etc,
    The inspector said to have the tv removed from the premises so I contacted the landlord who took it back. I did'nt have to get a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

AryaStark wrote: »
    I had a tv in my apartment that belonged to the landlord but I did not use. It was not connected and had no plug. I also had no subscription to upc or sky etc,
    The inspector said to have the tv removed from the premises so I contacted the landlord who took it back. I did'nt have to get a license.

I guess the difference is that I did'nt have it connected or ever use it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

That shouldn't have mattered.

I imagine it is more that the TV was unusable.

You need a licence even if it isn't used or connected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 sbell2205

Hi, I had a tv inspector call last night. We have a tv in our apt but don't use it. He took my name and said i have to get a licence i refused and he wrote on the bottom of the form "wiling to go to court". I live in a rented flat but i never signed a lease so technically i don't live there. If i get a letter from them should i send the letter back saying this person does not live here. Also we are gonna dump d telly coz its not in use and it a big float of a thing. Does anybody have any views on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

What happens if you don't have RTE? I use an old sky box which doesn't transmit RTE channels & I don't have an aerial. Do I still need to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Help!!!! wrote: »
    What happens if you don't have RTE? I use an old sky box which doesn't transmit RTE channels & I don't have an aerial. Do I still need to pay?

Yes, whether or not you watch RTE, whether or not you receive RTE, if your TV is capable of receiving the broadcast signals, you have to pay the TV licence.

sbell2205 wrote: »
    Hi, I had a tv inspector call last night. We have a tv in our apt but don't use it. He took my name and said i have to get a licence i refused and he wrote on the bottom of the form "wiling to go to court". I live in a rented flat but i never signed a lease so technically i don't live there. If i get a letter from them should i send the letter back saying this person does not live here. Also we are gonna dump d telly coz its not in use and it a big float of a thing. Does anybody have any views on this.

Presumably the inspector saw the TV, and since you gave your name and probably admitted you lived there, you're liable for a TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sbell2205

Presumably the inspector saw the TV, and since you gave your name and probably admitted you lived there, you're liable for a TV licence.

No he didnt see the tv, he didn come inside, it is a student house and none of the other residents will pay for it.

No he didnt see the tv, he didn come inside, it is a student house and none of the other residents will pay for it.

Why did he tell you to get a licence then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

If your name wasn't on document put through the door then I wouldn't worry

I live in a rented flat but i never signed a lease so technically i don't live there.
    Do you become one of the undead each time you cross the threshold? The inspector has seen you there. Will you lie in front of the judge and risk a few years in prison for perjury?
    If i get a letter from them should i send the letter back saying this person does not live here.
    It's An Post, they know you live there.
    Also we are gonna dump d telly
    Sell it, freecycle it or take it to a designated recycling centre.

http://www.freetradeireland.ie/
    https://groups.freecycle.org/group/freecycleDublin/posts/all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Victor wrote: »
    It's An Post, they know you live there.

This keeps being said. Why are they sending letter to the occupier and coming out to get a name if they already have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This keeps being said. Why are they sending letter to the occupier and coming out to get a name if they already have one?
    I figured when people say "they know you live there" means if it goes to court then an post might show records of lots of post going to that address with your name on it.

No plug on the tv was mentioned, this makes no difference, even if you rip the tuner out they can deem it "repairable" if they want. I am not sure if there are many cases of this.

One of my tvs can get a plug in tuner inserted, it never came with one, not sure if they could call that repairable. I doubt it since if they could then I suppose it means any monitor is "repairable".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Brenty

Just after getting a letter in the door that a tv inspector called but we were not at home. We are currently renting but moving out of the apartment in a month. It said they would revisit in 10 days. Any advice i.e. should we pay it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Are you sure it belonged to the previous tenant and it doesn't belong to or they didn't give it to the landlord or anything. To be on the safe side id offer the landlord it first...

Brenty wrote: »
    Any advice i.e. should we pay it?
    If you have a television, you are meant to pay. If you move, you can take it with you to your next address.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Victor wrote:
    I think you are stretching things here.

I've had the inspector say that he observed a TV/aerial/Satellite dish at my old apartment,
    There was no aerial or satellite dish and I was on the 2nd floor of the building so no way to see if I had a tv short of a cherry picker

In my current address [where I did have a license but it didn't show on their end] Same thing, observed a TV/aerial/Satellite dish,
    Again there no aerial or satellite dish and he could only have seen the TV by trespassing.

I'm pretty sure the inspectors just tick that box if they don't speak to anyone at the address

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just had to sign for what turned out to be a summons for court for no tv licence. They got my surname total wrong but ignoring that, anyone know what I can do before the court date?
    I'm told buying stamps is pointless at this stage

physioman wrote: »
    If your name wasn't on document put through the door then I wouldn't worry

+1.

forget about it and don't answer the door unless you know the person. They cant fine or take a person called "the occupier" to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

david75 wrote: »
    Just had to sign for what turned out to be a summons for court for no tv licence. They got my surname total wrong but ignoring that, anyone know what I can do before the court date?
    I'm told buying stamps is pointless at this stage

Buy a licence and produce it in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

My tv license has been expired just over a year, I was working abroad etc for long periods, I'm now back full time and intend to renew it. Will I need to pay arrears as such?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Don't give advice here that could get others into legally dubious situations.

I didn't give any advice.
    I explained what I personally have done in the past.

If I said I murdered someone, is that to be taken as advising others to do likewise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The sooner we get the broadcast charge brought in the better.

Advertisement