Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting out

• 12-07-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I'm 15 and want to get into motorbikes. Any tips on a scrambler that is suitable for learning and and I can ride to get my licence ? Also what equipment do I need

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

There's a lot of info in the sticky at the top of the forum.

If you want to go on public roads a scrambler is no good. You need something road legal.

You'll also have to be 16. Think you're limited to 125cc at that age too.

Helmet is the only legally required equipment but you want fully armoured gear. Boots, gloves, jacket and trousers. Its not cheap.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

You will have to do a theory test, eyesight test, get A1 learner permit and then do IBT before you can legally go on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 YoungTippLad

I have read all of that. I was wondering what bike is good to start on ? Live in the countryside so not too worried about guards and that tis mainly something that I can learn to maintain and have some fun on if that helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

So you're 15 and want to start off on an unlicensed, uninsured off-roader.

I predict lots of fun. :-/

Well wanting to fix up a dirt bike and ride it around a field isn't the worst ? What about all the young lads driving machinery worth 10s of thousands on main roads ? I'm not posing a risk to any drivers ? And don't pretend like it doesn't happen all around the country

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Well wanting to fix up a dirt bike and ride it around a field isn't the worst ? What about all the young lads driving machinery worth 10s of thousands on main roads ? I'm not posing a risk to any drivers ? And don't pretend like it doesn't happen all around the country

If you stay off public roads you aren't doing anything wrong. Problem would be transporting the bike.

I would wait until you were 16 and spend that money on a road legal 125.

What style of bike do you prefer? Sportbike, naked, cruiser, dirtbike?

You can get a 125 of any of them.

Do you have any bikers in your family?
    Will be a hard sell to your parents if they have no experience with bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Your asking us to condone driving whilst uninsured and unlicenced? As someone who has to pay my tax insurance and ibt etc I hope u get caught, prosecuted and banned. If you adopt the mature attitude and do things properly from the start then it will stand to you in the future. The sooner you build up no claims bonus on insurance and get your full licence then the cheaper it will be in the long run.

Even on a moped or 125 all it takes is some ejit in a car to pull out in front of you and potentially you'll be in a wheelchair for the rest of ur life or worse a coffin. Getting the proper training and learning properly will hopefully give u the experience to avoid these type of situations.

Seeing as my parents both work and pay there taxes and aren't a burden to the state I don't think it's harsh to havta tax a bike that would be used for leisure around a field ? All I want is to get going and see if biking is for me ? As I've said it's more of a pet project to learn the mechanics aswell. Also nobody in my family are bikers but they have said if I want to get one it's grand but I havta pay which is fair.I think a dirt bike would be more my style any suggestions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

fair fecks to ya! this is how i started on bikes, is there any of your mates that have bikes? maybe have a rattle on one of theirs to see how you get on. one of them pit bike off road style might suit as they have no clutch to worry about. they are small and easy to push out to the field.

Advertisement