Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaning the soother

Options
  • 12-07-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi,

Our little one is 18 month and used to only have soother at night and when snoozing in the car. They now want it all the time in the car and still want it after waking up and asking for it more. Any advice on how to get rid of the soother???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is he/she sick or unwell at all? My little girl wanted the soother a bit more when she was under the weather.

To get rid of it for us was just cold turkey. We put the soothers in a bag on the door at night, and in the morning there was a couple of chocolate coins there. Dummy fairy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We never really used a soother but most people I know who did found the cold turkey approach the best-but do a good soother hunt before you get rid of them because some children will find one somewhere hidden away! We went cold turkey on bottles and after a night or two she stopped looking for them entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

No- seems fine think it's habit. At what age did you go cold turkey??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We waited for our lad to relinquish it himself. We spoke about them being things babies have and not big kids like him, and eventually when he was a few months over 2 he came to me with them and put them all into the bin.

I didn't want to take them from him when he was teething as they were a great comfort to him when his molars were developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Just after my son turned 2 we decided to only allow him to have his soother at nap & bedtime. Then after about a forthnight we stopped it at naptime & then at bedtime.
    He really loved his soother so I was prepared for it to be a battle but doing it gradually really seemed to reduced his dependence on it & therefore his resistance to giving it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

My eldest is 2in august and I'm. Thinking of weaning her off the dummy lately she wants it all the time have no idea how to even start x

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

My eldest is 2in august and I'm. Thinking of weaning her off the dummy lately she wants it all the time have no idea how to even start x

Same here betsie, wants it all the time at home with me, in creche he can manage without it only uses it at nap time, i just dread weaning him off it he loves having two in his hand at bedtime!!!! swapping them in and out of mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

a good way of getting rid of them is the 'dummy fairy', make a big song and dance about finding all the dummys and putting them in a bag outside the childs door. in return the dummy fairy will provide a big boy or girl toy... something they are really into that you can remind the child that it is from the dummy fairy!

what we used to do at work (in a creche) was bringing the child to the baby room and again make a big song and dance of giving the dummys to the babies... ask the staff in the room to give a token back to the child

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

I had my 2nd little girl only last week and I kinda thought/ hoped that she would see the baby with one and not want one but no she wants 2now haha oops

Advertisement